Embarrassed Call For Help

Jandajoy

I live full time out in the boonies 4 km from the nearest landline a 6 km from AIA, Dtac and True (in the village) and I use a Nokia 3110c with AIS GPRS/EDGE depending on what site I can get on.

I connect to my laptop using the laptop Bluetooth connection or by usb cable to the Nokia suite.

It costs me 500 baht a month for 250 hours of internet service but it is measured in minutes and not in Mb downloading. On a 30 day month that works out around 8 hours a day and to be honest if I am on for 5 hours a day that is a lot. I can get my emails, Thaivisa, downloads, read the papers etc and if I go anywhere else in country where there is an AIS site I just switch on and away it goes. Easy peasy.

:D:o:D

Hi Bill, how does your speed compare to standard dialup?

I live 30km north of Korat and use AIS GPRS/Edge for connection to the internet. My speed varies throughout the day and can be different from day to day. Before noon I can usually download files at speeds between 12-17 kB. As the the day progresses the speed drops and the connection can be so slow at times I don't bother going on the net.

In the last couple months I have noticed better performance in the afternoon and evening. I would also like to say slow speeds seem to be when connecting to sites outside Thailand while Thai sites are normal.

I live full time out in the boonies 4 km from the nearest landline a 6 km from AIA, Dtac and True (in the village) and I use a Nokia 3110c with AIS GPRS/EDGE depending on what site I can get on.

I connect to my laptop using the laptop Bluetooth connection or by usb cable to the Nokia suite.

It costs me 500 baht a month for 250 hours of internet service but it is measured in minutes and not in Mb downloading. On a 30 day month that works out around 8 hours a day and to be honest if I am on for 5 hours a day that is a lot. I can get my emails, Thaivisa, downloads, read the papers etc and if I go anywhere else in country where there is an AIS site I just switch on and away it goes. Easy peasy.

:D:o:D

I live 30km north of Korat and use AIS GPRS/Edge for connection to the internet. My speed varies throughout the day and can be different from day to day. Before noon I can usually download files at speeds between 12-17 kB. As the the day progresses the speed drops and the connection can be so slow at times I don't bother going on the net.

In the last couple months I have noticed better performance in the afternoon and evening. I would also like to say slow speeds seem to be when connecting to sites outside Thailand while Thai sites are normal.

Hi ballbreaker, can you order the service at any AIS shop .. or is it a different provider .. or 2 providers (Edge & ISP)?

Hi ballbreaker, can you order the service at any AIS shop .. or is it a different provider .. or 2 providers (Edge & ISP)?

Any AIS simcard allows you to use gprs out of the box. You will get charged 1 Baht/minute AIS is the ISP, so only one charge.

Both on pre-paid (one2call) and post paid you can opt to chose for a monthly package. Many are available to suit your needs. This can be done by calling 1175 and talk with their English speaking staff.

For example on one2call you can chose 100 hours/month for 250 Baht. You just need to make sure sufficient credit is on your phone everytime the package needs to get renewed...

Any AIS simcard allows you to use gprs out of the box. You will get charged 1 Baht/minute AIS is the ISP, so only one charge.

Both on pre-paid (one2call) and post paid you can opt to chose for a monthly package. Many are available to suit your needs. This can be done by calling 1175 and talk with their English speaking staff.

For example on one2call you can chose 100 hours/month for 250 Baht. You just need to make sure sufficient credit is on your phone everytime the package needs to get renewed...

You can also just dial *138 and select english language then select number for mobile net package when asked. It will then give you the list of options for GPRS/EDGE service. Never have to talk with live person.

And as monty says make sure your prepaid has enough credits each month. I usually get message a few days before month is up saying they will be deducting credits on such a date for mobile net package.

You can also check your remaining minutes for package by dialing *139

So if I use one2call I only pay the Bt 250 (or whatever the package is), not the AIS B1/min (Bt 6,000 for 100 hours .. wow!), correct? What are AIS fees for the one2call package? I have a monthly post-pay deal on my AIS. Will I need to get a new SIM to get the Edge?

Sorry, I'm a slow learner sometimes.

So if I use one2call I only pay the Bt 250 (or whatever the package is), not the AIS B1/min (Bt 6,000 for 100 hours .. wow!), correct? What are AIS fees for the one2call package? I have a monthly post-pay deal on my AIS. Will I need to get a new SIM to get the Edge?

To use Edge you'll need a new Sim Card because it's Dtac and not AIS!

So if I use one2call I only pay the Bt 250 (or whatever the package is), not the AIS B1/min (Bt 6,000 for 100 hours .. wow!), correct?

Correct, only 250 Baht (actually 267.5 Baht, they stick 7% vat on it!)

What are AIS fees for the one2call package?

No fees, you'll only need to keep the simcard alive. 300 Baht keeps your card 30 days alive. 267 Baht goes to the internet hours, the remaining 30 something Baht you can use to call!. Put new 300 Baht inside and you're good again for 30 days.

So your actual real life cost would be 300 Baht/month with a few free calling minutes thrown in :o

I have a monthly post-pay deal on my AIS. Will I need to get a new SIM to get the Edge?

You can go to an AIS office (or Telewiz) with your phone (and simcard) and you can chose a package as well. You'll just get billed monthly. They have roughly the same packages available for post paid packages, just chose the amount of hours which fits you! So no need to get an extra simcard if you already have one! Edge will automatically be used whenever Edge is available, otherwise it'll just fall back to the slower GPRS system. Same price!

That is correct. If you sign up for a package it so many baht for set number of hours. I do think the 100 hours is 350 baht not 250.

Also you will need EDGE capable phone or modem or you must settle for the slower GPRS speeds.

Ballbreaker and Monty .. thanks so much for your patience .. I think I have it now. :o

Because my SIM card is years old, I will probably need a new one to get Edge. I'll primarily use this outside BKK, so is DTAC or AIS better for reception?

I have heard that DTAC used to be better for the boonies .. and I'll probably get the cheapest phone available that will take an Edge card .. Bluetooth not necessary.

Oops, I didn't read well enough

Edge will automatically be used whenever Edge is available, otherwise it'll just fall back to the slower GPRS system. Same price!

So I don't need a new SIM! w00t!

Edited by klikster

All you need is the mobile phone you already have. Here is a tutorial on how to set up an internet connection via your mobile phone, written for DTAC but the settings will be similar for most Thai carriers. The map is out of date by the way, DTAC have EDGE coverage throughout most of the country now. You can get 50 hours access a month for about 200 baht.

We didn't have that in the Northern Territory.

That's because the Northern Territory is one big black hole with a little bit of mobile network in it. Thailand is one big network with a few small black holes in it.

Both AIS and Dtac offer Edge...

I'm not 1 km on Air from Dtac Calling Center at Srinakarin Road! NO Edge availabe at my place!!

Tested 2 month ago with Dtac Card and the service for Edge was stopping after 500 m on the corner Srinakarin Rd. / Theparak Rd.!!

What is the Range?

Thanks.

I'm not 1 km on Air from Dtac Calling Center at Srinakarin Road! NO Edge availabe at my place!!

Tested 2 month ago with Dtac Card and the service for Edge was stopping after 500 m on the corner Srinakarin Rd. / Theparak Rd.!!

What is the Range?

Thanks.

Not sure about the range! It's just that not all transmitters have been upgraded to Edge.

Out here in Pattaya we have Edge pretty much everywhere, even out here at the resort. Both AIS and Dtac will show Edge!

It basically depends on where you are located, that's why I advise people to try with a simcard from both AIS and Dtac (just borrow from someone!) and see if the Edge indicator comes on.

I'm not sure, but in Bangkok there are several "micro transmitters", basically smaller transmitters to fill in a small area without reception, such as between two buildings or a parking garage. Maybe the smaller ones are not upgraded?

Your phone will automatically choose the transmitter with the best signal strength so you can't choose which one to connect to. Maybe when 500 meter away your phone switched to a different antenna without Edge...

Both AIS and Dtac offer Edge...

What is the Range?

Thanks.

It sounds like your phone switches to a different base transceiver site that has not been upgraded like monty says.

The range varies because of different factors. Transmitter size, type of antenna array and geographic limitation and local regulations which can affect the max range of a GSM system which is around 40km.

Since you seem to be into testing you could try pluging an external antenna into you phone, provided your phone has that capability, and see if that makes a difference. With a better antenna it might keep you locked to site that supports EDGE.

:bah::o:D

What is the Range?

Thanks.

Not sure about the range! It's just that not all transmitters have been upgraded to Edge.

Out here in Pattaya we have Edge pretty much everywhere, even out here at the resort. Both AIS and Dtac will show Edge!

It basically depends on where you are located, that's why I advise people to try with a simcard from both AIS and Dtac (just borrow from someone!) and see if the Edge indicator comes on.

I'm not sure, but in Bangkok there are several "micro transmitters", basically smaller transmitters to fill in a small area without reception, such as between two buildings or a parking garage. Maybe the smaller ones are not upgraded?

Your phone will automatically choose the transmitter with the best signal strength so you can't choose which one to connect to. Maybe when 500 meter away your phone switched to a different antenna without Edge...

My download speeds seem to be about the same as ballbreakers though the busy times are different because we have market days on Monday afternoon. Wednesday mornings and Saturday afternoons so more people are around in the village and less channels are available. Also GPRS/EDGE call take second place to voice calls so if you see waiting for www.xxx to load it may mean that all the channels are taken by voice calls BUT your data call is not disconnected, merely on hold.

My simcard is the same one I got when I came here in 2001 and the GPRS/EDGE service is done by the mobile and NOT the simcard.

The range of the data call is the same as that of a voice call and that will be set by the RF planners when they build the network and modified when there are expansions to the nework.

Not all sites are EDGE compatible as EDGE is a slightly newer system and requires different equipment on the site.

A lot of "microsites" are basically a small short rage site put in to fill in a gap in the system in a small area and while they radiate a fair distance the network is set up so that the microsites had off to a bigger site with more capacity as soon as possible.

It was/is my job since 1987 in UK and international since 1992. Though I am semiretired I still take a job offer now and again and if it is abrand new network such as the one we put into Papua New Guinea last year for Digicel and Ericsson I still get a thrill out of making calls where nobody could before.

:D :D :D