Tv Question.

Nationality: American

I have been here for 5 months on 2 TV's and I've been to Poi Pet 1 time for extending my T.V. and a 2nd time for a VOA I suppose it was. Then I went to Vientiane and obtained another T.V. and it's expiring on the 27th of this month. That means 2 Thai TV's,2 Cambodian TV's, and 1 Laos TV in my passport. Will that be a problem? I can extend it like normal from Poi Pet correct? I have an onward ticket like always and I've never overstayed or received any red stamps or anything. TIA.

P.S. I've searched the forums but have not found anything like my situation. Similar but I just want to be sure and get some advice from the Pro's.

I am not sure what you have had or have so lets start with terms - a tourist visa you obtain from a Consulate and for you would provide a 60 day stay. You could then extend that for 30 days at an immigration office for 1,900 baht. There is no current limit on the number of these or the number of days in Thailand.

An exit of Thailand and immediate return would get you a 30 day visa exemption stamp. That is limited to 90 days in a six month period.

Entry on visa or extensions of visa entry do not count against the 90 day limit. So the thing to do is keep the visa exempt entry to 60 days or less in any six month period. You would then be safe for another 30 day entry at any time if you failed to obtain a tourist visa for some reason.

It does not seem you will have a problem if "TV" were really tourist visas issued by Consulates. But you mention VOA and you are not even eligible for such a visa so have to assume that was a 30 day visa exempt entry.

All of my Tourist Visa's were obtained at consulates.

Here is a run down:

1. First 60 days tourist visa from Washington D.C. Thai Embassy.

2. Extended 30 days at Poi Pet, Cambodia.

3. Visa exempt stamp at Poi pet, Cambodia.

4. 2nd Tourist Visa from Vientiane, Laos Thai Embassy.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Yes you should be able to extend as normal - the only exceptions have been a few cases of only providing a 7 day extension if person was unable to show a ticket out near the end of the 30 days requested. But those have been very rare.

Here is a run down:

Hope this helps. Thanks.

I am not sure how you are extending your visa in Cambodia. When you extend a tourist visa, you do it within Thailand at an immigration office.

Here is a run down:

Hope this helps. Thanks.

I am not sure how you are extending your visa in Cambodia. When you extend a tourist visa, you do it within Thailand at an immigration office.

Yes I do not understand no. 2 either.

.... extensions of visa entry do not count against the 90 day limit ......

A 7 day extension was surely used as part of the 90 in 180 in the case of my colleague last year.

Also remember that the 30+30+30 does not equal 90 but rather 87 as you will go out on the last day of your current stamp and return on the same day, utilising the first day of your second stamp. You will also leave on day "90" when still in time and thus lose 3 x 1 days for each 90. Don't make the mistake of using Excel to do this unless you work on a 29 day period as the maximum.

And to be helpful we need to know your colleague obtained this 7 day extension. In place of 30 day tourist visa extension? Additional to tourist visa extension? Additional to 90 day non immigrant visa entry? Additional to a 30 day visa exempt entry?

Here is a run down:

Hope this helps. Thanks.

I was told by more than one person that I would have to go to Poi Pet other wise Thai immigration would only give me 7 days. So I just walk on in Thai immigration and get it stamped for another 30 days?

.... extensions of visa entry do not count against the 90 day limit ......

A 7 day extension was surely used as part of the 90 in 180 in the case of my colleague last year.

Also remember that the 30+30+30 does not equal 90 but rather 87 as you will go out on the last day of your current stamp and return on the same day, utilising the first day of your second stamp. You will also leave on day "90" when still in time and thus lose 3 x 1 days for each 90. Don't make the mistake of using Excel to do this unless you work on a 29 day period as the maximum.

And it is 6 months, not 180 days. Was it a 7 day extension on a visa exempt entry, or a 7 day extension on a visa? If it was an extension on a visa, then they were mistaken when they did it.

I was told by more than one person that I would have to go to Poi Pet other wise Thai immigration would only give me 7 days. So I just walk on in Thai immigration and get it stamped for another 30 days?

They may request to see an outbound ticket for the end of the 30 day extension. If they request it and you do not have one, they may only give you 7 days. From what I hear though, they do not seem to ask for it too often. Yes, just go to immigration about a week before your 60 days are up. Look at other posts about extensions, I think you might need a couple of pictures, and maybe a copy of your passport. Never had one myself.

I don't know how you would be getting an extension in Cambodia though. As soon as you leave Thailand your visa is finished and void unless you have a re-entry permit. And then if you have a re-entry permit, it does not give you any extra days.

Edited by jstumbo

They may request to see an outbound ticket for the end of the 30 day extension. If they request it and you do not have one, they may only give you 7 days. From what I hear though, they do not seem to ask for it too often. Yes, just go to immigration about a week before your 60 days are up. Look at other posts about extensions, I think you might need a couple of pictures, and maybe a copy of your passport. Never had one myself.

I don't know how you would be getting an extension in Cambodia though. As soon as you leave Thailand your visa is finished and void unless you have a re-entry permit. And then if you have a re-entry permit, it does not give you any extra days.

The visa expires on the 27th of this month which is in 2 days . Is that still ok? I can go tomorrow and I do have an outbound ticket.

The visa expires on the 27th of this month which is in 2 days . Is that still ok? I can go tomorrow and I do have an outbound ticket.

yes

You seem to be exiting Thailand and coming back for a 30 day visa exempt entry rather than making extensions of stay. You pay 1,900 baht and submit a TM.7 form with your photo for an extension of stay.

As said before you are only allowed 90 days of these entries in a six month period. If you currently have a 60 day visa entry would advise you to make sure to use the TM.7 extension of stay at immigration office (don't leave Thailand) as we can not be sure how much you have used.

You seem to be exiting Thailand and coming back for a 30 day visa exempt entry rather than making extensions of stay. You pay 1,900 baht and submit a TM.7 form with your photo for an extension of stay.

As said before you are only allowed 90 days of these entries in a six month period. If you currently have a 60 day visa entry would advise you to make sure to use the TM.7 extension of stay at immigration office (don't leave Thailand) as we can not be sure how much you have used.

Thanks alot guys. I just came back from the Immigration Bureau/Madhouse and waited about 3 hours and received the extension no problems. They didnt ask for an outbound ticket either.