Know Any Inexpensive Badminton Courts?

Wizzard of Oz

Do you know of any badminton courts that are inexpensive (thai price?) that is not too far from old city?

Don't know about close to the old city but there are some courts on Tung Hotel Road (turn left at the traffic lights just past the railway station heading east "towards Sankhampaeng") It's some ways down on your left. Big sports complex.

Don't know the court fees however they are open most days and there used to be heaps of Thai folk playing there in the evenings. Always made you feel very welcome.

They also have tennis courts and a decent sized pool. Aerobics most evenings too "worth the trip just to go and watch" :o

Do you know of any badminton courts that are inexpensive (thai price?) that is not too far from old city?

Don't know about close to the old city but there are some courts on Tung Hotel Road (turn left at the traffic lights just past the railway station heading east "towards Sankhampaeng") It's some ways down on your left. Big sports complex.

Don't know the court fees however they are open most days and there used to be heaps of Thai folk playing there in the evenings. Always made you feel very welcome.

They also have tennis courts and a decent sized pool. Aerobics most evenings too "worth the trip just to go and watch" :o

The 700 year stadium definitely has some, but I have no idea how much they charge for their use..? We used to play tennis there. The place in Tung Hotel road is predominantly a Thai sports club, and the swimming pool was dirty the last time we went. But yes, I remember they also had badminton courts. If it's not a serious competition, you could just buy a net, and stick it up somewhere near your house..? We did that in our village, and it was popular with the local boys to play Takraw too..!

Edited by paulbrun

I'm actually interested in playing badminton as well. I wouldn't say that I'm good at it, but I'm competitive enough. Fancy a new playing partners?

It's a while since I played 'Badders', but I may have a racket somewhere, if it hasn't rotted away. I play tennis at the moment, but an alternative for the rainy days is not a bad idea. I don't know what it stands for, but I've seen people saying 'PM me' ?

I did play a few times at the sports club on Tunghotel road and found that they were a friendly group (all Thai). There didn't seem to be any need to be a member and like all courts in Thailand, they were, by definition, Thai prices!! :o

I'm actually interested in playing badminton as well. I wouldn't say that I'm good at it, but I'm competitive enough. Fancy a new playing partners?

It's a while since I played 'Badders', but I may have a racket somewhere, if it hasn't rotted away. I play tennis at the moment, but an alternative for the rainy days is not a bad idea. I don't know what it stands for, but I've seen people saying 'PM me' ?

I did play a few times at the sports club on Tunghotel road and found that they were a friendly group (all Thai). There didn't seem to be any need to be a member and like all courts in Thailand, they were, by definition, Thai prices!! :o

Cool........By the way, where can we play? I would be happy if you can arrange a time and date to play as well. You might want to bring in a few more guys to play as I don't want you to be disappointed although that I think I can play 'well'. I'm better at tennis. :D

I did play a few times at the sports club on Tunghotel road and found that they were a friendly group (all Thai). There didn't seem to be any need to be a member and like all courts in Thailand, they were, by definition, Thai prices!! :D

Cool........By the way, where can we play? I would be happy if you can arrange a time and date to play as well. You might want to bring in a few more guys to play as I don't want you to be disappointed although that I think I can play 'well'. I'm better at tennis. :D

The courts at Thunghotel road are handy for me. Maybe we can wait to see if more people respond for a social badminton night (Wed/Thursday at 4.30?). Failing that we could play singles, and you could have a good run around as I place them left , right, short, left, right, short ......

"I'm better at tennis. " :D

So am I!! :o

They also have tennis courts and a decent sized pool. Aerobics most evenings too "worth the trip just to go and watch" :D

Is it far from around tapae gate or night bazaar area (i.e. far from the old city)? How many mins by motorbike?

We did find some courts at CMU for 40b/hr which is pretty good btw.

If it's not a serious competition, you could just buy a net, and stick it up somewhere near your house..? We did that in our village, and it was popular with the local boys to play Takraw too..!

Yea I'm not too serious about it .. but my friends are typical guys who try to win more than just for fun (unfortunantly) ... so I think it needs to be a proper court =/

Haha ... I suck at the game. Unlike the carry over in ability from tennis to squash, it doesn't seem to carry over to badminton :D

A couple of guys I play with are not bad tho

Yeah, sure. We mostly play around the early afternoon for an hour or so somewhere between 1 and 4

Not sure how suitable that time is for most folk tho.

I'm better at tennis. :D

So am I!! :o

So am I !!

But with teniis or badminton, I prefer doubles so I can spend more time hitting the ball and less time running after the ball :D

• 5 months later...
The courts at Thunghotel road are handy for me. Maybe we can wait to see if more people respond for a social badminton night (Wed/Thursday at 4.30?).

If some people would like to play badminton "for fun" regularly, please count me in.

But, I'm only available in the evening (after 7) on the workdays and whole day on the weekend.

Try the Body & Mind Gym on the airport service road (parallel to the Hangdong road). A years membership is only 4,000 Baht(ish), and I think it's great for the money. They have a large indoor hall that can be used for badminton. I don't know how much for non-members, but it sure won't be expensive. Enjoy...

PS: They have tennis courts too!

Edited by ChiangMaiAjarn

The courts at Thunghotel road are handy for me. Maybe we can wait to see if more people respond for a social badminton night (Wed/Thursday at 4.30?).

If some people would like to play badminton "for fun" regularly, please count me in.

But, I'm only available in the evening (after 7) on the workdays and whole day on the weekend.

Let's see if we can get the ball rolling (or to be more precise .. the shuttlecock flying) .

Weekends is okay for me at the moment, but courts may be busier? Might be worth a try though?

I play tennis Mon, Tues , Fri

I could probably manage Thurs at 7? Anyone available? Tungotel Rd - near the railway station.

Edited by KevinHUNT

Weekends is okay for me at the moment, but courts may be busier? Might be worth a try though?

I play tennis Mon, Tues , Fri

I could probably manage Thurs at 7? Anyone available? Tungotel Rd - near the railway station.

I have two Thai friends (office mate) who are also interested to join.

One of them is only available on Mon,Tue,Wed 7-9pm and Saturday all day.

The other one is available on Mon and Wed 7-9pm.

He said the courts at thunghotel is busy, but we could try. And he has a suggestion to use the court at Land and House Village, at Mae Jo. It's less people there.

so, is it on? Has it been finalised?

It looks like the weekend is the best option. I'm based right in town and wouldn't have the time to go to mae Jo so how about 4pm on Sat or Sun at Tunghotel road? I think the courts can be booked .

how about 4pm on Sat or Sun at Tunghotel road? I think the courts can be booked .

Saturday 4pm is perfect for me, I'm in.

1. KevinHUNT

2. ungu

3. ...

4. ...

(please put your name to this list by yourself)

How many people do we need before we make it happen?

how about 4pm on Sat or Sun at Tunghotel road? I think the courts can be booked .

Saturday 4pm is perfect for me, I'm in.

1. KevinHUNT

2. ungu

3. ...

4. ...

How many people do we need before we make it happen?

I can play singles, if we're only two. But the more the merrier!!

Badminton on Saturday 4pm at Tunghotel road:

1. KevinHUNT

2. ungu

3. taurusguy

4. year (friend of ungu)

5. ...

6. ...

If KevinHUNT can book the court, we could start playing this Saturday :o

1. KevinHUNT

2. ungu

3. taurusguy

4. year (friend of ungu)

5. ...

6. ...

If KevinHUNT can book the court, we could start playing this Saturday :o

The court is booked. See you there at 4. Got any shuttles, Cock?

I've only got one (shuttle) !!

Edited by KevinHUNT

Hey Ungu, if you don't mind me asking, where are you from? How can I recognise you? I think I know who Kevin is already....Thanks.

OK, I pm you.

BTW again, because yesterday my friend still didnt sure that we can start playing today, he apparently has made another appointment this afternoon, so he cannot join us today :o sorry.

So, I guess the first session will be just the three of us.

Maybe next Saturday will be more people can come.

Hey Ungu, if you don't mind me asking, where are you from? How can I recognise you? I think I know who Kevin is already....Thanks.

OK, I pm you.

BTW again, because yesterday my friend still didnt sure that we can start playing today, he apparently has made another appointment this afternoon, so he cannot join us today :o sorry.

So, I guess the first session will be just the three of us.

Maybe next Saturday will be more people can come.

Any late sustitutes out there?

1. KevinHUNT

2. ungu

3. taurusguy

4. year (friend of ungu)

5. ...

6. ...

If KevinHUNT can book the court, we could start playing this Saturday :D

Well, the first game of 'badders' in 2-3 years for me went off quite well. Although we were only 3, a good Thai player joined so we managed a few sets of doubles. Which was just as well, because Torresguy and Ungu seemed to think that them against me would be the best option. :o

I play tennis regularly, so I'm not suffering too much today, but Torresguy and Ungu may be suffering since neither had exercised much for a while, and they (especially Torresguy) weren't holding back.

I managed to lose all my games so I suppose that makes me 'the weakest link'. Still, they are a fair bit younger and, more importantly, lighter than me. So ...... are there any fat, old folk out there that want to join us so that I can improve my average?

The court is booked for Saturday next week at 4.30pm ,anyone wishing to join us please let us know.

I play tennis regularly, so I'm not suffering too much today, but Torresguy and Ungu may be suffering since neither had exercised much for a while, and they (especially Torresguy) weren't holding back.

I managed to lose all my games so I suppose that makes me 'the weakest link'. Still, they are a fair bit younger and, more importantly, lighter than me. So ...... are there any fat, old folk out there that want to join us so that I can improve my average?

You're right, I have sore muscles all over my body, but it was fun.

Actually, I was also ran out of my breath and energy during the game, but luckily, my partner was hardworker enough to run around catching some of the shuttlecocks that should be my responsibility :o

See you next Saturday...

I would like to join in the badminton fun....can someone please tell me when/where the next game will be? Also, is anyone interested in playing more often than just once a week? I can play on most weeknights and have a flexible schedule.

I am also interested in playing squash, if there are others who play.

Thanks.

1. KevinHUNT

2. ungu

3. taurusguy

4. year (friend of ungu)

5. trek970

6. ...

Well, the first game of 'badders' in 2-3 years for me went off quite well. Although we were only 3, a good Thai player joined so we managed a few sets of doubles. Which was just as well, because Torresguy and Ungu seemed to think that them against me would be the best option. :o

The court is booked for Saturday next week at 4.30pm ,anyone wishing to join us please let us know.

I would like to join in the badminton fun....can someone please tell me when/where the next game will be? Also, is anyone interested in playing more often than just once a week? I can play on most weeknights and have a flexible schedule.

I am also interested in playing squash, if there are others who play.

Thanks.

1. KevinHUNT

2. ungu

3. taurusguy

4. year (friend of ungu)

5. trek970

6. ...

Squash is played regularly at Chiang Mai Gymkhana Club. Most nights at about 4.30 there are folks there and I think Thursday is a club night.

http://www.chiengmaigymkhana.com/facilities.htm

The subject of squash has been raised on this forum before so try a search on the forum.

I'm busy other nights with tennis so can't fit any more badminton right now.

As a side note..... in reply to the original question of the OP ....

Does anyone know of any expensive badminton courts in Chiang Mai? :D

Edited by KevinHUNT

I would like to join in the badminton fun....can someone please tell me when/where the next game will be?

For anyone who'd like to join badminton, just let us know, and come on Saturday 4.30pm at the sport center at Thunghotel road.

Direction: from Nawarat bridge, go to the train station, few meters after the train station turn left on the traffic light, you will be on the Thunghotel road. Just go straight until the road a little bit curvy to the left, and then on the left side you will see the sport center. The court is booked under Kevin's name.

Well, thanks alot to you both, Kev and Ungu, for the game on the weekend. It was a great one and I've been enjoying myself much.As a matter of fact, I couldn't even lift up my shoulders on Monday. :o It's getting better now but I still feel the sore all over my body. It was a good feeling after all, getting back to fitness, hopefully.I guess i'll be seeing you guys there again this weekend.Thanks again.