Excellent Business Opportunity In Thailand

First I would like to say that I am not selling anything and am not looking for any money. I merely have an idea that someone could run with.

I would however, not say no, to managing such a business if someone want's to build it, and own it.

I am talking about opening a Retirement Home for Expats only in Thailand. Many times we hear of the retired person that is left with nowhere to go and not enough money to even go to his country of origin and live there, yet in Thailand in a retirement community, such as I propose, 0he would be an welcome addition bringin ample financial resources with him.

Services would included a small medical staff, normal nursing staff to care for the guests needing more help, a private room and large bath for every guest with television, broadband and phone. Meals and all services would be provided as part of the package. There would be exercise classes, a pool, tours to various locations and other recreational activity. Those able to move without help could of ocurse go out and hit the town whenever they wanted.

In other words top of the line service to include transport and assistance with Visas and every othe type of service the guest may need and want.

The facility is envisoned to house up to a hundred but would start with a small wing for 50 or less guests. Think about those numbers!!!!!

I did read in this week's Pattaya News that there is a Swiss guy who runs a home for farang with Alzeimers (sorry can't spell...). Apparently his mother suffers from this ailment and he brought her to Thailand to rest. This worked so well that he has opened a rest home for similar, elderly patients.

There's another one in Pattaya targeted at Scandinavians I read about somewhere.

and Simon, it's Alzheimers...(forgot your pills? I left mine right next to the...??) :D

That's correct.

It's a swedish company that has built a whole "hotel" for retired expats.

That includes allso nursery care, and other facilities......and the price.....well, its scandinavian prices.... :o:D

Very good idea.

Only obsticles would be the immigration laws and visa runs. Especially if they were very old or poorly.

I'm sure it would work out cheaper than a Tilak taking care of you, especially with all the Thai family to support.

Constructively, though, they would need enough money to last them out, otherwise they would be out, right?

Very good idea.

Only obsticles would be the immigration laws and visa runs. Especially if they were very old or poorly.

I'm sure it would work out cheaper than a Tilak taking care of you, especially with all the Thai family to support.

Constructively, though, they would need enough money to last them out, otherwise they would be out, right?

medicinebox.....where did you find that bottle with chang?

1. NOONE would even consider a home like this for their elder if they are poor.

2. Read the immigration rules about riterement visa.

3. This is normal all over spain for scandinavian elder expats.

4. "Enough money to last them out" :o ... i didn't quite got that one, but in scandinavia there are govnts. that pay's retirement funds to all elders, based on their income through life....and quite often , they sure have some life savings too.

Yes It´s true about the village for scandinavians in Chonburi. Here is the link: http://www.scandinavianvillage.com/Pages/frame.html Scroll down and look to the right to wiew it in english.

But what I heard they have hard to sell the appartments (who you also after the purchase have to pay rent for). Okej it´s kind of new place but a few months ago I heard that they had only sold around 10% of the appartments.

I also heard that they have some simular place for elder Japanise people in Chiang Mai.

//J_Max

Yes It´s true about the village for scandinavians in Chonburi. Here is the link: http://www.scandinavianvillage.com/Pages/frame.html Scroll down and look to the right to wiew it in english.

But what I heard they have hard to sell the appartments (who you also after the purchase have to pay rent for). Okej it´s kind of new place but a few months ago I heard that they had only sold around 10% of the appartments.

I also heard that they have some simular place for elder Japanise people in Chiang Mai.

//J_Max

This is correct.

- The rent is normal in scandinavia....you pay for the maintanance, and other facilities.

-The price on this apartments is waaaay to high.

-They've looked for brokers in norway allready, cuz sweden aint big enough market.

-If anybody here could do the same.....and come up with half the price of this one, you probebly would be a wealthy man (or lady).

-If anybody here could do the same.....and come up with half the price of this one, you probebly would be a wealthy man (or lady).

Actually I think that it could be offered for $900USD a month, with everything included, except alcohol, which is incidentally barely halfway over the of the Retirement Visa requirement of 800,000 Baht per year. Based on 50 guest, a very substantial income could be derived. The break even would come about in 36 months.

The better the care would, the longer the retirees would live and subsequently pay for the Retirement Village.

I played with the figures. If anyone is actually interested in the figures email me at [email protected] and I will send you a PDF file with hypothetical figures.

This is actually a splendid idea, and i would do it myself, if i got the resources, but unfortunatelly, i dont.

There are allso more opportunities down the same alley. Thai gvt. has allready started , but only in asia.....i would love to start it when i get enough resources.

:o

Looks like I came over you not clearly.

medicinebox.....where did you find that bottle with chang?
No chang where I am friend.
1. NOONE would even consider a home like this for their elder if they are poor.

Poorly means ill. Sick. Unwell.

2. Read the immigration rules about riterement visa.
I was referring to the retirement age of 65 in the UK rather than the Thai Retirement visa.
3. This is normal all over spain for scandinavian elder expats.

And how expensive is Spain in relation to Thailand. How much further would your pension go?

4. "Enough money to last them out"  ... i didn't quite got that one, but in scandinavia there are govnts. that pay's retirement funds to all elders, based on their income through life....and quite often , they sure have some life savings too.

Meaning, they would need the minimum amount in the bank or income or both. It would have to be all inclusive. What if they overspent their allowance or got taken for a ride from a nice young lady. There would have to be some garauntee's put in place.

Many times we hear of the retired person that is left with nowhere to go and not enough money to even go to his country of origin and live there, yet in Thailand in a retirement community, such as I propose, 0he would be an welcome addition bringin ample financial resources with him.

How so? The UK embassy would provide the return to the UK and their social would make sure you had a roof over your head and food in your belly. These retired people who say they can't get back to the mother country are either shady or blathering.

4. "Enough money to last them out"  ... i didn't quite got that one, but in scandinavia there are govnts. that pay's retirement funds to all elders, based on their income through life....and quite often , they sure have some life savings too. 

Meaning, they would need the minimum amount in the bank or income or both. It would have to be all inclusive. What if they overspent their allowance or got taken for a ride from a nice young lady. There would have to be some garauntee's put in place.

We are actually talking 'bout ppl who still has their own mind....

Not 90 years old alzheimer paciants.

dickie.....

get a life!

Grow into it.

and learn of it.

...am investigating resources (thai/farang partners) for similar project and hope to succeed sometime near future.

What makes me think a bit pessimistic is not the money necessary to be invested but the patients (50+) facing the thai climate/humidity

That is in fact a huge difference to retirement/nurse care - holiday homes already existing in southern europe (and - btw - making unbelievable high profit)...

dickie.....

get a life!

Grow into it.

and learn of it.

I'm deeply touched. All I've said is true, the UK embassy WILL help any Brit who's stuck abroad. If you know differently then please enlighten us with your obviously boundless knowledge, else lay off the insults.

We are actually talking 'bout ppl who still has their own mind....

Not 90 years old alzheimer paciants.

dickie.....

get a life!

Grow into it.

and learn of it.

People who still have their own minds would find some suitable accomodation and get on with it.

Isn't a home as in this context, for people who need special care. Not just BG cooking and cleaning?

Anyway, idea's should welcome critisism, as long as it's constructive. :o

Without seeing the figures, it makes sense that a 60-something Western retiree, with a pension of more than 80,000 baht per month, would see the difference in costs for retirement homes.

The retirement scene in Florida is very expensive as you get older, because most of the costs are related to labor, which is many times greater than labor or construction labor costs in Thailand.

I think that my mother had to pay US$25,000 for a little apartment that had all kinds of full services, and that guaranteed her full care for life. They moved her into their "hospital" when she got cancer. But she paid something like $1,400 per month to live there (maintenance fees and 3 meals per day). You could do all that in Thailand for a fraction.

...am investigating resources (thai/farang partners) for similar project and hope to succeed sometime near future.

What makes me think a bit pessimistic is not the money necessary to be invested but the patients (50+) facing the thai climate/humidity

That is in fact a huge difference to retirement/nurse care - holiday homes already existing in southern europe (and - btw - making unbelievable high profit)...

Well, high heat and humidity didn't stop the state of Florida from becoming a retirement mecca. South Texas and other places, also (although Arizona is extremely hot and dry). Air conditioning solves all that. And the warm winters should convince lots of people north of the 35th parallel to "come on down!"

But if you're trying to market the retirement homes to Europeans who don't know how to battle heat and humidity, that's a real problem, especially if they've never been to Thailand.

I can only answer you're question based on ppl i has been in contact with, and have been talking too.

I have been talking to some retires from scandinavia (60+) who have their own house in los, and is fine with that.

They do have many friends back home that wish to come and stay in los, as it is a better alternative than spain nowadays, based on living cost, and house prices.

Most of elder ppl actually handle the climate here much better than younger ppl. I know why, but i dont know the medical terms in english (sorry).

The swedish complex down in pattaya is actually not having a boom start, thats simply because they operate with prizes similar to spain.

With lower "buy in sum", and a fair monthly rent, i think places like this is a gold mine.

Dickie: I might been some hush in my writing on friday....my fault, but my friend, sang som/coke helped me out allso....

My brains function after 12 on friday, was less than 0.3%....so, dont be offended... :o:D

I know that some retirement homes in NZ work like this.the retiree buys his/her unit on the property.This unit is sold for approx half its "retail" value.the retiree then pays a very resonable monthly fee, covering meals,powr , medical etc.

The catch is, when the retiree finally kicks it, the units ownership then reverts back to the complex owner who then "sells" it again.

The work on a numbers game....some people go on for years..some shuffle off really quickly.

Up north in Thailand would be perfect..not too hot, cost of medical treatment is cheap and staff are cheap.