Air Asia Excess Baggage

Rob5060

At the new airport, there is a 24-hour post office on the top floor - far back corner.

I usually come into Thailand with a good 40-50 kilos.

I always prepare by having one big heavy box as part of my luggage, and upon arrival, go straight to the post-office.

I mail the box to

'my name',

POSTE RESTANTE,

PRA-SINGH POST-OFFICE,

CHIANG MAI, 50205

I think that 20kg is about 250 bt.

I assume that you can mail it to any post-office, or any address, but I am not sure. I use Pra-Singh P.O. as it is convenient.

Takes about 3-4 working days - and don't forget to bring 3 bt for the release stamp!

If you are arriving without a box, the P.O. can supply a box and pack it for you - about 200bt for that.

It's great - within 15 minutes of clearing customs, all my big stuff is on it's way to CM - don't have to lug it anywhere...

air asia? never ever again . $50 luggage check in and then $7 aus per glass of crap wine! and you cant bring food on board so if you have any allergy or intolerance like me (gluten and lactose) its long hungry flight to Aus. Thai Air worked out the same price when you allow for ad ons

some very good suggestions for using the train instead for extra luggage. airasia has from the start imposed $$$ for extra luggage up and above the 15kg allowance. quite a bit of delays in the thai domestic side nowdays but its improving in the malaysian domestic side. never had a delay with my chiang mai - kl trips and its always been pleasant. always managed to get a bargain and paid for any extra luggage.

as far as their long haul is concerned, i would gladly carry on some packed sandwiches or something. outside food not allowed but i always had food carried on for the kids and sometimes for myself on their domestic and inter thai-malaysia flights. never had been told that i can't eat it. only australian flight available right now for long haul which is not one of my destinations for sometime but would welcome all the new routes they have in plan. especially the indian destinations :o airasia is a great airline and has done wonderful for themselves despite all the hardships that they had to go through to grow as the leading budget airline of asia.

I came back from overseas last year with excess baggage and unfortunately had booked AirAsia for my return trip back to CNX. In the past they have not been very lenient when going over their baggage allowance (15kg) so I should have known better. Anyway, they charged me 80baht/kg plus 7% VAT which reduced any savings I had on airfare to nil.

Their current fee schedule states 165baht/kg so plan on that or even better, do what wjmark suggested and post it. I'll probably do that next time.

Unless your flying solo and traveling light I would not suggest AirAsia. It's a cattle call with no reserved seating and as far as I know they still bus passengers to the plane even at the new airport. Our flight was delayed almost an hour and the employees just stood around shuffling paper. They never gave us a heads up on the delay. No big deal when traveling solo but with a family it's just not worth it.

Have a nice flight. :o

Charged once for overweight.......had a wheel chair, you see. A least 15 flights of my own and others that I since that day I have re-directed and they went to Nok and Thai. An airline is a service. If they choose to dictate policy rather than use common sense in place of service then what else is there to do but to move on to another "SERVICE"?

Anybody know what the charge is for excess baggage Bangkok to Chiang Mai with Air Asia

It's 80 baht/kg for domestic flights. The excess baggage charge keeps creeping upwards, too. Wasn't all that long ago that the charge was 50 baht/kg.

I've observed that AirAsia tends to be very strict about bag weight in Malaysia and are often willing to overlook a few kg in Thailand. See this thread for a check-in experience I had in Kuala Lumpur about one year ago (an experience that thus far, was a one-off).

At the new airport, there is a 24-hour post office on the top floor - far back corner.

I usually come into Thailand with a good 40-50 kilos.

I always prepare by having one big heavy box as part of my luggage, and upon arrival, go straight to the post-office.

I mail the box to

'my name',

POSTE RESTANTE,

PRA-SINGH POST-OFFICE,

CHIANG MAI, 50205

I think that 20kg is about 250 bt.

I assume that you can mail it to any post-office, or any address, but I am not sure. I use Pra-Singh P.O. as it is convenient.

Takes about 3-4 working days - and don't forget to bring 3 bt for the release stamp!

If you are arriving without a box, the P.O. can supply a box and pack it for you - about 200bt for that.

It's great - within 15 minutes of clearing customs, all my big stuff is on it's way to CM - don't have to lug it anywhere...

Excellent advice, thanks.

Last week I had to remove 2kg from my checked baggage as it weighed 17kg.

But no problem with the weight of my hand luggage - it appeared that there was no restriction.

In general, I always try and avoid Air Asia, and only use them when I cannot get another flight. They are always late, I think the staff have a bit of an attitude problem and having to pay for water (whilst suffering their delay) makes me angry.

Last week I had to remove 2kg from my checked baggage as it weighed 17kg.

But no problem with the weight of my hand luggage - it appeared that there was no restriction.

In general, I always try and avoid Air Asia, and only use them when I cannot get another flight. They are always late, I think the staff have a bit of an attitude problem and having to pay for water (whilst suffering their delay) makes me angry.

Just returned from a trip to Singapore, flew there and back with AirAsia. On time, brand new airbus, good aircon, big seats, cute hostesses, etc.etc. Funny, flying from BKK to CM I went with Thai, and the flight was delayed by 40 mins.

The weight restriction is easily overcome as I load up my carry on with all the heavy things. And as far as people complaining about AirAsia not having this, or charging for that, they are A LOW COST, NO THRILLS airline. You get what you pay for. They are half the price of Thai, so as far as savings goes, hard to beat. I have not flown Nok or One, two, go, but prefer to stick to AirAsia. And every time they are delayed, it is usually that a repair is needed on the aircraft, and I would rather be late and safe, than on time and dead. So ease up on the bashing of delayed flights, they do what they need to do.

Anybody know what the charge is for excess baggage Bangkok to Chiang Mai with Air Asia

Coming back soon loaded down

Cheers

Is there a difference in gas consumption for a plane carrying more weight in the baggage compartment than in the seats? Why is there no overweight charge from CNX to KL, but a significant charge for the same load going from KL to CNX? Does it cost more to fly north than south?

Perhaps it's time to begin weighing passengers along with their baggage. My wife weighs less than 40k but gets charged an overweight charge if her suitcase is a few kilo over the 15k level. On the same flight there are many VERY LARGE (being politically correct here,) passengers who must weigh well over 120k but don't get charged anything extra. Maybe it would pay to wear all our shirts and pants on board, and fly with empty suitcases..... put extra shoes into our pockets, etc.

As for the exact price of the excess baggage, that seems to vary from airport to airport. Of course.... :o

The weight restriction is easily overcome as I load up my carry on with all the heavy things. And as far as people complaining about AirAsia not having this, or charging for that, they are A LOW COST, NO THRILLS airline. You get what you pay for. They are half the price of Thai, so as far as savings goes, hard to beat. I have not flown Nok or One, two, go, but prefer to stick to AirAsia. And every time they are delayed, it is usually that a repair is needed on the aircraft, and I would rather be late and safe, than on time and dead. So ease up on the bashing of delayed flights, they do what they need to do.

I do not see the logic in having a weight restriction in checked baggage when you can just carry the extra in hand luggage. It is the same plane burning the same fuel.

I booked two flights in the last 2 weeks (on-line and at short notice) for BKK - CNX. I paid THB 2,350 on Thai, and THB 2,268 on Air Asia - hardly "low cost". With many "low cost" air fares, by the time all the charges, taxes and fuel surcharges have been added on, the prices are suddenly not so cheap.

If every time an Air Asia flight is delayed (and I think most people agree this is often) it is "usually a repair is needed on the aircraft" then that, to me, says something about the standard of their routine maintenance.

Thanks for pointing out that Air Asia are a "budget" airline, and I would never expect business class service on such. But I do believe that access to potable water is, in my view, a pretty basic need and a human right.

Some how my luggage became overweight by a divine miracle. It was fine going from Bangkok to Phuket, but packing the exact same stuff became overweight coming back.

Add to that their perpetual lateness I will never use them again :o

Exactly what happened to my buddy i was travelling with, he had to pay for 10 kilos over on the way back, on the way down nothing ! i told him to pay up and say nothing as they might charge him for flight down too, funniest thing was he was jumping up and down telling them there scales must be wrong :D

Just get on Thai Airways. Now they have low fares just like Nok Air / Air Asia.

And they usually give you exceptions on luggages. It's talkable especially if you hold their frequent flyer account.

Agreed. I have not always been a fan of Thai Airways, but in recent times they have been very helpful to me over a VERY late check-in and on another occasion a very heavy bag.

Glad to see the budget carriers bringing competition, but you need to study the deal carefully.

Once I booked the g/f on a One 2 Go flight - I have never heard the end of it! :o

And they usually give you exceptions on luggages. It's talkable especially if you hold their frequent flyer account.

Agreed! This is sounding like a cheap charley thread......

There are only two ways to fly in, or out of CNX, Thai Business class to BKK or Slik Air Business Class to SIN. Compared with European/US costs its ridiculously cheap, why would you even bother with cattle class, let alone a "cheap" i.e no service airline?

Couple of weeks back Thai checked me in on a flight to CNX 10 mins before departure at Suvanahbhumi! That wouldn't happen most places.

Thai Air worked out the same price when you allow for ad ons

When we flew in last summer with the family we also discovered that with the excess fees, Thai Air would have been the better option. Air Asia service was good, no different than Thai Air on the mini flight up to Chiang Mai, but who needs the hassle of being sent over to wait in yet another another line to pay the over-weight fees.

Air Asia is a cattle car, sure. Their business model replicates the huge success of Southwest Airlines in the States, which is one of the most successful airlines in the world. They still are making money, while others fail, or just stay flat through mergers and acquisitions.

Ryan Air is another (European) example of this model.

The key as a consumer with this kind of airline is that you have to be willing to make advance bookings, participate many times in an auction-like process for the deals, and have flexibility in your travel dates. And be more than a little internet-savvy regarding the above items. These airlines are for the discretionary traveler, period. And for the masses. Not for Mr. Last Minute Businessman.

Friends of mine often get deals to Kota Kinabalu, Kuching, Sumatra, etc. for literally the tax (i.e. approx. 799 THB one leg).

I've flown them to Bangkok and Penang a few times. Planes were in excellent condition, I was not delayed, and they seemed to run a fast, clean and efficient operation. You have to know the "system" re: boarding to get a good seat- so if elderly, carrying a lot of luggage, traveling with kids, arriving on a tight connection, etc. this might not be the airline for you.

You can pay a small surcharge now to get front line status (preferential seating). And yes, you have to pay for even water.

But they must be doing something right- did you see their huge order for many billions of dollars of new Airbuses?

I don't think Thai Air is doing quite as well right now....

i am a cheap charlie and their daily flight from cnx to kuala lumpur is the best thing that i could ever hope for. paying less than 50% than THAI and no need to stopover at bangkok. wonderful. like mcgriffith says,they must be doing lots of things right. only wished they still did the bkk-langkawi route

Agreed! This is sounding like a cheap charley thread......

There are only two ways to fly in, or out of CNX, Thai Business class to BKK or Slik Air Business Class to SIN. Compared with European/US costs its ridiculously cheap, why would you even bother with cattle class, let alone a "cheap" i.e no service airline?

Couple of weeks back Thai checked me in on a flight to CNX 10 mins before departure at Suvanahbhumi! That wouldn't happen most places.

There was once I was checking in 3 minutes before departure time at Suvarnabhumi. And they all wanted me to get on that flight (though I insisted to wait for the next one), they have me on a Golf card (reserved for International First Class) and drop me right in front of the gate. All of this is free!

Haha. That was fun.

I do not see the logic in having a weight restriction in checked baggage when you can just carry the extra in hand luggage. It is the same plane burning the same fuel.

I booked two flights in the last 2 weeks (on-line and at short notice) for BKK - CNX. I paid THB 2,350 on Thai, and THB 2,268 on Air Asia - hardly "low cost". With many "low cost" air fares, by the time all the charges, taxes and fuel surcharges have been added on, the prices are suddenly not so cheap.

If every time an Air Asia flight is delayed (and I think most people agree this is often) it is "usually a repair is needed on the aircraft" then that, to me, says something about the standard of their routine maintenance.

Thanks for pointing out that Air Asia are a "budget" airline, and I would never expect business class service on such. But I do believe that access to potable water is, in my view, a pretty basic need and a human right.

Like some mentioned, you are not going to get much of a deal with them if you book last minute. Most people that fly with them know this. And even though I am a young strong oak, I can still not carry as much as I could put into a checked bag, and I think they know this, so yeah, the weight restriction does work.

Yes, if every time a repair is needed on an aircraft, and they choose to delay the flight instead of flying with it, it tells me that they take safety very seriously. For you to make such a broad assumption about the standard of their routine maintenance without having first hand knowledge is well, silly? I heard that Thai airways just blew a tire out while landing in Cambodia, my gawd! They must never do any maintenance on their planes! So am I going to stop flying Thai? No. Planes break down, planes need up keep, thats a fact.

And dude, its a bottle of water, not going to break the bank now is it? Human right? I would LOVE to see that argument live on a flight. You protesting against one of the sweet hostesses that you are not going to pay for the water as its your "human right" to have it. Would provide GREAT entertainment, but I would imagine that in the end, some stranger would just buy the bottle of water so that the loud complaining farung would shut their pie hole, as this type of attitude grows old very quickly here.

Yes, if every time a repair is needed on an aircraft, and they choose to delay the flight instead of flying with it, it tells me that they take safety very seriously. For you to make such a broad assumption about the standard of their routine maintenance without having first hand knowledge is well, silly? I heard that Thai airways just blew a tire out while landing in Cambodia, my gawd! They must never do any maintenance on their planes! So am I going to stop flying Thai? No. Planes break down, planes need up keep, thats a fact.

And if every time a repair is needed on an aircraft, and they choose to cancel the flight instead of flying with it, it tells me that they take profit very seriously :o . The budget airline translation for "cancelled for technical reasons" is "we haven't got enough passengers to make money out of this flight so we'll save the fuel and put them on the next one (or the bus, or whatever....). Cynical, but often true.

Watched Thai changing a wheel during a 45 minute turnaround at DMK yesterday, flight still arrived early in CNX. Thai at least has the infrastructure to make routine repairs happen without delays!

And if every time a repair is needed on an aircraft, and they choose to cancel the flight instead of flying with it, it tells me that they take profit very seriously :o . The budget airline translation for "cancelled for technical reasons" is "we haven't got enough passengers to make money out of this flight so we'll save the fuel and put them on the next one (or the bus, or whatever....). Cynical, but often true.

Watched Thai changing a wheel during a 45 minute turnaround at DMK yesterday, flight still arrived early in CNX. Thai at least has the infrastructure to make routine repairs happen without delays!

Total speculation that they cancel flights because of not enough passengers. AirAsia is not the number one fastest growing airline because of a lack of flyers. I know FIRST HAND that their flights are almost always full, rarely falling below the 75% occupancy rate. Unlike Thai, where I have had many a flights with 4 seats at the back all to myself. To me it would make more sense for Thai to cancel a flight due to not enough passengers as they are the ones with the huge operating costs, NOT AirAsia.

Did you time them changing the wheel? How do you know that they were exceptionally speedy at it? Do you know how long it is meant to take to change a wheel? Just because you you landed early does not mean that Thai has better/faster airplane mechanics working on their planes. Maybe the head winds were with you on your flight to CM? That is usually the reason of arriving early.

And speed does NOT equal better, and I would feel better if I knew the the mechanics were not rushing to get the plane fixed, if you know what I mean.

For me, AirAsia is suffice for most of my travels, unless I know I will have a lot/heavy luggage, then I will fly Thai. All in all, I would rather save the thousands of baht and spend it on a nice meal with the misses!

Total speculation that they cancel flights because of not enough passengers. AirAsia is not the number one fastest growing airline because of a lack of flyers. I know FIRST HAND that their flights are almost always full, rarely falling below the 75% occupancy rate. Unlike Thai, where I have had many a flights with 4 seats at the back all to myself. To me it would make more sense for Thai to cancel a flight due to not enough passengers as they are the ones with the huge operating costs, NOT AirAsia.

I'm curious, what does the back of a plane look like? I always sit at the front, and those nice curtains block the view :o