Smoking Ban

Basil B

Just read on another thread that smoking in many places will be banned as of the 11th February, 2,000THB fine for the offender and 20,000THB fine for the operator.

My reason for asking is I am not a smoker and would like to be where there is no smoking, on my last visit to Pattaya in November last year I dinned at one of the Swiss restaurants in Soi Diamond, during the meal it seemed to get very uncomfortable with tobacco smoke, I noticed there was a no smoking sign above the door, but the only thing the management/waiters did was put ash trays on the tables for the smokers.

Do you think this ban will be enforced?

BB

Edited by Basil B

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't have much of an effect on Pattaya because such a large percentage of bars are open air.

I cannot seeing this working.... in samui that cannot even police people whereing helmets, let alone smoking!!!

as mentioned above most bars are open air.... so how will the law work with that? and with night clubs, the owners will pay a little tea money for the ploice not to come in :o

It won't have much of an effect on Pattaya because such a large percentage of bars are open air.

I am not shore of the wording of the ban but there is talk of it affecting open air places as well.

I used to try to be patient with smokers, but I'm tired of this disgusting habit ruining good meals. The putrid stench should not be allowed anywhere that food is served, period! :o

I am of the same mind, what has made it so noticeable is that hear in the UK the ban on smoking has been enforce for some time now and when I go out I certainly notice the difference so when I go to Thailand or as I had to the other week Prague it is like in your face if someone is smoking nearby.

BB

Edited by Basil B

Just read on another thread that smoking in many places will be banned as of the 11th February, 2,000THB fine for the offender and 20,000THB fine for the operator.

My reason for asking is I am not a smoker and would like to be where there is no smoking, on my last visit to Pattaya in November last year I dinned at one of the Swiss restaurants in Soi Diamond, during the meal it seemed to get very uncomfortable with tobacco smoke, I noticed there was a no smoking sign above the door, but the only thing the management/waiters did was put ash trays on the tables for the smokers.

Do you think this ban will be enforced?

BB

As far as I am aware there has been a no smoking ban in enclosed restaurants in Pattaya for a few years now and this legislation is in addition to the existing legislation.

Here is an article from the Pattaya Mail :-

New Smoking Ban No Big Deal. Thaiand Hoteliers say

Thai hoteliers have downplayed the impact of the new ban on smoking in the country’s bars, nightclubs and pubs.

Thailand’s Public Health Ministry is to launch the new regulation, banning smoking in air-conditioned entertainment venues and Bangkok’s popular Chatuchak outdoor weekend market in February. The fine for violators will be 2,000 baht (US$67) for individuals and 20,000 baht for the owners of nightclubs, pubs and bars.

This new regulation is in addition to the ministry’s ban on smoking in public areas such as government buildings, hospitals and train stations, which was imposed four years ago.

Bangkok’s Siam @ Siam Design Hotel and Spa general manager, Mr. Sanya Saengboon, said all the hotel’s f&b outlets were already smoke-free and there were separate smoking areas for guests. “The impact from the new smoking ban will be minimal. There have been no serious complaints about this so far,” he said.

However, Holiday Inn Chiangmai general manager, Mr. Alan Watts, said that while the new law might not hurt the hotel’s f&b outlets, it would create a big impact for the standalone indoor entertainment venues. (TTG)

As far as I am aware there has been a no smoking ban in enclosed restaurants in Pattaya for a few years now and this legislation is in addition to the existing legislation.

Here is an article from the Pattaya Mail :-

New Smoking Ban No Big Deal. Thaiand Hoteliers say

Thai hoteliers have downplayed the impact of the new ban on smoking in the country's bars, nightclubs and pubs.

Thailand's Public Health Ministry is to launch the new regulation, banning smoking in air-conditioned entertainment venues and Bangkok's popular Chatuchak outdoor weekend market in February. The fine for violators will be 2,000 baht (US$67) for individuals and 20,000 baht for the owners of nightclubs, pubs and bars.

This new regulation is in addition to the ministry's ban on smoking in public areas such as government buildings, hospitals and train stations, which was imposed four years ago.

Bangkok's Siam @ Siam Design Hotel and Spa general manager, Mr. Sanya Saengboon, said all the hotel's f&b outlets were already smoke-free and there were separate smoking areas for guests. "The impact from the new smoking ban will be minimal. There have been no serious complaints about this so far," he said.

However, Holiday Inn Chiangmai general manager, Mr. Alan Watts, said that while the new law might not hurt the hotel's f&b outlets, it would create a big impact for the standalone indoor entertainment venues. (TTG)

I was unaware of any smoking ban in any restaurant or bar, looks like the law will be flouted.

If it is enforced then I can see many air conditioned bars and restaurants ripping out the A/C units.

BB

If the law states that smoking in restaurants is unlawful, but the authorities won't or can't enforce these laws, does that mean that smokers can blatantly disregard them?

The same applies to traffic laws. If drink drive laws aren't strictly enforced should motorists then drive whilst drunk?

Where does individual responsibility and common sense (or common decency) come into being?

No smoking in bars

Could this be the end of Soi 6 ? :D

As long as they dont light them up we should all be ok ! :D

I have heard of hearts spontaneously combusting when being operated on, but not organs from the nether regions :D

But who knows? :o

Unlikely to be enforced like most things in thailand. :D
Not sure.

The fine in the previous law for restaurant was ridiculous : something like 500 bahts ?

The new fine is 20.000 baht and I think that restaurant and bar owner will now think twice... :o

Not sure.

The fine in the previous law for restaurant was ridiculous : something like 500 bahts ?

The new fine is 20.000 baht and I think that restaurant and bar owner will now think twice... :o

As far as I remember the fine for smoking in restaurants has always been 2000 baht for the offender and 20.000 for the restauranrt owner.At the time that law was created it was followed strictly however over the years it vanished.I am a smoker but I support the smoking ban in any place that serves food.Nothing so disgusting as eating in an area with smokers.

Not sure.

As far as I remember the fine for smoking in restaurants has always been 2000 baht for the offender and 20.000 for the restauranrt owner.At the time that law was created it was followed strictly however over the years it vanished.I am a smoker but I support the smoking ban in any place that serves food.Nothing so disgusting as eating in an area with smokers.

Agreed.

Enforce it in restauarants but leave the bars alone, especially the open bars.

From what I understand it is to be enforced, for how long who can say! But for sure there will be regular inspections of establishments to ensure that the law is be upheld.

I know that there have been comments about taking out aic con but I do not think this will happen. But the law also applies to 'open bars' also.

Also I do not see owners paying 20,000 baht because someone is smoking in their bar.

This type of law has been implemented elswhere in the world... almost part of Globalisation Strategies vis Health Care issues. The application of this law in Thailand and this is my view only will be about revenue/tea money and little about health care principles. :o

I do not see many 'Thai' bars etc being hit with this level of scrutiny! So yet another 'hit' in the pocket of Falang owned business.

There seems to be alot of confusion on this.

The original announcement in December was that smoking would be banned in all air-con entertainment venues wef 13th Feb.

Then last week a new announcement was made saying that smoking would be banned in all public areas, including open bars, markets etc wef 11th Feb.

From what I gather most of the bar owners don't know whats going on yet, so it will be interesting to see. Can't see it lasting myself, the same as the law banning smoking in air-con restaurants was enforced for a few months in 2004, but is now generally ignored.

I used to try to be patient with smokers, but I'm tired of this disgusting habit ruining good meals. The putrid stench should not be allowed anywhere that food is served, period! :o

Hear Hear.... but same goes for that trash burning... it permeates everywhere as well. :D

Not sure.

Great init....should be Morrreeeeeeeeee...say 1M Bt...... :D roll on next Jolli......No Fags No Fags...all Gone...... :D

There seems to be alot of confusion on this.

The original announcement in December was that smoking would be banned in all air-con entertainment venues wef 13th Feb.

Then last week a new announcement was made saying that smoking would be banned in all public areas, including open bars, markets etc wef 11th Feb.

From what I gather most of the bar owners don't know whats going on yet, so it will be interesting to see. Can't see it lasting myself, the same as the law banning smoking in air-con restaurants was enforced for a few months in 2004, but is now generally ignored.

As far as I know City Hall has already had meeting with owners regarding smoking etc!

And what was the outcome Begs? Sounds like you are in the dark as well.

My understanding is that they are intent on enforcement. Fines etc etc. 2,000 for the person smoking. 20,000 for the Owner if a customer is smoking.

For outside spaces where people smoke bars are expected to have special ash trays with sand in the top.

If I hear of any other compliance details I will post.

smoking ban in outside bars is just plain stupid, they're not even doing that in the west, I agree with a ban in all places that serve food except if they have outside tables

it seems the local authorities are exploiting this for their own pockets

when laws like this are implemented there needs to be a certain ammount of common sense otherwise they will fail, the original announcement a while back was getting there but now it has become a farce

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Koh Chang restaurant in Korat last night and the ban was beiing rigorously enforced.

This restaurant is entirely open, even the part with a roof has no enclosed sides.

The manager said that the local police come round every night to make sure they are enforcing the ban.... :o:D

Banning smoking in an open air place. Is just stupid.

TIT. Top marks to the fun police.

Kill yourself quietly at home. None of us want to go with you selfish people.

You assume im a smoker. im not.

People like you would ban farting in public if you could.

Now i see, that spelling error :o

Edited by plasticpig
spelling error amended