Sa-tor

dantilley

Hi,

Is there a common, definitive English term for those very pungent southern Thai beans which I can only say are called "sa-tor" or "stor", but that's just an approximation to what people seem to be calling them in Thai. Anyway, they come in what look like flattened broad bean pods, usually twisted slightly, and the beans themselves being about twice the size of broad beans. The pods are usually about 2 foot long. And in my opinion they taste absolutely rank by the way, but some people seem to like them...

If you know of the things I mean, what would these be called to someone who's never been to Thailand?

Thanks!

Sataw bean. It is from a leguminous tree, called Parkia Javanica. It apparently has no name in English so just call it sataw. :o

Can't eat them myself, always gives me stomach upset. Apparently a fairly common occurrence, even among Thai people, but the locals here love it and will eat them regardless of the stomach issues. I am not fond of bitter flavors but it is considered quite the treat down South.

"Stink bean", perhaps? :o

I found this:

Parkia speciosa Hassk. (Mansf)

SYNONYM(S) : Parkia roxburghii G. Don (Mansf), Parkia speciosa hort. ex Hassk.

BURMESE : Awaiting feedback.

ENGLISH : Petai bean, Twisted cluster bean, Stink bean.

JAPANESE : ネジレフサマメノ木 Nejire fusa mame no ki.

MALAY : Petai, Peteh (Java), Sindootan ? Patag (Borneo) ?. (Mansf)

TAGALOG : Kupang. (Mansf)

THAI : กะตอ Kato, ปะตา Pa ta, ปาไต Pa tai, ปัตเต๊าะ Pat to, สะตอ Sato (Satoo, Sator, Sataw), To dan, To kkhao.

http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Parkia.html

"Stink bean", perhaps? :o

I found this:

ENGLISH : Petai bean, Twisted cluster bean, Stink bean.

THAI : กะตอ Kato, ปะตา Pa ta, ปาไต Pa tai, ปัตเต๊าะ Pat to, สะตอ Sato (Satoo, Sator, Sataw), To dan, To kkhao.

"Stink bean" is precisely the name my GF told me. They have a unique flavor, and there's a street restaurant on Sam Sen Soi 2 called Jok Pochana that has a great dish with these beans and shrimp.

We've wondered whether the name stink bean is derived from the bean in its native state, or what it produces after being consumed by humans....

:D

We have 3 trees on the land. One is just flowering now. They seem to flower at different times. We used to have 4 trees, but my wife tied a piece of cloth around one in a blessing. That tree died,so I told her to leave the other 3 alone. :o I like them, eat them both raw and cooked, I lke the peppery taste they have. They do make your breath smell though.

We've wondered whether the name stink bean is derived from the bean in its native state, or what it produces after being consumed by humans....

Yes, could easily be the latter!

Wikipedia seems to concur with the Stink Bean name.

"Petai beans or seeds look like broad beans. Petai has earned its nickname 'stink bean' because its strong smell is very pervasive. Like mature broad beans, they may have to be peeled before cooking. It lingers in the mouth and body. Like asparagus, it contains certain amino acids that give a strong smell to ones urine, an effect that can be noticed up to two days after consumption. Like other beans, their complex carbohydrates can also cause strong-smelling flatulence." :o