Thai / English Ocr: Arn Thai

makescents

Anybody had any experiance with Thai OCR software, I've got a shed load of Thai documents that need scanning.

Unfortunatly it looks as though I'll be hand typing them out :o

Can you let me know what you find out about this? I have to do a Thai cookbook based on an existing collection of photocopies and I'd rather not have it all retyped.

One of the Thai OCR Software is: AmThai 2.0 but I'm not sure the software may works under Linux only!

For Windows you should take a look at the latest version of Abbyy Fine Reader at http://www.abbyy.com because far as I know is the only software available for Thao OCR running on Wondows OS!

May it helps.

One of the Thai OCR Software is: AmThai 2.0 but I'm not sure the software may works under Linux only!

For Windows you should take a look at the latest version of Abbyy Fine Reader at http://www.abbyy.com because far as I know is the only software available for Thao OCR running on Wondows OS!

May it helps.

Thanks for that Reimar, looks good. I'm also looking for english OCR software that allows you to specify what fonts were used in order to increase accuracy, does such software exist? Many times the ocr misreads the text because the font characters look similar to other characters. if the software could be told what font was used, it seems it would greatly increase accuracy.

• 2 months later...

I have been trying ABBYY fine reader to do OCR on Thai script - to no avail. I have version 8 and have tried the trial of version 9.

Looking at the ABBYY website it says engine v 8.1 will read Thai, but when I try to get further information the page says a salesman will contact me.

Does any version of ABBYY actually do OCR on Thai script?

I have been trying ABBYY fine reader to do OCR on Thai script - to no avail. I have version 8 and have tried the trial of version 9.

Looking at the ABBYY website it says engine v 8.1 will read Thai, but when I try to get further information the page says a salesman will contact me.

Does any version of ABBYY actually do OCR on Thai script?

Abbyy do the OCR for Thai but may that isn't enabled in Trial Versions?!

But I got some more links which you can check and hopfully some will works for you:

http://www.thai-software.com/MultiLangDict...al/Desc-OCR.htm

http://gallery.opentle.org/v/linux-tle/liv...cd_014.jpg.html

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all...arnumber=608717

Cheers.

Thanks for the links but two are for research papers on OCR.

The other is ArnThai that does seem possible, but it only works under Linux and seems to only be a Debrian version. Not the version I use.

I'll try to get back to Abbyy about their version not working.

Some time ago there was some members which was looking for Thai/English OCR Software.

For those of you who's looking for Thai/English OCR Software, Arn Thai is now available at IT-City, the Computer Superstore which has a lot Outlets around Thailand, for just a little as THB 180.00 for the Original Software. No need to "buy" a copy for that!

Cheers.

Some time ago there was some members which was looking for Thai/English OCR Software.

For those of you who's looking for Thai/English OCR Software, Arn Thai is now available at IT-City, the Computer Superstore which has a lot Outlets around Thailand, for just a little as THB 180.00 for the Original Software. No need to "buy" a copy for that!

Cheers.

Will this take a printed Thai page and translate it into English... Or Vice Versa??

That's what I really need.

CS

Cheers.

Will this take a printed Thai page and translate it into English... Or Vice Versa??

That's what I really need.

CS

I suggest you invest the huge amount of THB 180 and the cost for to go to IT-City and back and you have the choice of endless testting all possibilities that software will allow you to do!

Don't think that for example I would buy a software I don't need just for to check out, which means I've to invest time and Money for to do some work just for to let others profit from it.

Don't take that speech personal but I would tell the same to my best friend.

Cheers.

I know that I'm very imperfect and sometimes even a bit more. But worked with computer some years I may know a bit about it.

Ther a lot Nic names or Short names like PSU, CPU and so on, it's quite a huge list.

One of this Short or Nic names is OCR and as far as I mean to know it stands for Optical Character Recognition.

I never ever seen or even had just only read form an OCR software which translate from one Language to an other!

It has need a bit time for me to realize what the question was but I hope now the facts should be clear.

Cheers.

Thanks, I have been looking for the program ............

I have had a reply from ABBYY who talk about a Thai version of OCR, their engine v8.1 - it is only available to systems developers and might be in their next version (version 10)

I have ArnThai 2.5 for Windows. It's no longer commercially available as far as I know, but if you Google around you might find a link to download it on a Thai message board, it's only a few megabytes.

The quality isn't fantastic, but if used in conjunction with a version of MS Word that can spellcheck Thai, for example, it could be a good place to start.

As for ABBYY, they've added functionality into the SDK (software developer's kit), which I think means third party programmers can use that to make software that would read Thai, but that none of their commercially available software actually reads it yet. ABBYY is very good for English (OmniPage being the other big one), so I'm hopeful about that.

In the meantime, I'll be happy to scan some sample pages for someone using ArnThai to see what kind of quality output you can get.

So it turns out you can still find it.

Still, if anyone wants to see what the results would be like before taking the time to go out and find it, they can email me a sample page or few and I'll scan it for them.

Edited by Rikker

Rikker -

I haven't managed to get to IT city yet but did lay my hands on a version of Arn Thai, version 2.51 (lite)

It does OCR on a scanned page but refuses to open a .jpg file - the whole program goes to sleep and then gives an access violation error when you try to do anything else.

Have you got the same version and does it open a .jpg file to do OCR?

The scanned page result was good on typed stuff - 3 errors on a page but as one was the ' tone marker over ป I think it should be ignored!

edited for typing error

Edited by briley