Shipping Personal Possessions

Murgatroyd

Hello all,

I will be coming over to live in Thailand... I hope to arrive sometime in early April with a 1 year multiple entry O/A visa, and will apply for a full retirement visa within 90 days of arrival... I qualify on all counts as far as I can see.

I will be looking to ship a fair quantity of personal possessions from the UK to Thailand, so that they arrive within 6 months of my arrival, ( so as to qualify for the tax-free importation deal )

Does anyone know of a reliable, insured, door to door shipping agent?

What sort of costs are involved?

Do they charge by weight or cubic, or some combination of the two?

How should the stuff be packed?

Has anyone done this before?

I will be shipping clothing, shoes, a desktop computer and periferals, books, and this sort of thing... definately no "medicines", firearms, or anything that customs could object to...

I would really appreciate any advice or anecdotes.

[Mods/Admin : - if this is in the wrong section, or if there is already a thread on this, sorry to be a pain... I'm new here. I also apologise for my spelling]

Thanks

Murgatroyd

Hello all,

I will be coming over to live in Thailand... I hope to arrive sometime in early April with a 1 year multiple entry O/A visa, and will apply for a full retirement visa within 90 days of arrival... I qualify on all counts as far as I can see.

I will be looking to ship a fair quantity of personal possessions from the UK to Thailand, so that they arrive within 6 months of my arrival, ( so as to qualify for the tax-free importation deal )

Does anyone know of a reliable, insured, door to door shipping agent?

What sort of costs are involved?

Do they charge by weight or cubic, or some combination of the two?

How should the stuff be packed?

Has anyone done this before?

I will be shipping clothing, shoes, a desktop computer and periferals, books, and this sort of thing... definately no "medicines", firearms, or anything that customs could object to...

I would really appreciate any advice or anecdotes.

[Mods/Admin : - if this is in the wrong section, or if there is already a thread on this, sorry to be a pain... I'm new here. I also apologise for my spelling]

Thanks

Murgatroyd

Have a look at http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/ . Their prices seem competative and they deliver door to door. I know of a few people who were satisfied with them and a friend of mine who's moving here next week is using them to ship items very similar to yours. They deliver empty boxes to your home in the UK, collect them when packed and deliver them to your home in Thailand. Delivery takes about eight weeks and they assured my friend ALL costs were covered in the price they quote you, unlike when I had my items (similar to yours) delivered door to port and it cost me another 11000 baht tea money and delivery costs to get them out of the port and to my house 65 km away.

Whoever you use I would always have them delivered 'door to door' and not 'door to port', don't get stung like I did.

I also used seven seas and they were fine. They use one of the biggest (most advertised) local agents here in BKK. Like Sumrit, I also cleared Customs myself here (Door-to-Port Shipment).

So you can do it yourself, but it's a hassle (If you think the One-Stop-Visa shop is a runaround, this will make your head spin). I did it twice and both times used one of the guy's hanging around the Port/Customs area (a fixer). The Customs Inspector for Clearance was OK actually. It was a senior officer, a Captain or the like, who spoke really good English and didn't ask for a bribe - nor slow things down unduly. However as I missed the 6 months deadline, I did have to pay duty.

I also would recommend Door-to-Door service. Make sure it's insured too..Happy retirement.

TG2

sumrit, thaigene2,

Thanks very much for your advice... just what I needed to know...

I'm currently doing a ruthless cull of my personal posessions... but there's still going to be a shedload of stuff that I will want to keep... I can't throw my entire life away...

Much appreciated

Murg :o

My understanding is that you have 6 months after you enter Thailand on a full years retirement visa to ship your household goods into the country. You must have a full years visa, and the goods must arrive in Thailand within 6 months of the day you first enter on that Visa, (Not a subsequent entry after a visa run)...

If you don't have a full years visa, or if your goods arrive after the 6 month period elapses, you are liable for 20% import duty, + 7% VAT.

I'm told that the 6 month period can be somewhat elastic, and if your goods are delayed, then inform customs at least 2 months before the 6 month period expires... (I imagine some small token of esteem wouldn't hurt at that stage :o )

This information is from "Retiring in Thailand" by Philip Bryce, and Sunisa Wongdee Terlecky, published by Paiboon publishing (Page 97 of my copy)

I am awaiting recipt of "Thai law for Foreigners" also published by Paiboon publishing, which I hope will go into more detail, and give the exact appropriate legislation. I'll add that information to this thread if/when I recieve it.

Murg

Retirement does not give you tax free importation.

Any good company will know how to pack for shipping overseas.

Shipping by sea is by volume.

Check with the Thai agent for the cost of clearing, say half a 20ft container

of household goods. They will know the going rates

I paid $2000, but that was over 10 years ago.

Do you really need to bring all those items?

It may be cheaper to:

1. Bring the books in an extra suitcase and pay the excess baggage.

2. The same applies to the clothes. Remember clothes from back home may not be

suitable in Thailand..

3. Bring the hard disk with your data and buy a new computer when you arrive.

I arrived in April of last year on a one year non immigrant 'O' visa. My posessions arrived about eight weeks later. I got a bill for 15,000 baht import tax. When I protested and told them about the 6 month rule, they told me I could only avoid the tax if I had a work permit.

I told them that I didn't intend working, and I was able to give them a permanent address in Thailand, but there was no backing down. So I ended the day 15,000 baht lighter in pocket and very pi55ed off.

thanks for the info murg.

Does anyone know if a similar rule is aplicable to a 1 year educutional visa. My 2 sons aged 12 and 14 are coming out in april and they have heaps of teanage <deleted> that they want to bring with them :o

Do Hull Monkeys ever go to Hartlepool?

Cheers

Thanks for the info guys... shows how wrong the books can be.

I'll check the situation with the Thai consulate in Hull when I go up for my Visa...

With a bit of luck, they'll have the last word... but doubtless I'll still wind up paying a fortune...

When I say books... i'm talking about 1000 books, hardback and paperback... so excess baggage isn't an option...

Murg

I'll check the situation with the Thai consulate in Hull when I go up for my Visa...

With a bit of luck, they'll have the last word... but doubtless I'll still wind up paying a fortune...

When I say books... i'm talking about 1000 books, hardback and paperback... so excess baggage isn't an option...

Murg

Sorry to disappoint you Murg, but I think you will find that Thai Customs will have the last word :o

Welcome to Thailand mate, I hope the move goes smoothly.

I arrived in April of last year on a one year non immigrant 'O' visa. My posessions arrived about eight weeks later. I got a bill for 15,000 baht import tax. When I protested and told them about the 6 month rule, they told me I could only avoid the tax if I had a work permit.

I told them that I didn't intend working, and I was able to give them a permanent address in Thailand, but there was no backing down. So I ended the day 15,000 baht lighter in pocket and very pi55ed off.

Thai Customs/Duty is perhaps the most corrupt of all Thai Gov. agencies.

Even though the law states one thing, the thugs at Customs will find any excuse to charge a bit more before your stuff clears.

If you resist, the fees go up, they jerk you around, hold onto your belongings and charge you storage too.

I used BAX Global on recent shipments and they couldnt even provide a receipt for the under the table payments to Thai Customs.

If you use a professional shipper/handler, it may be lesss painfull as they have a "relationship" with some scumbag at Thai Customs already.

Murg

you will not if you use a renowned shipping/clearing agent. i paid peanuts bringing in a 40foot high cube container in 2005 stuffed with 60m3 of belongings.

edited for addendum: customs didn't even open the container!

Edited by Naam

Reading the Thai customs web page more thoroughly yesterday it states that to qualify for not paying import duties the foreigner must have documentary proof of having received permission to work or reside in Thailand for not less than one year. Whilst a multi entry 'O' visa is valid for one year it only allows you to stay in Thailand for a maximum of 90 days before having to leave the country. It just allows you to come back again straight away, but it doesn't allow you to stay permanently for one year. Although it wasn't explained to me at the time (by the agent handling my possesions) it's obvious now why I was charged import duties when I thought everything should be duty free.

I'm using Maersk to handle the shipment from Bangkok pier onwards. A list of contents of the container is required. I guess that this is what customs use to "calculate" the duty payable.

Anyone got any advice on how detailed the list has to be, and how to make the list to get the "best deal" regarding duty appraisal? Maybe there's no way round it given that they may open the container.

I'm using Maersk to handle the shipment from Bangkok pier onwards. A list of contents of the container is required. I guess that this is what customs use to "calculate" the duty payable.

Anyone got any advice on how detailed the list has to be, and how to make the list to get the "best deal" regarding duty appraisal? Maybe there's no way round it given that they may open the container.

It should accurately describe the contents.

Deliberately omitting items is otherwise described as smuggling.

Cheers

It should accurately describe the contents.

Deliberately omitting items is otherwise described as smuggling.

Cheers

I'm not talking about omissions, I was thinking along the lines of:

a) 1x 42inch LCD TV - serial No.123456 - used

as against...

B) 1x Daewoo DLT42C1 - serial No.123456 - used

Same item, different description, both correct, both accurately describing contents.

Does anyone know if a similar rule is aplicable to a 1 year educutional visa. My 2 sons aged 12 and 14 are coming out in april and they have heaps of teanage <deleted> that they want to bring with them :o

No allowances at all.

:D well I suppose most of the teenage <deleted> will have to stay in the UK then..or sold on ebay. Thanks for the info PP

Do Hull Monkeys ever go to Hartlepool?

Cheers

They do but they always leave theie beret's at home and avoid eating garlic.

Murg

I shipped approx 1,000 books and a few other small bits and pieces from the UK on an non imm 0 visa, a year or so back. I used cargobookers.co.uk to ship them to the port in Bangkok and then schenker in Chiang Mai to get the goods through customs and to send them up north. Customs didn't even open the boxes and charged me around 1,000 baht for customs charges.

Last year I did the same again but this time with a work visa, again the same 1,000baht charges and the boxes untouched.

As far as I'm aware there is no duty on used books

• 3 weeks later...
Retirement does not give you tax free importation.

Any good company will know how to pack for shipping overseas.

Shipping by sea is by volume.

Check with the Thai agent for the cost of clearing, say half a 20ft container

of household goods. They will know the going rates

I paid $2000, but that was over 10 years ago.

Do you really need to bring all those items?

It may be cheaper to:

1. Bring the books in an extra suitcase and pay the excess baggage.

2. The same applies to the clothes. Remember clothes from back home may not be

suitable in Thailand..

3. Bring the hard disk with your data and buy a new computer when you arrive.

I'd really appreciate advice about what to bring, as regards Computers, TV, Play station, DVD player etc. I'm wondering whether it would be easier and maybe even cheaper to ditch mine and buy new stuff there. I've heard that DVDs that I buy there won't work on my machine anyway...does the same apply to CD Roms and other computer stuff?

This probably is various obvious but I'm not very technically minded. The computer will be important to my business though and the rest important to my children.

thanks for any tips

a neighbour of mine shipped over a container of belongings when they retired over here last year. As far as I know they didnt pay any excess charges as you are allowed the 6 months after you receive a retirement visa. However I was told that the trick is to take a good lawyer with you when you visit the port. Of course that costs money but not nearly as much.

I used Asian Tigers (aka Transpo Intl) to ship belongings from the US to eastern Isaan, door to door. I shipped a Plywood crate 7 ft x 4 ft x 7 ft. They quoted about $2200 IIRC for 1000 lbs, I think, and IIRC about $200 for each additional 100 lbs or part thereof. Mine weighed in at 968 lbs & I constantly wish I had added 41 more lbs of stuff. I only packed personal items which can not be replaced here, family photos, paintings done by my mother, hand made quilts done by grandmother & aunts, record collection with turn table (try finding one of those here) about a three hundred CD's, tax records (we still have to deal with our Uncle Sam & Aunt Iris, you know) as well as my huge leather easy chair & 3 tier tool box with as many tools as I could get it. I left 3/4 of them in the US.

If I had it to do again, I would include my drip coffee maker (cant find one in Isaan...I know, "you have to go to Bangkok for that") stereo with Klipsch speakers, chain saw & weedwacker and additional tools. Tools here are poor quality.

Their US partner would not let me pack my own boxes. They packed everything & made sure there was no contraband or prohibited items. I left for LOS 10 days later. 7 weeks after the crate left my US home, they e-mailed me & said ship would hit port next week. I wanted to pay by credit card, but they wanted Baht transfered into their account. Actually easier & better than credit card payment. I had to EMS my passport to them which I was reluctant to do, however, they had to have the original, not a copy, for customs. Not 1 bhat of duty or tea money...AMAZING!!! My passport came with the delivery truck so no problems. My things arrived in a covered pickup the next week, right on schedule. Not one box was opened...again AMAZED!!!

All went as described & planned. I would recommend them to anyone. Google Asian Tigers for their website.

Forgot to mention, I had retirement visa, 1 year O-A, prior to leaving the US.

Edited by Tagaa

I had shipped 4 tea cases over from England trying to get them to Chiang Mai, 5 years ago.

It was a nightmare because I was very naive and messed up big time. Lucky my brother in law is a Thai lawyer and got me out of a big jam.

I learned from my mistakes and here is the benefit of my experience:

Firstly UK shipping companies will only take stuff as far as the port in Bangkok. If you want to continue on to any other destination within Thailand, you must arrange for the cases to be picked up by another carrier company in Thailand, preferable one based in the destination where you want the goods delivered.

Use a Thai name from the very beginning with the UK company. If you declare the goods in a Farang name, you will be stung for a huge amount of Import tax, to be paid before you can retrieve your goods from the Bangkok port. They will be held for ransom until you pay.

If you bring new electrical items over, you will be charged import tax at a huge percent. Try and bring only your used electrical goods and one of each, you will again have to pay import tax on more than one item that the officials think you don't need. If you do try and bring in new electrical items, take off any wrapping and put on old plugs so they appear used.

When you hire your carrier in Thailand to collect the goods from port, don't tell them you have a computer, otherwise they will try and con you for more money. The Thai carrier will not open the cases and have no right to because the cases would have already been cleared by customs in Bangkok.

The UK company charges by cubic space and not weight, but if the cases are considered too heavy, they will refuse to take them. The customs in Bangkok charge import tax by the value of the goods, but mostly waver this tax or charge a minimum for Thai people.

As for packing, wrap drinking glasses and crockery in newspaper. Put fragile items in with your good blankets or clothes so that they are buffered. This way you are not wasting any space on excess padding as your clothes are excellent buffers and will protect your fragile items when the cases are throw about by the carriers, which they will be.

And finally as in my case, the carrier company in Chiang Mai later refused to bring up my cases from a depot in Bangkok until their truck was full, meaning I had to wait until other customers were also bringing their goods up here and the truck was full. My brother in law went down to the depot, saw one of my carrier's trucks ready to depart Bangkok empty after a delivery from Chiang Mai, offered the driver 600 baht to take my gear and it worked.

Edited by distortedlink