Embarrassed Call For Help

Jandajoy

:D

Hi all.

Ok, so I'm moving to very rural west Issan, 60km west of Chaiyapum. I/the boss have 4-6 mobile phones (which I've never really liked. The phones not her) and a lap top and a PC.

Question.... How do I combine these 2 elements, lap top and phone, not her, to get intenet access when we're in the boonies rebuilding the house?

What else do I need i.e sim card things, +or dingles, dongles or whatever they're called.

I'm not too bothered about speed and stuff, just want to access Hotmail and Thai Visa

Help, I'm thick.

Thanks, in anticipation

Geoff

:o

To first you'll need to checkout WHICH Internet service is available at the Place of your new house! Everything else will be nothing but speculation and real answer you can get after ythat checkout!

So, please post your question again after youve done your checkout.

But I would suggest also that you go at that place to some Shop which is selling computer products and/or tha telephon authority like TOT or who doing the line Service there to checkout the avaibility f Internet and Lines, or even the connection via Mobile!

Cheers.

I agree with Reimar. First go to TOT or TT&T shop to find out if ADSL is available. If you are lucky go for that option. You can get a 1meg connection for 590 Bht a month.

If ADSL is unavailable go along to your local AIS, DTAC or Hutch shops they can tell you what is available by way of mobile packages but be warned they are painfully slow out in the sticks.

Thanks to both of you.

There are no shops in the area but maybe I'll find something. I know they can use their mobile phones with max sugnal strength. I stupidly thought that if you could get a good phone connection it meant you could also get a goos / acceptable web connection :o

Thanks again

Geoff

Errrrr.... What's GPRS?

We didn't have that in the Northern Territory.

Sorry

pip pip

If you want to know everything about it, take some tranquilizers and read this. But simply said, you connect your mobile to your laptop, and the mobile will act as a modem. Works for me everywhere where there is AIS coverage, but it's sloooooooow.

Errrrr.... What's GPRS?

Sorry

pip pip

If you want to know everything about it, take some tranquilizers and read this. But simply said, you connect your mobile to your laptop, and the mobile will act as a modem. Works for me everywhere where there is AIS coverage, but it's sloooooooow.

10 minutes later....................

Wow. you're right about the tranqs.

Thanks again. It'll be an entertaining night

cheers

Dare I suggest IPStar?

If you have a fixed location, such as an apartment where you're staying while the house is built, this will probably be the best option. I don't think you realize exactly how slow GPRS is going to be out there. GPRS only works when there are channels available on the cell site. Those remote sites tend to be few and quite often full.

IPStar may not be the cheapest thing or the best, but it does work everywhere, and for circa 2500 baht/mo., I think a good investment in your particular situation.

Errrrr.... What's GPRS?

Sorry

pip pip

cheers

To make it easy, just check if you have a phone which can connect to the laptop. Normally, you will see the "found new hardware wizard". If your phone came with an installation CD, install the necessary software and you should be able to connect. If you have a Nokia phone, install their "PC Suite" program, for other mobile brands, check the manufacturer's website.

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

I must say I've heard some pretty bad things about IPStar. do you have to sign on for a particular length of time? I really just want some thing to cover the couple of months 'till we get into the house. Then I'll lok at something permanent.

Thanks for your help mate.

cheers

Errrrr.... What's GPRS?

Sorry

pip pip

cheers

To make it easy, just check if you have a phone which can connect to the laptop. Normally, you will see the "found new hardware wizard". If your phone came with an installation CD, install the necessary software and you should be able to connect. If you have a Nokia phone, install their "PC Suite" program, for other mobile brands, check the manufacturer's website.

Good. That's great, I've/She's got Nokia , Samsung and God knows what else. We'll try em tonight.... or maybe in the cool clear light of the morning. :o

Thanks

I was on GPRS via AIS for three years and everywhere I went in Thailand that AIS was providing service, I believe everywhere, I got my internet connected.

You will need a "wireless card". Mine is a Sierra Wireless AirCard 750 for which I payed 15k Baht some years ago from Fujitsu and would be willing to let it go for 5k.

I have heard they can be found cheaper but when I bought it from Fujitsu, I didn't question the price, just had them install it and take me to AIS office and get the sim card that fits into the wirless AirCard and make sure it all worked before I payed.

There are other brands of AirCards available at a lower price but doubt you can beat 5k.

Mine worked fine and anytime I had no service, I called the AIS center and they would crank up my local transmitter engineer to find out why no signal.

If there is AIS cellphone service in your remote area, chances are very good you will have their GPRS and away you go. Much slower that ADSL but a lot better than nothing.

PM me if you are interested in my AirCard or if you have any more questions.

I was on GPRS via AIS for three years and everywhere I went in Thailand that AIS was providing service, I believe everywhere, I got my internet connected.

You will need a "wireless card". Mine is a Sierra Wireless AirCard 750 for which I payed 15k Baht some years ago from Fujitsu and would be willing to let it go for 5k.

I have heard they can be found cheaper but when I bought it from Fujitsu, I didn't question the price, just had them install it and take me to AIS office and get the sim card that fits into the wirless AirCard and make sure it all worked before I payed.

There are other brands of AirCards available at a lower price but doubt you can beat 5k.

Mine worked fine and anytime I had no service, I called the AIS center and they would crank up my local transmitter engineer to find out why no signal.

If there is AIS cellphone service in your remote area, chances are very good you will have their GPRS and away you go. Much slower that ADSL but a lot better than nothing.

PM me if you are interested in my AirCard or if you have any more questions.

Many recent laptops already have a wireless card build in. In my case, I just connect a Nokia N series mobile to my cheap Asus PC through USB, that's it

This is great stuff. I'm beginning to understand. Thanks to you Marcus, I've sent you a message. I'll check out to see if my laptop's got a wireless card. It's got a switch on the front for wireless connections so you might have done yourself out of a deal. I owe you cold one anyway.

pip pip

A bit of additional info!

Both AIS and Dtac offer GPRS (which is internet access through the mobile phone network). GPRS also has an updated version which is called EDGE.

EDGE is about 3 times faster, but both the local base station in your area and your mobile phone (or aircard, which is a mobile phone without the phone :D ) have to be EDGE capable.

In the cities almost everything is EDGE, out in the boonies you most probably will get only the slower normal GPRS.

If you have a newer EDGE capable phone, but are in an area without EDGE coverage, it will automatically fall back to the slower speeds...

The best way would be to find out which of the phones (if any) is EDGE capable, stick a simcard in and see if you can have EDGE reception.

Most phones will have an indicator showing a "G" on the screen if the slow GPRS is available, and showing an "E" if EDGE is available.

Do this both with a simcard from AIS (one2call will do) and a simcard from Dtac (again, the prepaid Dprompt will do). It's very well possible that for example Dtac only has GPRS while AIS already upgraded to EDGE. No point in sticking with the slower version, even EDGE is not blistering fast (But mostly quite a bit faster then 56k dial up!)

FYI expect speeds of between 10 and 40 kbps on GPRS, and between 20 and 150 kbps on EDGE. Speeds do vary that much, but here in PAttaya, early mornings I can get reliably between 130 kbps and 180 kbps on AIS EDGE. Later during the day it slows to about 70 kbps, and sometimes completely grinds to a halt :o

Once you have found the best option, find out how to connect the phone to your laptop. The easiest (most foolproof if you wish :D ) way is by cable, but you'll need to find the proper one (and in the case of Nokia, an original one, the copy ones often don't work properly).

The easiest phone in my experience is Samsung, the one I used was recognized by WinXP as a modem, without needing any drivers. Once you're there you make a new dial-up connection using the phone as modem.

A built in WiFI connection will allow your computer to connect with a modem that transmits a signal to be picked up by a WiFi enabled computer.

In Marus's post, he says he connects to his Nokia Phone from his WiFi. But then what happens???

Does the phone dial up an ISP? Does the Nokia phone have an AIS dedicated GPRS capability? Can telephone calls be received and sent out while the Nokia phone is connected to GPRS or a dial up?

Would sure like to know more about how it works Marcus? If you choose to reply, please keep it basic for us modern gadget challenged guys. Thanks

A built in WiFI connection will allow your computer to connect with a modem that transmits a signal to be picked up by a WiFi enabled computer.

In Marus's post, he says he connects to his Nokia Phone from his WiFi. But then what happens???

Does the phone dial up an ISP? Does the Nokia phone have an AIS dedicated GPRS capability? Can telephone calls be received and sent out while the Nokia phone is connected to GPRS or a dial up?

Would sure like to know more about how it works Marcus? If you choose to reply, please keep it basic for us modern gadget challenged guys. Thanks

When I read my post again, I realize that I could have been more clear :o I didn't mean the computer's Wifi, but build in GPRS as Sony offers in some Vaio models as every gadget freak already knows.

The telephone is connected to the pc through USB - my wifi modem has indeed nothing to do with it. If the phone is able to connect to the internet (without a laptop at all), it should be able to do exactly what the aircard does - connect the pc to the internet.

Sorry, my English is too weak to say it more clear.

Edited by marcus

Marcus: Your English is fine and quite clear. Would appreciate you advising more about your cellphone capabilities. We have all hear that they have cellphones that can connect right to the internet and you can even download email messages to your cellphone.

Is your cellphone one of those devices. If so, does it work in Thailand? Are you able to use the same sim card for both internet transmissions and telephone calls and can you do them at the same time?

Your ISP must be providing a transmission service to your cellphone or your cellphone "dials up" an ISP? Mechanically, how does your cellphone work as to internet service and cellphone calls? Do you get separate bills for cellphone usage and internet service from your cellphone service and which company is it?

Many thanks for educating us country boys.

Marcus: Your English is fine and quite clear. Would appreciate you advising more about your cellphone capabilities. We have all hear that they have cellphones that can connect right to the internet and you can even download email messages to your cellphone.

Is your cellphone one of those devices. If so, does it work in Thailand? Are you able to use the same sim card for both internet transmissions and telephone calls and can you do them at the same time?

Your ISP must be providing a transmission service to your cellphone or your cellphone "dials up" an ISP? Mechanically, how does your cellphone work as to internet service and cellphone calls? Do you get separate bills for cellphone usage and internet service from your cellphone service and which company is it?

Many thanks for educating us country boys.

I use a simple Nokia N70 music edition, I believe now for sale for approx 9 K in Big C (was before around 15 K) To connect to the internet, just go to the phone's "web connection page", select "AIS GPRS" (if you have AIS of course ) and you're connected. No problem to receive emails on the phone, however I use it only in case of emergency as it is so slow.

To use it on a pc, just connect it with the special nokia cable, let the "found new hardware" wizard do his job, install Nokia PC suite, and you are ready to go.

I normally don't use it, unless I'm in remote places with nothing better. Works fine with my prepaid card, however I believe AIS has some subscription plan at thb 100/ month. Till now, I had no problem receiving phone calls being online.

Whoa up there big fella, we're heading for a fall............... :o

This is brilliant stuff from all of you but I'm beginning to feel guilty about taking up all your time. Then again I gues you're all old, big and ugly enough to sort yourselves out. THANKS

I think I'm clear on what's needed. I just wonder how many other gadget blind, technologically challenged, basically lazy people there are out there like me. Maybe this should be a seperate forum.

"Basic stuff for dummies"

You guys have so much info and experience to pass on. It's great.

This forum has been the best thing since the hogs ate my little sister.

I just hope that, in the course of time I can reciprocate.

Bleesings on you one and all

Geoff

[email protected]

I see you're there Marcus. I thought you might like to know that "YES", she's got 2 nokia phones a Samsung E250 and .......wait for it

an " Imobile" made by WellcoM, version W920"

apparently the last one can, cook food, clean dishes and give you a pretty good night out on the town. God knows how it works but it's bound to be good.

Thanks for your advice and help mate.

Where abouts are you, by the way? You deserve a beer.

cheers

Geoff

[email protected]

If you are talking about this phone, it should do the job, even without cable to your laptop as it supports bluetooth :D

However, I never heard about it and looks like some Chinese brand to me.

But the good news : the Samsung E250 supports GPRS, and also EDGE (see monthy's post), so I would use the Samsung (although I doubt that EDGE will work where you will live)

Good luck,

Marc

ps : you can deliver the beer in Samui :o

If you are talking about this phone, it should do the job, even without cable to your laptop as it supports bluetooth :D

However, I never heard about it and looks like some Chinese brand to me.

But the good news : the Samsung E250 supports GPRS, and also EDGE (see monthy's post), so I would use the Samsung (although I doubt that EDGE will work where you will live)

Good luck,

Marc

ps : you can deliver the beer in Samui :o

I'll work on that mate. My cousin's coming over for some diving so if we head that way I'll give you a call.

Cheers

Looks like the Samsung is your best bet!

You'd need a special cable, which I would advice on using, especially considering the fact that Samsung phones also charge from that cable. So no need to use the charger for those lengthy sessions!

You can also use bluetooth, but it can be hard to get going for the technology challenged, plus, using GPRS simultaneously with bluetooth drains your battery in no time!

I live full time out in the boonies 4 km from the nearest landline a 6 km from AIA, Dtac and True (in the village) and I use a Nokia 3110c with AIS GPRS/EDGE depending on what site I can get on.

I connect to my laptop using the laptop Bluetooth connection or by usb cable to the Nokia suite.

It costs me 500 baht a month for 250 hours of internet service but it is measured in minutes and not in Mb downloading. On a 30 day month that works out around 8 hours a day and to be honest if I am on for 5 hours a day that is a lot. I can get my emails, Thaivisa, downloads, read the papers etc and if I go anywhere else in country where there is an AIS site I just switch on and away it goes. Easy peasy.

:D:o:D

I live full time out in the boonies 4 km from the nearest landline a 6 km from AIA, Dtac and True (in the village) and I use a Nokia 3110c with AIS GPRS/EDGE depending on what site I can get on.

I connect to my laptop using the laptop Bluetooth connection or by usb cable to the Nokia suite.

It costs me 500 baht a month for 250 hours of internet service but it is measured in minutes and not in Mb downloading. On a 30 day month that works out around 8 hours a day and to be honest if I am on for 5 hours a day that is a lot. I can get my emails, Thaivisa, downloads, read the papers etc and if I go anywhere else in country where there is an AIS site I just switch on and away it goes. Easy peasy.

More good info. Thanks

Hi Bill, how does your speed compare to standard dialup?