Inflammed / Ripped "hamstring"

skippybangkok

Hi,

Been to Sumitivej...not happy, then to Bangrumrad ( not happy too ), and finally ended up with a Orthopedics sports Dr. in Bangkok Hospital. He seems to have a good grip of things but.....

...just wondering if anyone has any other views / recommendations. Have a inflamed muscle in the left buttock ( part of the ham string group ), and has been like this for 2 months.

General treatment is

- Anti - inflamatories ( i.e. Celebrex / Arcoxia )

- Muscle relaxant.

- Physio - Massage, ultrasound (seems to do squat all ) and hot / cold packs

- Stretching daily ( get thai massage person to contort me ).

Been 2 months now, with some improvement, but still not out of the woods. Any recommendations / ways out of this ?

( p.s. 1st two hospitals - they tried to tell me it was a nerve issue. I know what nerve back aches feel like, and this was clearly muscular ).

Hi,

Been to Sumitivej...not happy, then to Bangrumrad ( not happy too ), and finally ended up with a Orthopedics sports Dr. in Bangkok Hospital. He seems to have a good grip of things but.....

...just wondering if anyone has any other views / recommendations. Have a inflamed muscle in the left buttock ( part of the ham string group ), and has been like this for 2 months.

General treatment is

- Anti - inflamatories ( i.e. Celebrex / Arcoxia )

- Muscle relaxant.

- Physio - Massage, ultrasound (seems to do squat all ) and hot / cold packs

- Stretching daily ( get thai massage person to contort me ).

Been 2 months now, with some improvement, but still not out of the woods. Any recommendations / ways out of this ?

( p.s. 1st two hospitals - they tried to tell me it was a nerve issue. I know what nerve back aches feel like, and this was clearly muscular ).

How did the injury happen?

Problem may be with the attachment of the muscle to the bone and this is much different than just a muscle tear. It will take much longer to heal and may require rest rather than active mobilisation. Anti-inflammatories are of little value this late in the injury.

Could it be tendonitus?

I suffer from this occasionally as another symptom of high uric acid levels, gout.

Probably not if you remember an injury/fall but of you don't maybe a blood test could be worthwhile.

Cheers

Ps this is I believe what Harry Kewell was sufffering from during the Asian cup

Thx.

I travel to another place monthly (stay one or 2 weeks) where i walk to work in the morning, unlike in BKK where i drive everywhere. The walk to work is about 25 mins, and is a stiff walk. Cause i dont exercise much ( my bad ), every time i go there, i get a sore back (muscles spasms ) on the first day in lower back. I think i slipped one rung on a stair case on the first day of walking , and had the obligatory sore back / butt that evening. Normally but tuesday it goes.

This got worse and worse over 4 days, till was in severe pain. Got home, saw Dr. and ended up on sofa for almost 2 weeks in heavy pain.

Alot better now, but, if i stop with the Celebrex, within 24 hours the pain returns quite severely. Can feel lumps in the muscle, and the pain is in the muscle ( mid way) when you kneed it. Massage (hurts like hel_l) seems to make it feel better for a day.

Thx.

I travel to another place monthly (stay one or 2 weeks) where i walk to work in the morning, unlike in BKK where i drive everywhere. The walk to work is about 25 mins, and is a stiff walk. Cause i dont exercise much ( my bad ), every time i go there, i get a sore back (muscles spasms ) on the first day in lower back. I think i slipped one rung on a stair case on the first day of walking , and had the obligatory sore back / butt that evening. Normally but tuesday it goes.

This got worse and worse over 4 days, till was in severe pain. Got home, saw Dr. and ended up on sofa for almost 2 weeks in heavy pain.

Alot better now, but, if i stop with the Celebrex, within 24 hours the pain returns quite severely. Can feel lumps in the muscle, and the pain is in the muscle ( mid way) when you kneed it. Massage (hurts like hel_l) seems to make it feel better for a day.

Any muscle tear is an acute injury following a very specific incident; pain is immediate and there is usually no problem to relate these two.

Slipping on steps, especially going down, can cause spinal injury with resultant disc injury and nerve root irritation. Pain in the buttock indicates a problem at the Lumbar spine 2/3. The severe back muscle spasm is secondary to that nerve root irritation.

I doubt that this is a muscle (hamstring) tear and more likely a back problem. May be worth while to have a X-ray taken of the lumbar spine and checked by an Orthopedic Doc.

Massage is good but not Thai style; ask for Swedish and do 2h. Find a competent masseur.

Any muscle tear is an acute injury following a very specific incident; pain is immediate and there is usually no problem to relate these two.

Slipping on steps, especially going down, can cause spinal injury with resultant disc injury and nerve root irritation. Pain in the buttock indicates a problem at the Lumbar spine 2/3. The severe back muscle spasm is secondary to that nerve root irritation.

I doubt that this is a muscle (hamstring) tear and more likely a back problem. May be worth while to have a X-ray taken of the lumbar spine and checked by an Orthopedic Doc.

Massage is good but not Thai style; ask for Swedish and do 2h. Find a competent masseur.

Looking above, it seems your very familiar with medical stuff....thks for you comments . (really!! ) I have had pinched nerves before, this pain is very different. In the muscle them selves ( i think mid way ) there are lumps (Thai's say "Gorn") which are very painful when pressed. I think i slipped up one rung only, and the slip was insignificant, almost forgettable ( like a horse kinda tripping slightly and gaining its footage)

They have done all the contortions in the hospital and ruled our nerve issues ( and i tend to feel its a muscle issue as well ).

Strangely, I have a new batch of Anti-inflamatories ( 3 day break), and 12 hours after being back on the tablets, pain subsides substantially. ( dont take muscle relaxant anymore)

Looking above, it seems your very familiar with medical stuff....thks for you comments . (really!! ) I have had pinched nerves before, this pain is very different. In the muscle them selves ( i think mid way ) there are lumps (Thai's say "Gorn") which are very painful when pressed. I think i slipped up one rung only, and the slip was insignificant, almost forgettable ( like a horse kinda tripping slightly and gaining its footage)

They have done all the contortions in the hospital and ruled our nerve issues ( and i tend to feel its a muscle issue as well ).

Strangely, I have a new batch of Anti-inflamatories ( 3 day break), and 12 hours after being back on the tablets, pain subsides substantially. ( dont take muscle relaxant anymore)

Skip. I think you have to rest up, no other way I think. The thing with the lumps is they could or could not have any thing to do with the problem. I'm not sure if there are lymph nodes in this area, but swelling would be consistent.

My gusess is it is exactly what you say it is, but personally i think an xray is in order.

Rest, applications of heat (hot baths/heating pads etc), oral anti-inflammatories iof you have no contraindication to them (be sure to take with food), gentle massage, can also massage in an anti-inflammatory cream (emphasis on gentles massage -- nothing that causes discomfort or pain). And gentle stretches/exercise, just up to the point of feeling the stretch but not outright pain.

All of the abocve you can probably do on your own to the same effect as costly hospital services that are essentially the same.

You don't need an Xray as there is c learly no fracture but if healing doesn't progress might need an MRI.

Rest, applications of heat (hot baths/heating pads etc), oral anti-inflammatories iof you have no contraindication to them (be sure to take with food), gentle massage, can also massage in an anti-inflammatory cream (emphasis on gentles massage -- nothing that causes discomfort or pain). And gentle stretches/exercise, just up to the point of feeling the stretch but not outright pain.

Thx,

Found out the hard way, the therapists bruised me by massaging too hard, which was a painful combination. Did not know, and thought they knew whats best. When Dr. found out, he went ballistic.

Have heat pads, but will hot bath more. What kind of cream ?