Vietnamese Restaurant

ISPY

Near the HaYaek (please don't ask where the <deleted> is that) is one:

Taeng Mo, I think it's named

It's advertised all over town

but in Thai of course

so many must thank god or whatever powers that TV is here to keep them from needing to

adjust to where they've come to...

but in Thai of course

There are a number of signposts to Chiang Rai Beach in english too. (I live a stone's throw from it - can attest to that.)

but in Thai of course

There are a number of signposts to Chiang Rai Beach in english too. (I live a stone's throw from it - can attest to that.)

Still didn't found it.... :o

Once you pass the clock tower (at your right hand side) go through the lights, follow the road bending to the right, then take the first left. Stay on the road until a crossroad/lights at which there are large portraits of the king (on left corner) and his late mother (on right corner); turn right here. Stay on this road until you've no longer got the army camp fence on your right. The vietnamese restaurant is on th right a few hundred yards further (before entrance to a wat on the left).

I have yet to eat there myself. So please post your review.

I like VN food, it was the first traditional Asian food I tried. (Not counting sweet and sour chicken with fried rice).

Roast pork with white noodle salad, hot and sour seafood soup, cold shrimp spring rolls...

Fried crispy Vietnamese egg rolls done right are about as good as egg rolls get. :o

I like VN food, it was the first traditional Asian food I tried. (Not counting sweet and sour chicken with fried rice).

Roast pork with white noodle salad, hot and sour seafood soup, cold shrimp spring rolls...

Fried crispy Vietnamese egg rolls done right are about as good as egg rolls get. :o

That's what we call spring rolls in Australia. They sure are nice.

The "cold rolls" are the same principal but the wrapper is transparently thin and they are filled with salads, rice noodles and tiny shrimp then eaten raw with a dipping sauce. I used to make them myself once, there's a bit of a knack to getting the shape right.

RE_far033s.jpg

That's what we call spring rolls in Australia. They sure are nice.

The "cold rolls" are the same principal but the wrapper is transparently thin and they are filled with salads, rice noodles and tiny shrimp then eaten raw with a dipping sauce. I used to make them myself once, there's a bit of a knack to getting the shape right.

RE_far033s.jpg

Actually, I got mine in the US. I had a small metal shop in Anaheim, CA. Several workers were Vietnamese and we had a few "community lunches". The guys made egg rolls (or whatever they called them) at home. The ones I liked best were pretty small, maybe 2 cm diameter, open at the ends. They were stuffed with chopped veggies and some great sausage, and that paper thin wrapper. .. fried so perfecty that they were not oily at all.

dam_n, I'm hungry!!

taeng mo - ....methinks that's Thai for 'watermelon'

How about an Indian restaurant? I particularly like the kind with school cafeteria type trays - with compartments - which allow for 5 or 6 different dishes on the same tray. Second most populous country in the world, and not far away - you'd think there'd be at least one Indian place in Chiang Rai. ....and there are more than a few Indian descendent people residing here in C.Rai. I'd guess a couple thousand.

Once you pass the clock tower (at your right hand side) go through the lights, follow the road bending to the right, then take the first left. Stay on the road until a crossroad/lights at which there are large portraits of the king (on left corner) and his late mother (on right corner); turn right here. Stay on this road until you've no longer got the army camp fence on your right. The vietnamese restaurant is on th right a few hundred yards further (before entrance to a wat on the left).

I have yet to eat there myself. So please post your review.

:o Finally! We found it. I must say, it is not easy to find but.....it is worth it. We absolutely will be back at this place. Thanks everybody for helping me.