Travel Directions

Hey all you seasoned drivers,,,,,,,,,,,,,I will be taking an excursion with my wife to her home in Lamphun via a brothers place in Pitsanulok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very soon.

One night stay in Pit,,,,,,then up to Lamphun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have several maps and I have been as as far as the Highway 1 and 2 junctions north of BKK a few times but no farther north,,,,also to Khorat,,,,,,,does anyone have a recommended route to take to Pitsanulok and then to Lamphun?

I was looking at going up the outer ring road number 9 ( coming from Pattaya by the way) to highway 32 up to 11 and follow 11 to Pitsanulok,,,,,,,,,then using 11 all the way to Lamphun,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Can anyone tell me a better route either because of road conditions or construction issues?

Thanks

PK

One night in Pitsanulok
Was that the title of a song once?
...then up to Lamphun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have several maps and I have been as as far as the Highway 1 and 2 junctions north of BKK a few times but no farther north,,,,also to Khorat,,,,,,,does anyone have a recommended route to take to Pitsanulok and then to Lamphun?
Unless you want to go sightseeing elsewhere in Thailand, the route for you is very simple from Pattaya: Hwy 7, Hwy 9. Then 32/11 as you say. However Hwy 11 is not as fast as Hwy 1 due the scenic countryside - bumpy bits if memory serves correctly.

Consider taking Hwy 1 to Tak then going cross country East through Sukhothai (Sightseeing?) - but it's probably similar distance vs time each way.

Can anyone tell me a better route either because of road conditions or construction issues?
Sorry I can't give up to date traffic info I was last up that way Christmas '06 Edited by Cuban

Hey all you seasoned drivers,,,,,,,,,,,,,I will be taking an excursion with my wife to her home in Lamphun via a brothers place in Pitsanulok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very soon.

One night stay in Pit,,,,,,then up to Lamphun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have several maps and I have been as as far as the Highway 1 and 2 junctions north of BKK a few times but no farther north,,,,also to Khorat,,,,,,,does anyone have a recommended route to take to Pitsanulok and then to Lamphun?

I was looking at going up the outer ring road number 9 ( coming from Pattaya by the way) to highway 32 up to 11 and follow 11 to Pitsanulok,,,,,,,,,then using 11 all the way to Lamphun,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks

PK

The road from Phitsanulok to Uttaradit (route 11) is amazingly good. But from Uttaradit you head into the mountains on your way to Lampang.

That section of road isnt recommended at night / bad weather. Not that it daunts the truck drivers and buses that use it.

Its a major road - and the terrain quite something to see - with its winding uphill road which is busy - and not always with the best road surface. Be prepared to sit behind slower vehicles on single lane road. From Lampang, you are back to being on major highway.

Thanks

PK

I go this route very often as my wife's family lives up near Phrae. The trip direct from Pattaya takes anywhere from 7 to 9 hours depending on how heavy your driving boots are! The fact that you will be stopping in Pitsanulok for a night will be an added advantage, as crossing the mountains between Uttaradit & Denchai then again near Lamphun when your tired can be scary, so starting fresh from there will be safer. There is another route to Pitsanulok via Phetchabun but its about the same in distance and often busier due to it being closer to Isaan.

Enjoy the trip, especially through the moutains, some great views and road side markets for the wife to fill the boot!

Thanks for the info on what I guessed would be the correct route,,,,,,,,,,I also talked with a friend that comes from Lamphun,,,,,,,,,,,,she gave me the best roads to get from Pitsanulok over and up to Lamphun,,,,,,,,,,as she has driven that way many times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,from Pattaya to Pitsanulok should be an easy drive with the needed pit stops and food stops,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks for the help

PK

Edited by longball53098