Penang Tourist Visa Situation

What is the best way to get from Phuket to Vientiane? Are there direct flights? Also when staying in Vientiane what to do? Can some visa runners please give me some tips?

Fly to Bangkok, another flight to Udon Thanni then a 1 hour bus or taxi to the border.

Or get a bus from Phuket.

You can drink some decent beer rather than the rubbish we get in Thailand.

Why am I not surprised?

Bangkok is full of Randy Whites - I'm just one unfortunate that hasn't read this forum since booking his flight. Please read on...

I have an AirAsia ticket to fly to Penang EARLY TOMORROW MORNING 2/3/08 which is also the day my second tourist visa from Penang runs out i.e. two 60 day visas and two 30 day extensions at 1,900 baht each. So I will start collecting overstay fines at 500 baht per day if I leave a day later.

What to do? Unless anyone out there can provide a convincing update on the Vientianne situation I will be staying with the brothers at the Pin Seng Hotel in Love Lane as I have for years and hope that the situation has eased somewhat. Anyway, as I am flying back direct to Bangkok on Wed. 5/3/08, this should improve my chances of at least a 30-day visa at Suwannaphum. Of course, if there is a delay in penang, the nice people at AirAsia will charge to change the flight.

So I hope someone is out there and able to provide some practical advice.

RAW in Chatuchak.

Why am I not surprised?

Bangkok is full of Randy Whites - I'm just one unfortunate that hasn't read this forum since booking his flight. Please read on...

I have an AirAsia ticket to fly to Penang EARLY TOMORROW MORNING 2/3/08 which is also the day my second tourist visa from Penang runs out i.e. two 60 day visas and two 30 day extensions at 1,900 baht each. So I will start collecting overstay fines at 500 baht per day if I leave a day later.

What to do? Unless anyone out there can provide a convincing update on the Vientianne situation I will be staying with the brothers at the Pin Seng Hotel in Love Lane as I have for years and hope that the situation has eased somewhat. Anyway, as I am flying back direct to Bangkok on Wed. 5/3/08, this should improve my chances of at least a 30-day visa at Suwannaphum. Of course, if there is a delay in penang, the nice people at AirAsia will charge to change the flight.

RAW in Chatuchak.

Hard to believe. Six months in Thailand and you ain't learnt the visa ropes. :o Based on your story you should get a thirty day stay on a visa exemption if another tourist visa is declined. Don't blame AirAsia; you alone have cut it fine in the extreme.

Definately go to Vientianne. If you do not have a valid ticket or e-ticket out of Thailand, you can pretty much forget about getting one in Penang.

Also, Air Asia will only change (for a fee) a flight up to 48 hours before a flight, after that, no changes. So by the time you realize there is a problem in Penang, it will be to close to your flight to change it and you will need to rebook another flight.

Why am I not surprised?

RAW in Chatuchak.

If I was in your shoes, I'd just forget about the ticket to Penang and go straight to Vientiane. Overall it'll save you money even taking into consideration the loss of the ticket. AirAsia have an afternoon flight to Udon Thani so it's not too late to book, but being less than 24 hours to your departure you'll have to purchase a ticket at an AirAsia sales counter or sales office.

Alternatively you could take land transport to save some money.

• 2 months later...

jst as an update if you searched for this!

this is a post on another thread, sounds quite positive but only 1 report at moment!

"QUOTE (PoorSucker @ 2008-05-05 14:38:57) *

<br />Don't go to Penang, closest consulate from Koh Phangan.<br />They require flight ticket to your home country.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

this is not true anymore, i was there for non-B with other people that were there for tourist visa, exept the application form, copy of passeport and pictures nothing else was required for tourist visa, i saw them back two days later with their visa."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1965475

if you are reading this and you have recently been to pennang can you verify this also or different!

please add what visa you got, and entrys etc and if you were indeed asked for on ward journy/flight ticket/ hotel room in thailand!

Many thanks chris

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a confirmation coming from another person than me, you could just mail a penang agent and the bananaguesthouse as they both process visa.

here are their mails :

agent NJ : njbookcentre(at)hotmail.com

njbookscentre(at)hotmail.com

banana guest house : info(at)banananewguesthouse.com

both are located in chulia street

Is it possible Penang could be back in as a possible TV destination with little or no probs?

Perhaps for first applicants because they are still giving out red warning stamps going by the most recent report.

<br />
Is it possible Penang could be back in as a possible TV destination with little or no probs?
<br /><br />Perhaps for first applicants because they are still giving out red warning stamps going by the most recent report. <br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

the guy i was talking about is getting tourists visa since a long time in penang and last time he had no warning stamp.

lopburi3 maybe you should contact the two visa agents i gave the mail adress and post their response about the actual situation, as you're an admin

• 2 weeks later...
<br />
<br /><br />Perhaps for first applicants because they are still giving out red warning stamps going by the most recent report. <br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

the guy i was talking about is getting tourists visa since a long time in penang and last time he had no warning stamp.

lopburi3 maybe you should contact the two visa agents i gave the mail adress and post their response about the actual situation, as you're an admin

When was the last time he got a tourist visa in Penang?

I got my first TV from Penang end of last year, since then I've used waivers until 7th April when I went back to Penang to get my second TV from there. Went to banana, they filled out the form for me, I paid in advance, came back the next day all stamped and ready and it cost me 20 ringit in fees. I think it's firstly a lot easier this way (a taxi to and back from the embassy would cost 20 RM and I don't intend to spend hours waiting in line) plus I'm sure the cafe have an 'agreement' with the embassy that helps.

Anyway, the point being I got my TV without any problems, several other people were there at the same time and got theirs, the agent said there would not be a problem and did not require any more documentation than the me signing the form and handing him a couple photos.

I got my first TV from Penang end of last year, since then I've used waivers until 7th April when I went back to Penang to get my second TV from there. Went to banana, they filled out the form for me, I paid in advance, came back the next day all stamped and ready and it cost me 20 ringit in fees. I think it's firstly a lot easier this way (a taxi to and back from the embassy would cost 20 RM and I don't intend to spend hours waiting in line) plus I'm sure the cafe have an 'agreement' with the embassy that helps.

Anyway, the point being I got my TV without any problems, several other people were there at the same time and got theirs, the agent said there would not be a problem and did not require any more documentation than the me signing the form and handing him a couple photos.

Thanks simey,

that could mean back to normal, would be a good sign for the southern expat's I guess :D Who want to buy a ticket every year to go somewhere, I mean like very far if not neccesary, what a stress :o and what a waist of money

ham

that could mean back to normal, would be a good sign for the southern expat's I guess :D Who want to buy a ticket every year to go somewhere, I mean like very far if not neccesary, what a stress :o and what a waist of money

ham

The big question still remains unanswered.

Last year they were giving a warning stamp for anyone who was going for their 3rd tourist visa irrespective of when or where they were issued in the past.

Are they still stamping passports with "don't come back" or "you may not get a tourist visa next time"?

Penang has a new consulate and is 100% back to normal no problems no worries no red stamps A-OK!

just replying to this directly as it might email you to reply.

"I suspect you mean Penang has a new Consul rather than Consulate?" lopburi3

i will presume that means person rather than building????? and if not, so has it moved ? if so, how do you know, not bieng funny, just like to know, also you say "100% back to normal no problems no worries no red stamps A-OK!" again how do you know this and again not bieng funny but people could travel a long way on this information.

cheers

chris

• 2 weeks later...
Yes! New consul (person)

Single entry only!

OK, so you think it's back to how it was this time last year...but are you sure?

You said they don't give out red warning stamps for consecutive tourist visas but how can you be sure of this? Did you get this info from the visa agents?

Edited by tropo

• 3 months later...