Thai Driving Test

Does anyone know of any details about taking the Thai driving test in Surat? Is BKK the only option for non Thai speakers? Just to clarify - I don't hold a UK license so I am not just talking about getting a Thai license - I need to do the full driving and theory test.

Any help appreciated!

Does anyone know of any details about taking the Thai driving test in Surat? Is BKK the only option for non Thai speakers? Just to clarify - I don't hold a UK license so I am not just talking about getting a Thai license - I need to do the full driving and theory test.

Any help appreciated!

Not sure about other places, but I do know you can take the full test ( Written/accuity/driving skill) in Samui at the govt driving centre in Lipa Noi. However whether you are qualified to hold a Thai drivers license depends on your status. ie. Work permit holder/director of a Thai company/householder etc.

Language is not a problem in taking the test in Samui.

Any help appreciated!

Not sure about other places, but I do know you can take the full test ( Written/accuity/driving skill) in Samui at the govt driving centre in Lipa Noi. However whether you are qualified to hold a Thai drivers license depends on your status. ie. Work permit holder/director of a Thai company/householder etc.

Not sure if you need driving skill in Samui. Just a good nerve and a lot of luck.

You will need a Non Imm Visa to apply. Yes can do in Samui. I did not have to take any test, but by all accounts it is not difficult.

Any help appreciated!

Not sure if you need driving skill in Samui. Just a good nerve and a lot of luck.

You will need a Non Imm Visa to apply. Yes can do in Samui. I did not have to take any test, but by all accounts it is not difficult.

I did not pass the theory at the first time, only second time with help from the old tester lady.....god bless her :o

It's not expensive to pass the theory test (I've been told) :o

I don't know who told you that, but the fact is, I have on two occasions now, found it impossible to even leave a normal tip at this office.

You should be more careful when you make statements like that.

The Thai driving test is pretty straight forward.

first you watch a vid explaining the rules and answer questions as such, then a simple driving test around a circuit, including driving close to the kirb, driving forwards and backwards through poles, then a "hill" start.

If you have an IDP then no need to take the test !!

I don't know who told you that, but the fact is, I have on two occasions now, found it impossible to even leave a normal tip at this office.

I transfered ownership of my older bike there. I was with a Thai. She said that there is a lady there, who said she could make nearly anything happen with the right amount of money. I saw her at work. The trick is that you have to be a competent Thai speaker and you have to sort of wink-nod your way into the conversation, like: "Gee that driving part of the test might be tough." "Well, yes and no, if you are prepared." "Sure, I wish I could find an easier way to do this." "Oh, I might know something about that." "I guess it would be worth it to know what you know, if you know what I mean..." And so on until you get the money across and the deal is done.

I have my doubts about a foreigner's chances ... with English they would be zero. With very good Thai...first you have to find the lady...then you have to finesse the situation. But it can be done; I saw it with my own eyes.

By the way, I passed the written part for both car and motorbike; they were easy.

Edited by Mark Wolfe

I transfered ownership of my older bike there. I was with a Thai. She said that there is a lady there, who said she could make nearly anything happen with the right amount of money. I saw her at work. The trick is that you have to be a competent Thai speaker and you have to sort of wink-nod your way into the conversation, like: "Gee that driving part of the test might be tough." "Well, yes and no, if you are prepared." "Sure, I wish I could find an easier way to do this." "Oh, I might know something about that." "I guess it would be worth it to know what you know, if you know what I mean..." And so on until you get the money across and the deal is done.

I have my doubts about a foreigner's chances ... with English they would be zero. With very good Thai...first you have to find the lady...then you have to finesse the situation. But it can be done; I saw it with my own eyes.

By the way, I passed the written part for both car and motorbike; they were easy.

No Problem, go ahead Mate and take the risk. That's up to you. I'm not talking about what somebody told me, I'm just telling you what happened to me with my own experience. I get by in Thai ok and believe me, in 28 years, I have made use of this kind of system many times in other areas that did not involve compromising other people's safety. On top of that I had my Thai secretary with me, who was the one that tried to leave the tip, which was just simply change from a transaction and on two occasions they just said "thanks but no thanks, not allowed."

Only reporting what happened to me, because it quite surprised me at the time and to be honest it quite pleased me to think that someone who left there might actually have some genuine level of competence through having passed some kind of test rather than being on the same level as most of the normal lethal Samui bunch. My comments re. "being more careful" simply was about the fact that though we all know this kind of thing might go on, it is not so smart to discuss it in an open forum that has your photo on it.

That's all.

Cheers.

Edited by nod

Do not try to buy a licence on Samui

The lady that issues the licences is probably the only one on this island you can not bribe.

You need the following:

2 one inch photos.

Copies of passport and Visa (must be Non-O or Non-B )

Medical certificate.

Letter from Immigration with your permanent adress.

Copy of International driving licence. (if you do not have this then you will need to take the tests)

If you intend to take licence for both MC and car then you will need all of the above in two copies.

You will need to be att motor office 9 AM for color blind test, reaction test and split vision test.

You need to bring your motorbike/car, they do not have any to lend out.

Do not try to buy a licence on Samui

The lady that issues the licences is probably the only one on this island you can not bribe.

You need the following:

2 one inch photos.

Copies of passport and Visa (must be Non-O or Non-B )

Medical certificate.

Letter from Immigration with your permanent adress.

Copy of International driving licence. (if you do not have this then you will need to take the tests)

If you intend to take licence for both MC and car then you will need all of the above in two copies.

You will need to be att motor office 9 AM for color blind test, reaction test and split vision test.

You need to bring your motorbike/car, they do not have any to lend out.

as previously stated.....500bht = no test = licence...!

great for confusing the hel_l out of european car-hire companys ... hahahahaha

Nod wrote:

I'm not talking about what somebody told me, I'm just telling you what happened to me with my own experience.

Me too.

I don't know about getting the license, but this I know, you can get your vehicle past inspection without it being inspected. For a price.

My guess is that foreign involvement kills the backhanded deals. My transaction appeared to have been all within Thai frameworks, and my name was not involved, nor did I deal with the people at the window.

I should mention that I did not bribe anyone...there was no reason not to go through the process. And, the lady said that people do this not so much for getting around the law, but to speed up a process that is basically a way to bilk the public. "Safety inspections" which involve tooting the horn and popping the hood? Yeah, right.

Thanks everyone. I have the neccessary non-imm B and permit but no international driving license. I want to get a car - probably on finance, hence why I need it. If I didn't I wouldn't bother!

If you have license in your home country, your embassy can set you up with an international driving license.

Thanks everyone. I have the neccessary non-imm B and permit but no international driving license. I want to get a car - probably on finance, hence why I need it. If I didn't I wouldn't bother!

If you have license in your home country, your embassy can set you up with an international driving license.

No licence in the UK :o . This is the only way I can do it..

I did my driving test in Surat, failed the theory test at the first time, but once my GF translated the thai booklet, with different content than the english book they gave me before, I made it the second time.

Does anybody know if I can drive with this in european countries or do I have to get an international one first?

I did my driving test in Surat, failed the theory test at the first time, but once my GF translated the thai booklet, with different content than the english book they gave me before, I made it the second time.

Does anybody know if I can drive with this in european countries or do I have to get an international one first?

You need to get an IDP, here in Thailand. It's about 500 thb, and valid for one year only. Also, you need to wait for one year, before you can apply for an IDP.

I just got my license, passed the 2 tests in Bangkok. I got there at 8:30 and went out with my brand new thai license after taking the tests, at noon. They spoke english, where really helpfull, and rented me an automatic car for 100 bahts, to pass the driving test. I'm glad I did it in Bkk. Concidering it only takes half a day, you should concider doing it there, if you get the chance :o

Edited by kevdulounge

• 2 weeks later...
Also, you need to wait for one year, before you can apply for an IDP.

Huh???

Here is how it goes in Samui:

Turn up at 9am and wait for everyone to hand in all their documents then go upstairs at 9:30am to take the physical tests: colorblind test, reaction time test (can you stomp on a break pedal quickly?), depth perception test (manipulate a peg in a box across the room to line up with a similar stationary peg), and a peripheral vision test.

Unless you are a total retard, you pass all these and then, as a foreigner, go back downstairs and they give you two study booklets: one is is color and has traffic signs and some street markings; the other has some rules of the road, but little in the way of meaningful information.

The written test is held at 1pm but as soon as you hand back the study material, you can't look at it again. Why this is is baffling. It's as if they want you to fail, or to test your short term retention of material.

At 1pm they take you back upstairs to a room with four computer terminal affairs where the test is displayed. There are 30 multiple choice questions, and the English test is as bizarre as it is confounding. Many questions will be repeated in various forms -- parking and passing on the left seem to be hot topics.

Unfortunately, the questions generally have nothing to do with anything in the study booklets. One example is this: "Which of these vehicles is prohibited from operating on a public road?" Two of the choices are clearly allowable, but the other two -- "A vehicle with no windshield" and "A tank used in warfare" left me scratching my head. One thing in the test booklet says that only vehicles with rubber tires are allowed on public streets, so you would think that a tank might be a no-no, but in fact, up against a windshieldless vehicle, the tank is, apparently, OK. Maybe as long as the tank has a proper windshield....

Some of the questions refer to a picture or an animated gif. One stationary image showed a car at an intersection with a green light. On the right was a car stopped at a red light. The question asked what "car A" should do (the one at the green light). Three questions started with "Stop, then..." and one started with, "Slow down, then..." I asked the examiner what this was about -- cars at green lights don't stop or slow down -- and she just said, "I don't know." And I don't know what the answer was either.

I failed the first test -- you can miss up to seven -- and then you are instructed to come the following morning, with the wink/nod that you will "Pass tomorrow, sure."

And you do. Either I was lucky the second time -- I missed five -- or the thing is on a governor that only allows you to miss a certain number. The questions were even more bizarre the second time around.

At 2pm you go out and stand in a row facing the driving examiner. You have to have a car as there isn't one for loan. The examiner knows the power he wields and lectures everyone (in Thai) for a very long time considering that the only thing the test involves is: 1. Driving down a straight path lined with poles about five car-lengths long, stopping and then backing up using your mirrors; 2. Driving up to the curb and parking; 3. Pulling away from the curb and then backing in for a parallel park.

That's it. Signal when you do something and wear your seatbelt.

The cost is something like 125 baht.

Edited by Mark Wolfe