60 Day Extension On Visa Exempt Entry

Re previous post " Visa Free Change to Non-O (Married to Thai)",

Many many thanks to Norrad for his encouragement to give it a try, and for posing the question about applying for the 1 time 60 day extension. Based on that, I told my (Thai) wife that before I wasted any time and money leaving Thailand, I wanted to give Suan Phlu a try.

She called Suan Phlu about getting a Non-Imm 'O' visa with only 15 days remaining on my visa exempt entry stamp. She got a pretty clear and simple answer to that;

1) The remaining period had to be at least 21 days.

2) As the spouse of a Thai, there was no need for me to leave Thailand simply to get more days for the application - I could apply for a 60 day extension at Suan Phlu, and then have time to apply for the Non-Imm 'O'.

3) Key point was get all necessary documents, and the 60 day extension would be pretty much a formality.

Based on that, we went to Suan Phlu yesterday. Documents we were asked for were;

a) TM 7 - Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom, 1 4x6cm photo white background.

:o Photocopy & Original of my passport - page with photo and particulars

c) Photocopy of my passport - page with entry stamp and departure card

d) Photocopy of Kor Ror 3 - Marriage Certificate

e) Photocopy of wife's ID

f) Photocopy of wife's Tabien Baan - House Registration.

My wife was with me, so we were not asked for the originals of (d) - (f). We had made sure that everything was complete and accurate, and neatly compiled.

First off, the lady who received our documents skimmed through them, and with a huge smile on her face, said that they were very well prepared. She was genuinely happy about that, and it pretty much set the tone for what followed. She checked the documents carefully, asked for and verified the details of my passport, then accepted payment of 1900 baht. I was given a number and a few minutes later, was called to collect my passport with the 60 day extension stamp. I did not bother timing the whole thing, but from the time we got the 1st queue number to the time I collected my passport could not have been more than 20 minutes tops. This was pretty impressive, given that we went there at lunchtime (12.30) and they were obviously on reduced staff.

Although this gave me some 50 days before I needed to apply for the Non-Imm 'O', I decided that it was just as well to complete things there and then.

My wife had called the 1111 hotline about the Non-Imm 'O' visa and we were told that we would have to fill in TM 86 - Application for change of Visa, TM 87 - Application for Visa, plus have bank documents to prove a local deposit of 400K Thai Baht for at least the last 3 months. When we queried this, saying that the new rule was 40K Thai Baht income average per month, we were told that for the 1st visa application, they wanted to see 400K. For extensions, the 40K income rule would apply. So to be safe, we prepared both.

In any event, at room 303, we were asked for;

1) Form TM 87 - Application for Visa, 1 4x6cm photo, white background

2) My Passport - Copy and Original

3) Photostat of page with 60 day extension stamp - proves you have at least 21 days left.

4) Wife's ID - Copy (Original surrendered to guard downstairs)

5) Tabien Baan - House Registration, copy and original

6) Kor Ror 2 - Marriage Registration Form, copy and original

7) Kor Ror 3 - Marriage Certificate, copy and original

8) The single status letter that I had to produce (very long story here, save it for a rainy day) in order to get married in Thailand - copy only, as the district office keeps the original when you register.

Do not bother signing the documents in advance. There is a rubber stamp that specifies who signs where, and after the officer checks and stamps each document, you and your spouse sign at the designated spots.

After the officer had checked all the documents, she conducted the interview. My impression was that it was mainly to ascertain that the marriage is bona fide and not a marriage of convenience. I was asked about my work, as was my wife, where we lived, when and where we first met etc etc. We were asked for, but did not have photographs of the marriage.

I offered documents to prove 400K in the bank, and 40K monthly income, but we were told this was not necessary for the initial visa application (just as Norrad experienced). These would be required for the extension (when the time comes), so I am assuming that it would be the 40K monthly income rather than the 400K deposit.

When the officer was satisfied that everything had been covered, I was asked to pay 2000 baht for the application, given a receipt and asked to come back week after next with the receipt and my passport, for the outcome of the application.

Again, the whole process was smooth and handled by the immigration staff in a very courteous and helpful manner. We could not ask for anything more really, and this pleasant experience at Suan Phlu made our day!

Plus, I do not have to leave the Kingdom just to get a new stamp in my passport.

Again, thanks Norrad!!!

Thanks for the detailed report. Just to clarify the last point. The 400k bank deposit is what you use to obtain the non immigrant visa/change of visa (2,000 baht fee). When you apply for the actual extension of stay (another 1,900 baht fee) you must use the 40k monthly income. Those already having a non immigrate visa should not need the 400k bank deposit.