Bridge Players!

jimbim

Hi, I'm not a woman, but the love of my life is.

She is leaving everything behind to join me in Bangkok in October, including her bridge club, and I would love to make her transition easier.

Any suggestions appreciated. Also any other women's clubs would be great to hear about.

Thanks. :o

Jimbim, no worries. I am sure the love of your life would find something to do....or she can teach me bridge!! :D

Let me know when she lands!!!! :D

hey Jimbim,

I use to play bridge when I was (very) young. Would love to play again.

So Jimbim, when your lady comes over here, let me know as well.

But we will have to find a 4th player... Not that easy. So, if we cannot find it, instead of playing cards, we will play drinks :D

I am sure that SK agrees with me :o

cheers

sego

Hi Sego!!!!!! I am sure we can find a 4th person for Bridge, after all there are like 10 million people in BKK alone................ :D

Wouldnt mind a drink or two while concentrating on bridge............... :D

Finding a 4th one... hum... maybe you're right, it will not that hard to find regarding the population of bgkk.

But it must be a women, because if not, I must find hard to concentrate on my game, ughhhh..... :o

just googled and came up with this: --->>http://www.worldbridge.org/zones/nbo.asp?orgid=115

THAILAND

NBO   Contract Bridge League of Thailand

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Postal Address   Room 265, Sports Authority of Thailand

2088 Ram Kam Haeng Road

Hua Mark, Bangkapi

10240  Bangkok

Telephone   +66-2-369 3434

Fax   +66-2-369 1528

Membership   267 players

i'll email him/her and see what's up [the email is on the site, i'll not post it here].

i don't know where it's located [and don't have my map here]. could anyone give me north/south etc? i'll be up by jj market.

Hi, I'm not a woman, but the love of my life is.

She is leaving everything behind to join me in Bangkok in October, including her bridge club, and I would love to make her transition easier.

Any suggestions appreciated. Also any other women's clubs would be great to hear about.

Thanks. :o

ok, i've been doing a bit of strolling around myself, while getting ready to land in bangkok.

bridge [not including what's been posted above]:

Monday

09.00-12.30 7th Fl. Landmark Hotel, Sukhumvit Rd. Open Pairs

Tuesday

09.30-12.30 RBSC Polo Club, Soi Polo, Wireless Rd. Ladies Pairs

Wednesday

09.30-12.30 The Royal Bangkok Sports Club, Henry Dunant Rd. Ladies Pairs

Thursday

09.00-12.00 Hilton Hotel Open Pairs Only for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd week

19.00-23.00 The Royal Bangkok Sports Club, Henry Dunant Rd. Swiss Teams For 1st, 3rd & 5th week

19.00-22.30 The Royal Bangkok Sports Club, Henry Dunant Rd. Open Pairs For 2nd & 4th week

Friday

09.30-12.30 RBSC Polo Club, Soi Polo, Wireless Rd. Open Pairs

Saturday

08.30-11.30 27th Fl. Pacific Club Two Building, Sukhumvit Rd. Open Pairs

what to do? expat women in bangkok:

there's the international womens club, but the contact numbers are in the below e-newsletter which i've thrown out.

there is also a farang women's e-newsletter for bangkok. interesting bits of what is going on in thailand. art exhibitions, dinners, get togethers, etc.

the bangkok womens writing club -->> http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/44/Writin...of_Bangkok.html

do a google as i'm sure there's the american women's club, the british women's club, alliance francaise, etc. [alliance is in the newsletter ...]

good luck. i'll post back here if i find anymore

cat

jim,

if you are still here ...

<<any other women's clubs would be great to hear about.

<<BNOW is a weekly e-mail network distributed to subscribers with a monthly get together that supports women Have questions? Something to announce/share? Got Suggestions? Want recommendations? Just moved to Bangkok? Looking for a supportive network or new outlet?

Culture shock, home sick & need to talk? Married with kids & outgoing? Single & professional, not a professional single? Thought coming here would be like an episode of Sex and the City?  Then you discovered youíre in the wrong city? Share the experience and make the most of it while youíre in the Big Mango.

http://www.geocities.com/bnow_th/BNOW.html

cat

jim,

if you are still here ...

<<any other women's clubs would be great to hear about.

<<BNOW is a weekly e-mail network distributed to subscribers with a monthly get together that supports women Have questions? Something to announce/share? Got Suggestions? Want recommendations? Just moved to Bangkok? Looking for a supportive network or new outlet?

Culture shock, home sick & need to talk? Married with kids & outgoing? Single & professional, not a professional single? Thought coming here would be like an episode of Sex and the City?  Then you discovered youíre in the wrong city? Share the experience and make the most of it while youíre in the Big Mango.

http://www.geocities.com/bnow_th/BNOW.html

cat

I have met the women of BNOW and have to say that each time it was good fun. :o

Your wife should definitely suscribe!

sego

Catat,

Thanks for your interest. Lots of good links and information. I had just about given up finding bridge in Bangkok. Did searches, but didn't seem to come up with anything useful. Obviously, I was searching with crumby words or maybe didn't look back far enough.

I will get my friend to sign on here. She might have some questions. I confess I'm not a bridge player, maybe she will teach me.

jim

jim,

sorry i'm so late getting back here, for some reason i'm not getting any email alerts for this forum ...

i myself was looking for a good long while before i found anything of use, so don't feel bad.

and if she can get you to take up bridge [fantastic game] perhaps we'll all meet at one of the clubs? [my husband is my partner in crime]

out here contract bridge is just 15 minutes away, so playing in bangkok is going to be a bit of an adjustment. [understatement]. we used to have a couple we'd play with on a week night to learn new pieces in our system. very handy when all the bells and whistles are changed weekly. this time it's precision [totally different from standard american] and i have under 3 months to learn it before 'opening night'.

and from sego's post, it was nice to hear the bnow gals are fun. i'm going to need people to touch down with when i arrive, as i'll have loads of questions :-)

cat

Catat, you can count me in........I am also a member of BNOW.......hence I do meet Sego once in a while.............she is FUN! Very pretty with nice eyes and blond hair..........a NON-arrogant person

wow,

Thank you, SK1977,

it will make my day happier! (and will probably become arrogant after so many compliments) :o

cheers

sego

hey Catat, I would add that SK is also a very nice personn with a lot of humour (ans so Tall for an asian woman!!!) :D

SK1972 - excellent. the closer my times gets, the more nervous i am about the major move of jumping into a city as big as bangkok. i'm used to much smaller places. houston was the largest i've ever lived in, and even so, it's just an overgrown cow town.

since most likely we'll meet, i'll have to fess up to being shy. sure, it's easy to chat online, but meeting real people? over the past 4+ years, so many people i've been friends with, worked with, or clients even, i've never met. i just live and work up here in the little room at the top of the stairs :-)

but i'm really looking forward to meeting someone in 'real' life. may these months fly by!

cat

hey Catat, I would add that SK is also a very nice personn with a lot of humour (ans so Tall for an asian woman!!!) :o

sego,

humour i can take all day. and yes i agree, i've read her posts and she reads really tall. lol! most likely taller than i am at 5' 4.

both of you, thanks for the heads up. i'm feeling much better all ready.

[is that my hands shaking? nahhh, it's the kitten on the keys again]

cat

Catat, dont worry.........we will pull you "out from your shell"/shyness. When we do meet, some of the girls and I, we are quite boisterous!! :D

Sego........dont get all big headed now ........ :D No revealing my height!!!

lol :D

I promise, SK, I will not reveal your height.... :o

Catat, I look forward to meet you, when do you plan your arrival?

And as we were talking about shyness, there is in Thailand a wonderful drink called "kamikhaze" that takes off all the inhibitions you may have.... and it works pretty well ! :D

SK1972- Catat, dont worry.........we will pull you "out from your shell"/shyness. When we do meet, some of the girls and I, we are quite boisterous!! :o

sego - Catat, I look forward to meet you, when do you plan your arrival?

And as we were talking about shyness, there is in Thailand a wonderful drink called "kamikhaze" that takes off all the inhibitions you may have.... and it works pretty well ! :D

SK1972 and sego,

this sounds like you two are loads of fun! i've never had a kamikhaze, but i've gotten in trouble with a long island ice tea or two. but you have to remember, that was years ago, before i moved to a country without alcohol. bangkok going to be an eyeopener and major lifestyle change for me. no more having to go over the border for chicken butts n beer. no more stamps taking up my passport. no more dress codes :-)

my arrival? my plane leaves here on the 30th of december. a strange time to be moving, i know.

cat

Blue Kamikaze recipe

1 oz Vodka

1 oz Blue Curacao

1 oz Lime Juice

Fill with Ice Cubes

Combine the Vodka, Blue Curacao, and Lime Juice in a glass with ice. Shake well, then pour through a strainer into a normal glass with ice in it. Makes 1 drink.

Serve in old-Fashioned Glass

---------Alcohol (ABV): 23% (46 proof)

[gulp] who's driving?

cat