Configuring The Brm-04 With True Adsl

outbackwifi

People,

I am at my wits end here. I am staying with a friend in bangkok and he's got an adsl connexion from True (256k). I needed to get my laptop up on wifi (I carry my ap around). He's been given a Zyxel Prestige 630 usb modem from True and it works fine on his desktop.

Now we went out and bought a BRM-04 adsl modem+router and I cant seem to get it to work.

After configuring everything, the device connects and i get an ip from True but after that I am not able to reach (ping ) their DNS servers. I get a "Request timed out" error.

My questions are:

a)"Has anyone even heard of the BRM-06?"

:o"Do I have to enable NAT?" If yes then what should the config be? all lan ports natted to the wan port?

c) Please help me out (I might lose serious face here!!!!!!)

Thanks a lot in advance

Frankie,

I dunno how to say this but whats an "SUA" mode?

In case this is helpful, here's the output of the syslog

1/1/1970 0:0:0> Ethernet Device 0 Detected

1/1/1970 0:0:0> ATM: Detected

1/1/1970 0:0:0> ATM: Setting up vcc0, VPI=0, VCI=100

1/1/1970 0:0:0> CfgMgr: 'Shtm.dlz' module loaded.

1/1/1970 0:0:0> CfgMgr: 'Washer.dlz' module loaded.

1/1/1970 0:0:0> Washer - washer_reg called!

1/1/1970 0:0:11> ATM Connected

1/1/1970 0:0:11> ATM layer is up, cell delineation achieved

1/1/1970 0:0:11> ADSL connected

1/1/1970 0:0:11> PPP1 PPPoE Session is established.

1/1/1970 0:0:15> PPP CHAP Authentication success

1/1/1970 0:0:15> PPP1: PPP IP address is 61.90.32.64

1/1/1970 0:0:15> PPP1: PPP Gateway IP address is 61.90.32.1

1/1/1970 0:0:15> PPP1: DNS Primary IP address is 203.144.225.244

1/1/1970 0:0:15> PPP1: DNS Secondary IP address is 203.144.255.72

1/1/1970 0:0:15> PPP1 Session is up.

yes you will need NAT enabled if your planning on having more than one computer connected to the internet @ any one time, if you put it in SUA mode no other configuration should be needed for websurfing :o

It's always good to enable NAT regardless, gives an extra level of protection from outside interference.

outback, I am definitely not a techie, but after reading an article in the newspaper, I put my free Zyxel modem in my desk drawer and bought an SMC Barricade router/modem at Pantip and connected it with no problems to my True ADSL line...just followed the directions in the box....now I connect to my desktop with a wi-fi connection and to my laptop with built-in wi-fi. also if friends stay over, they connect with a wi-fi enabled laptop. :o Sorry dont know what a BRM is....

yes you will need NAT enabled if your planning on having more than one computer connected to the internet @ any one time, if you put it in SUA mode no other configuration should be needed for websurfing  :o

It's always good to enable NAT regardless, gives an extra level of protection from outside interference.

aye, it can/will cause problems for the PNP massive though with regards to connections to incoming ports..

the Vci/Vpi looks right..

not sure how that 203.144.225.244 DNS address has got in there.. Someone posted here that the true DNS servers were:

they have worked ok for me :D

Hello Outbackwifi,

Just sell the modem/router for a nice price to me and you not lose face.

On the other hand what is the (Ethernet) IP address of your Modem/router? What IP addresses are the computers using in the network? And can you give me your Windows lan settings?

If you can give me this information I have you online in 10 minutes...or less...

By the way your ADSL link is up and running, so the problem is not with True.

With kind regards,

Richard

[email protected]

Hello Outbackwifi,

Just sell the modem/router for a nice price to me and you not lose face.

On the other hand what is the (Ethernet) IP address of your Modem/router? What IP addresses are the computers using in the network? And can you give me your Windows lan settings?

If you can give me this information I have you online in 10 minutes...or less...

By the way your ADSL link is up and running, so the problem is not with True.

With kind regards,

Richard

[email protected]

if hes managing to use the routers html config theres no prob with local subnet access right dick? :o

Hello Outbackwifi,

Install your PCI BRM-04 ADSL Modem/router to the network.

Open Internet Explorer or other browser, and type the default IP address of the router. (For the Planex BRM-04 is this http://10.0.0.2 default)

Login: Admin Password: epicrouter (default password)

You have your ADSL up-link already running, we can skip that part.

Go to LAN settings, and change the Modem/Router default IP address to IP 192.168.0.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0

(After this you can login to the router HTTP config screen with IP address 192.168.01)

Login: Admin Password: epicrouter (default password) are still the same

Save this settings en click on reboot, depending on which firmware you have you get a warning message or not. (Click Submit / OK)

Open your Windows LAN connection, and change the IP address to 192.168.0.9 subnet 255.255.255.0 for gateway you select 192.168.0.1

DNS 1) 203.144.225.244, DNS 2) 203.144.225.72

(Not use DNS server 203.144.225.71 this DNS server is used for some ClickTA and AsiaNet 56K modem dialup connections.)

For other computers in the network, only change the IP addresses 192.168.0.XXX and everything else stays the same.

With these settings your network computers are able to connect to the Internet.

Hello MadFrankie,

It is always possible to connect to the HTTP configuration screens in the router, just type http://10.0.0.2 in the browser and you get it.

This doesn’t guarantee that the router/network is working correctly.

I think you should start doing yer homework, if the guys clients IP is staticly assigned/DHCPed to a different subnet he would NOT be able to access the html config :o

Hello MadFrankie,

As I write before after this Outbackwifi can login to the router HTTP config screen with IP address 192.168.01, (http://192.168.0.1) Login: Admin and Password: epicrouter (default password) are still the same

Of course Outbackwifi can also call the Thai distributor of Planex Communications where he probably will hear the same story.

Optimus (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

49/6 Soi Boonchusri, Dindaeng Rd.,

Phayathai, Bangkok 10400 Thailand

Tel: (66)-2644-8216, Fax: (66)-2245-5362

http://www.optimus.co.th/planex/en/index.php

With kind regards,

Richard

Hello MadFrankie,

As I write before after this Outbackwifi can login to the router HTTP config screen with IP address 192.168.01, (http://192.168.0.1) Login: Admin and Password: epicrouter (default password) are still the same

Of course Outbackwifi can also call the Thai distributor of Planex Communications where he probably will hear the same story.

Optimus (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

49/6 Soi Boonchusri, Dindaeng Rd.,

Phayathai, Bangkok 10400 Thailand

Tel: (66)-2644-8216, Fax: (66)-2245-5362

http://www.optimus.co.th/planex/en/index.php

With kind regards,

Richard

very good, I think you missed the point :o

Hello MadFrankie,

Okay, I’m sorry that I miss the point; I was thinking that the point was that the BRM-04 router isn’t working and at my side it is working. Therefore I did share my settings; maybe there is a better way….

I’m always open to hear or see somebody else’s his settings, what are your settings for the Planex router?

:o With sharing information we can all learn something

With kind regards,

Richard

hi people,

Thanks for all that help. I have finally managed to get the BRM-04 connected and running. It even does the "automatic reconnect" on WAN request from within the LAN.

Now I have connected a Linksys Wifi Access Point as well as a Vonage VOIP box to the LAN side.

In addition to all this, I have set up a wifi bridge from this guy's place to an apartment (500m line of sight) close-by with an access point inside the apartment so that the apartment guy can also browse.

I have also enabled encryption on the bridge to prevent air-snorting and also changed the default passwords on all the APs so you network stumblers cant get in.

So, if any of you ppl are lookin for wifi access in your neighborhood, keep me posted. If the building that you happen to be staying is in the Arie station area, we can be up & running,

Ok now for the next problem.

Is True blocking UDP ports? My vonage voip box isnt working too well. At times, I can receive voice clearly but at times it keeps getting cut off. I ran a dslreports port scan on my router and it showed that all the udp ports were blocked. Is there a via media?

The vonage box which is basically a Motorola vt1000 can't do tcp (unlike most taiwanese voip boxes which let you change from tcp to udp & vice versa). SO anybody got any ideas??

thanks for saving my face

ps (ive also changed the router password from epicrouter)

hi people,

Thanks for all that help. I have finally managed to get the BRM-04 connected and running. It even does the "automatic reconnect" on WAN request from within the LAN.

Now I have connected a Linksys Wifi Access Point as well as a Vonage VOIP box to the LAN side.

In addition to all this, I have set up a wifi bridge from this guy's place to an apartment (500m line of sight) close-by with an access point inside the apartment so that the apartment guy can also browse.

I have also enabled encryption on the bridge to prevent air-snorting and also changed the default passwords on all the APs so you network stumblers cant get in.

So, if any of you ppl are lookin for wifi access in your neighborhood, keep me posted. If the building that you happen to be staying is in the Arie station area, we can be up & running,

Ok now for the next problem.

Is True blocking UDP ports? My vonage voip box isnt working too well. At times, I can receive voice clearly but at times it keeps getting cut off. I ran a dslreports port scan on my router and it showed that all the udp ports were blocked. Is there a via media?

The vonage box which is basically a Motorola vt1000 can't do tcp (unlike most taiwanese voip boxes which let you change from tcp to udp & vice versa). SO anybody got any ideas??

thanks for saving my face

ps (ive also changed the router password from epicrouter)

ya seem to have got the jist of things, the blocked UDP ports are probably either software firewall on yer comp wether it be the XP one or a 3rd party one or a prob with the router not forwarding unrequested incomming packets with can be solved by forwarding the ports. If you do have a 3rd partie firewall it could be a combination of the two as you will need to set up triggering with a lot of them aswell :o

Last weekend I changed from a USB modem to an ADSL router and I think my ports may be blocked also

Surfing is fine but P2P is now very very slow

Can anybody tell me how I forward the ports?

I set up the router (Billion 4 port ADSL router/switch) myself but did not see a "port forwarding" option - does it have a different name or something

• 3 weeks later...
DNS 1) 203.144.225.244, DNS 2) 203.144.225.72

(Not use DNS server 203.144.225.71 this DNS server is used for some ClickTA and AsiaNet 56K modem dialup connections.)

i just bought the same brm-04 router and have it up and running, i left the dns blank and it is assigning these dns servers:

10/12/2004 1:41:41> PPP1: DNS Primary IP address is 61.90.254.4

10/12/2004 1:41:41> PPP1: DNS Secondary IP address is 203.144.255.244

unless someone has some better IPs to manually put i will let it assign it automatically.

the line was just put in today...a problem is when i pickup the phone i am getting a dial tone but losing the dsl link. am i missing a filter from true and that is causing this?

the line was just put in today...a problem is when i pickup the phone i am getting a dial tone but losing the dsl link. am i missing a filter from true and that is causing this?

Yes - that's the same symptoms I get when the maid disconnects the phone, then reconnects it to the modem socket, rather than the phone socket...

You'll also notice some nasty background noise on the phone.

(True supposedly sell filters, but never had any when I asked - so I ended up getting mine at Pantip).

Hello Huski,

If you want to use a telephone together with your ADSL connection you need an ADSL splitter or ADSL filter.

Also your primary DNS IP address looks like a not valid address, normally the 61.X.X.X IP range is assigned to ADSL users. This is confirmed if I check the DNS address. It looks like a normal (ADSL) user (ppp-61.90.254.4.revip.asianet.co.th) and not a DNS server.

Is it maybe possible that you confuse the DNS server address with your own IP address?

With kind regards,

Richard

Hello Huski,

If you want to use a telephone together with your ADSL connection you need an ADSL splitter or ADSL filter.

Also your primary DNS IP address looks like a not valid address, normally the 61.X.X.X IP range is assigned to ADSL users. This is confirmed if I check the DNS address. It looks like a normal (ADSL) user (ppp-61.90.254.4.revip.asianet.co.th) and not a DNS server.

Is it maybe possible that you confuse the DNS server address with your own IP address?

With kind regards,

Richard

bkk mike and richard bkk, thanks i figured a filter would be needed. the splitter that came with the router has no effect so will pick up a filter from pantip and that should solve the problem.

i pasted direct from the connection log, so those two name servers are what i'm being assigned when connected. here is from my log, my dynamic ip and gateway are also from the same range:

10/12/2004 4:41:10> ATM Connected

10/12/2004 4:41:10> ATM layer is up, cell delineation achieved

10/12/2004 4:41:10> ADSL connected

10/12/2004 4:41:17> PPP1 PPPoE Session is established.

10/12/2004 4:41:20> PPP CHAP Authentication success

10/12/2004 4:41:20> PPP1: PPP IP address is 61.90.27.131

10/12/2004 4:41:20> PPP1: PPP Gateway IP address is 61.90.27.1

10/12/2004 4:41:20> PPP1: DNS Primary IP address is 61.90.254.4

10/12/2004 4:41:20> PPP1: DNS Secondary IP address is 203.144.255.244

10/12/2004 4:41:20> NAT/NAPT Session Start: interface ppp1, WAN IP is 61.90.27.131

10/12/2004 4:41:20> No Static Session Information is defined.

10/12/2004 4:41:21> PPP1 Session is up.

Hello Huski,

About your primary DNS server if it works it works no need to change anything.

About the splitters there are some shops at Panthip who are selling “empty” splitters, this are splitters with not more electronics then just 3 connections. Of course this will not work, but it keeps the sales price down.

From experience I learned that Fortune IT Mall at Ratchada Rd is much more relaxed to look for more “higher” technical equipment and prices are anyway the same.

With kind regards,

Richard

... as well as a Vonage VOIP box to the LAN side.

The vonage box which is basically a Motorola vt1000 can't do tcp (unlike most taiwanese voip boxes which let you  change from tcp to udp & vice versa). SO anybody got any ideas??

Suggest you take a look at http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-NAT%2Band%2BVOIP

Basically VOIP devices have issues with NAT routers, such that you will probably have to assign the vonage box as the default IP address for incoming connections to go to for all ports. (i.e. you hardcode the IP address of the Vonage box as being the "DMZ" computer on your router - so all incoming packets that the router doesn't know what to do with, goes to the vonage box).

This shouldn't be a problem so long as you're not running a web server, or running other software to remotely connect to your network. The link above tries to explain what the problem is and might help if the DMZ route doesn't work...