Cement Pond

DanBlack

You can buy add mixtures that will make the cement waterproof it's made by the Silka people and comes in yellow cans, just pour it in the mix. But if it's too late for that use a waterproof "membrain" paint, both items at Homeworks and Homemart shops.

I have a fairly large pond in the garden that has a cement liner but for some reason or other we forgot to use add mixture and the water slowly leaches out after over a few days, so yes good idea to make it waterproof from the start.

Do I really need rebar in a 1x1m pond ??

No you don't.

I have a 5mtr x 3 mtr x 1 mtr deep waterfall pond built directly into the ground. (mostly sand)

Dr. Naam's idea of chicken wire is a good one, you can also fashion some nice shapes around the edge with it then screed roughly over it. Make sure you don't get any cavities though when you pour the cement.

If you really want to finish it nicely Homemart sell a selection of imported American color spray that closely resembles actual rock colors, granite, sandstone etc. I have used them on the cement around my pond above the water line just to kill the cement color.

By "rebar" what I really meant was some kind of steel reinforcement....the chicken wire is good and also you can use fencing wire (barbed or plain) to reinforce the corners a bit more....to do this cut lengths of wire about 70 cm long and bend it to 90 degrees in the centre...then form small hooks on the ends using about 4 cm at the end......put these in every 10 to 20 cm at any corners where the sides come together and where the sides meet the bottom. You could make these out of small guage rebar too but then you would have to get a tool to bend it with while the wire can be bent by hand or with pliers. It might not be necessary if you have good solid earth to build against and if you have good quality concrete thick enough but it doesn't cost much and isn't difficult to do.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

By "rebar" what I really meant was some kind of steel reinforcement....the chicken wire is good and also you can use fencing wire (barbed or plain) to reinforce the corners a bit more....to do this cut lengths of wire about 70 cm long and bend it to 90 degrees in the centre...then form small hooks on the ends using about 4 cm at the end......put these in every 10 to 20 cm at any corners where the sides come together and where the sides meet the bottom. You could make these out of small guage rebar too but then you would have to get a tool to bend it with while the wire can be bent by hand or with pliers. It might not be necessary if you have good solid earth to build against and if you have good quality concrete thick enough but it doesn't cost much and isn't difficult to do.

Chownah

Yep that will make a nice strong job, you are a true perfectionist Mr. Chownah :o