Easy Enough For Farang Like Us To Drive Around Thailand?

TaraLotus

Hi everyone,

We're off to Thailand early April for a 9 day trip and would like to know if you think it's easy enough for two Aussies to drive around Thailand a little when we've never been there before?

We plan to fly into Phuket and drive up the coast, staying at Ko Lanta for a time (it looks lovely) as we're more of the kind of people to look for the beautiful quieter spots than go for the tourists meccas.

The half-plan is to drive up the coast and then spend a day in Bangkok before going home from there. Is it reasonable to expect to drive around Bangkok or is that pure madness on my part?? If we want to go visit Chaing Rai and Chiang Mai should we fly? How long does it take to fly?

I've been looking around the forum and it's been great to get a lot of local perspective ... thanks :o

Kim

I am an Aussie, and I have been driving here for years, but you have to be willing to accept that every country has a different style.

If you have been here before, and seen how people drive, then I would say ok, give it a go, but if you are the slightest prone to any sort of Road Rage or anger with unusual driving styles, then forget it. A car and Driver are cheap to hire.

HI Khutan and thanks for the reply :o

We're not prone to road rage and definitely understand that each country has their own way. We just want to cruise around and will not be in any hurry.

Is it really inexpensive to have a driver? What sort of range are you meaning?

Hi everyone,

We're off to Thailand early April for a 9 day trip and would like to know if you think it's easy enough for two Aussies to drive around Thailand a little when we've never been there before?

We plan to fly into Phuket and drive up the coast, staying at Ko Lanta for a time (it looks lovely) as we're more of the kind of people to look for the beautiful quieter spots than go for the tourists meccas.

The half-plan is to drive up the coast and then spend a day in Bangkok before going home from there. Is it reasonable to expect to drive around Bangkok or is that pure madness on my part?? If we want to go visit Chaing Rai and Chiang Mai should we fly? How long does it take to fly?

I've been looking around the forum and it's been great to get a lot of local perspective ... thanks :o

Kim

The answer is absolutely, 100% without question NO. You have never experienced anything remotely like traffic in this country. Nothing can prepare you for it, and your first experience with it should NOT be driving in it. Save yourself time, stress, and possible injury and take public transportation or better yet, hire a van and a driver. Its not that expensive and will be worth every penny. The life you save might be mine, and I thank you for it.

Other reasons why its a bad idea. You cannot read Thai, and many road signs are only in Thai. You have no idea about the hierachy of vehicle traffic that exists in this country, and without that knowledge, you will find yourself as a hood ornament for a large dump truck. You have never driven with the massive motorcycle traffic that is here, and the poor quality of driving. etc, etc, etc

A driver and van should cost you 2,000 baht per day (Maximum)

Edited by jbowman1993

The answer is absolutely, 100% without question NO. You have never experienced anything remotely like traffic in this country. Nothing can prepare you for it, and your first experience with it should NOT be driving in it. Save yourself time, stress, and possible injury and take public transportation or better yet, hire a van and a driver. Its not that expensive and will be worth every penny. The life you save might me mine, and I thank you for it.

:o:D:D:D Ok Ok! I get it Jbowman. I'll find a driver :D

I am an Aussie, and I have been driving here for years, but you have to be willing to accept that every country has a different style.

If you have been here before, and seen how people drive, then I would say ok, give it a go, but if you are the slightest prone to any sort of Road Rage or anger with unusual driving styles, then forget it. A car and Driver are cheap to hire.

I AM prone to road rage I'm sorry to say. So when my wife and I visit Thailand she has her uncle drive my car and I have to sit in the passenger's seat...since he understands how Thais drive because he is Thai and all that. That is okay, more time for me to view the scenery.

I have driven for years in Thailand but on Samui & in Issan, I wouldn't even attempt it in bangkok or the main souther highways cause I have no idea what they are dong or where they are going as a passenger :o, like others have said a family member picks me, hubby & the boy up at the airport & takes us into town, once we get oop north east or down the islands then I take over the driving & I quite like it.

Having a driver around BKK & for the long trips is a good idea though, apart from being able to enjoy the journey more you will be a lot less stressed but there isnt a problem driivng around quieter places imo & is one of the best ways t find out where things are.

Have a great trip. :D

I have been driving in Bangkok for 3-4 years. I think Phuket is the worst to drive in. Samui is 2nd and Pattaya 3rd. Bangkok is ok as long as you have a bit of aggresion, only a little though. and by that I mean pull out in front of people so you can do a left, dont wait for anyone to stop coz it wont hapen. its easy, just go with the flow and expect anyone in front of you on the left or right lane to just cut you up at anytime. and keep an eye open for the BIKES.

I have been driving in Bangkok for 3-4 years. I think Phuket is the worst to drive in. Samui is 2nd and Pattaya 3rd. Bangkok is ok as long as you have a bit of aggresion, only a little though. and by that I mean pull out in front of people so you can do a left, dont wait for anyone to stop coz it wont hapen. its easy, just go with the flow and expect anyone in front of you on the left or right lane to just cut you up at anytime. and keep an eye open for the BIKES.

Has anybody driven the Los Angeles Freeways HA !!! What with drive by shootings, Road Rage with GUNS, Illegal Aliens that run away from the accident( no lic. or Ins. ) Thier new game is now raceing each other in traffic, most times someone is killed. So I feel pretty safe in Thailnad when I drive, but if you want a hassle free way to see the countryside rent a Van with a driver then you get to go where, when and how long you stay. Never worry about a accident or getting a ticket. You will have a loy more fun.

I cant believe people think it's hard to drive here. I never have any problems. Sure there is bad traffic and selfish drivers in Bangkok, but name me a big city in any country where that isnt the case?

As for country driving? I love it.

I'm never happier than when I'm behind the wheel, hurtling through the Thai countryside.

If you've driven in a major capital or metropolitan city then you might be ok but I would not advise it. Also, from your intended route, you don't need to drive. save yourself the aggravation and just use public transport or taxis. For sure you don't need transport in Krabi or on Koh Lanta.

As for driving in Bangkok, well pretty much forget it. I know parts of the city but I'll readily admit to using taxis. One way systems and missing turn offs not knowing how you will get back to where you want, not speaking the language, etc., it just makes it stressful when it should be fun.

You can hire a car or van with driver but beware that he will only know one area or perhaps only Bangkok. However, he should be able to find where you want to go especially if you have prepared information beforehand.

I've travelled around where you are talking about and I would certainly not bother unless I had a specific reason like I was taking my baby.

Hi everyone,

I've been looking around the forum and it's been great to get a lot of local perspective ... thanks :D

Kim

Hi Taralotus,

By all means rent a car and drive yourself. It's a great way to see the country and the REAL Thailand away from the main city (alright 'town') centres. Usually your driver will want to take you to any place where he can get a kickback and delay your journey for an age with all the "You go look, only ten minutes, I wait you here"

Country driving is nowadays much easier than it used to be, I'be been driving both cars and big bikes here for twenty-five years and (no I wont say it..... there's no wood handy to touch!!!)

Chiang Rai is either 860 or 818 Km from BKK city centre depending on the route. The longer of the two is now dual carriageway all the way and it really is a great drive. I did it last Friday on my Bike and it only took me 9 hours. Having said that though there are now at least four flights per day that take a maximum of 1 hour 20 mins and fairly cheap at around THB 1750 - 2500 one way. Rental cars are easily found and will cost no more than THb 1500 per day with insurance and a driver will cost you around 300 - 500 per day. There are soem good road atlases around in the bookshops so its very hard to get lost particularly if someone shows you how to read the old-fashioned milestones along the roads. Chiang Mai by the way is less far and it can be done in 7 hours comfortably (OK I have a lead foot)

If you end up in Chiang Rai drop a PM.

Bon voyage

AjarnP :o

Driving around anywhere in Thailand is ok and easy to do. However, it takes far more concentration than in the west… for example passing traffic on a dual carriage way the car you are passing is quite likely to change lanes without any apparent reason or signal. I’d believe that westerner and Thai’s alike are at equally risk to being involved in an accident and simple bad luck plays a big part in that.

My friends and I have all been driving in Thailand for at least 5 years… I’ve had two crashes, neither my fault, they were harmless fender benders, my friend has had a crash and that’s it.

It’s the motorbikes you have to watch out for… its quite insane and I am still surprised that I have not hit one, sometimes they cut you up with such proximity missing them seems impossible.

In the city you have to be aggressive, nose out and force your way a little in order to make headway, its unnecessary to get annoyed although most people will at some point in any traffic.

Out of the city, less aggression is better and simply being very vigilant is the best way to drive.

Maps can be obtained, and getting around should be simple enough. Getting a little lost is also part of the fun. People are generally nice and will always try to help, in fact they love to help and even if they don’t know what you are saying or where you want to go you will very helpfully be pointed off in any direction with a smile !

Also – because of the distances involved, flying somewhere (i.e Chiang Mai) then hiring a car to drive around the region seems a logical way do to things, the same for other areas (i.e. North East). I’ve hired a car in Samui and dropped it off in Phuket before (this obviously costs a little more).

The real question is… do you trust yourself than someone you’ve never met before to drive you around. In the city taxi’s are fine. Heading out of the country some guys have no concept of consequence and that can be frightening. I’m much rather be in control of my destiny, but at the same time its tiring to be thinking all the time, what if they do that, what if this happens etc etc….

Its certainly not like as easy as a driving holiday in the west, but at the same time you don’t want it to be.

Also, the Jollies (Police, often referred to as BIB; Boys in Brown) like to pull people over for any reason. Being foreign can help or hinder you it just depends on the situation.

Deal with them politely they’re just out to make some small change, if you are certain you have done nothing wrong its ok to politely try and say that (you’ll probably be waved on because they don’t want to waste time trying to talk to someone they cant understand). However, some could be difficult and this could be testing, the police sometimes like to try and intimidate, but if you are relaxed this posturing does not last long. Paying tea money of B100 or B200 is quite normal, paying more than that would be considered excessive.

Thanks everyone :D From what I can gather from a few of you, it might be better for my husband (who is inclined to stress when I'm driving! or when he's driving and can't figure out where he's going/where he is now) who might feel better if we have a driver who knows the area. We have had one recommended to us by quite a few friends who've been to Thailand and who has good rep.

All that aside, on my own I think that I'd probably be game for a drive, I don't stress so much. But my husband is a white-knuckle passenger if I'm driving :o

Kim

Edited by TaraLotus

Phuket IS the worst, stay to the north of the island, avoid Phuket town and the roads to the South, and over the HILL to Patong. My advice would be leave the island once over the bridge its much better, untill that is you get within 50k of Bangkok :o:D:D

That's the only problem. Driving in Thailand is not an issue if you have been there a few times before, even if you had not driven.

Give it a miss this time. Maybe next or time after next.

The real question is… do you trust yourself than someone you’ve never met before to drive you around. In the city taxi’s are fine. Heading out of the country some guys have no concept of consequence and that can be frightening. I’m much rather be in control of my destiny, but at the same time its tiring to be thinking all the time, what if they do that, what if this happens etc etc….

This to me is the crux of the issue. Of course the majority view one gets on forums like this is that you should at all costs hire a driver. All I can say is that I have found this to be a very scary experience on a couple of occasions, and much prefer my own judgment. I've been driving for 6 years in Thailand with no accidents, mainly in Isaan, but including Bangkok and Samui. Agree with those on the thread who say it is possible but needs extra care, special attention to motor bikes and perhaps a bit of background research. I thought there was a very useful thread on another forum recently which explained how to recognise the 'no left turn on red' signs that are now springing up in several Isaan cities. Traditionally there is a reverse Thai equivalent of the US 'right turn on red' but this is now less universal than before. A bit of checking on that kind of thing and you should be okay.

I have been driving in Thailand for more than 17 years, without a problem.

1. Had and have a good car which is serviced regularly.

2. Always look left and right even if it a “One Way Street” That is a Must .

3. Ignore the “Hot Rod” motorbikes if you can as the next car will take them out.

Temporary Citizens I call them.

4. Take it easy and as most mentioned Hire a car and Driver, as he does speak Thai.

5.April is not a good time to Visit Thailand and driving by yourself, why, Songkran,

Thai New Year, middle of the month. :o Visit Thailand for Songkran yes it is great time of the year 40c odd heat as well. :D

large.jpg

6. Have a good holiday. :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. and I do take photos whilst driving here. Please do not try it. :D

I cant believe people think it's hard to drive here. I never have any problems. Sure there is bad traffic and selfish drivers in Bangkok, but name me a big city in any country where that isnt the case?

As for country driving? I love it.

I'm never happier than when I'm behind the wheel, hurtling through the Thai countryside.

Have to agree with bendix.

So long as you take care it's ok.

Only real problem I have is driving around BKK and thats because I rarely go there, don't know the place and get lost!

If you rent a car maybe you can get a deal on satnav thrown in.

Don't be put off by the naysayers, driving around yourself is a great way to see the country.

I have driven in Thailand numerous times including Bangkok-Hua Hin; Bangkok-Pattaya; Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai, Phuket and Samui without any real problems. Poor quality maps have been my biggest problem.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT POINT - By law you must have an international driving permit. It is unlikely that your hire company agent will be aware of this legal requirement so you won't be asked to show it. However, if you get into any problems with the Police you will need it.

Regards

John

Everyone, you've been giving me great advice, both sides, and I appreciate it.

KanWin .. you crack me up man! I promise I won't take photos if I drive but I think I might leave it to a local to drive us, we trust this lady as she has driven a lot of Aussies visiting Thailand with never a bad report.

Yeah, I realise there's a lot going on in April but Songkran is one of the reasons I want to go then. Should be cool :o

Great info .. thanks again :o
If you have the balls and your a damm good driver, make sure you keep your large bills hidden, near your licence have 2 or 300baht ready to give to the officer, always make sure to keep your gas tank, no less then Half full, have a cooler, always smile, If you hit a Buffalo, you might have to buy it, there are maps in English, Don't go into Bangkok, If you need you can give a motor cycle taxi 100 to 200bhat and follow him, if lost, It will be an adventure like no other, many people, car ,truck, MC drive with no lights on, wrong side of the road, You thank Buddha and God every time you park the car, most are in a big hurry, going no where, If you smoke, don't flick you toxic butts, pack it in ,pack it out, bottle water, and brush teeth with it, don't flash gold, always smile,

you life now is worth, if it is not your fault and you get dead, 100,000baht approx $3,000 of your coin, May health and happiness be with you and yours.

Koto, Keeper of the ocean

I join the chorus saying driving in Thailand is not too bad. A little more effort than in the Western countries, but not something you should avoid like the plague. The only proviso I would add is that it may be easier to hire a car, at least in Bangkok. Not because it is dangerous but more because Bangkok is a very large city that it is easy to get lost in AND because parking can be a pain. I do not know where you are planning to go in Bangkok, but someplaces you just won't be able to find a spot to park your car. It may just be more convenient to hire a driver as it will probably cost about the same as renting a car, and because you can tell him to pick you up in an hour. Just a thought.

I have driven in Thailand numerous times including Bangkok-Hua Hin; Bangkok-Pattaya; Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai, Phuket and Samui without any real problems. Poor quality maps have been my biggest problem.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT POINT - By law you must have an international driving permit. It is unlikely that your hire company agent will be aware of this legal requirement so you won't be asked to show it. However, if you get into any problems with the Police you will need it.

Regards

John

[/quote

How many times have heard this " by law you must have an international driving permit".

This is catagorically incorrect and none of the big international car hire companies such as avis,hertz or budget will require it.Believe me these companies are more than aware of what is legally required within the worldwide countries that they operate in. What is legally required is a license from your own country that is in the English language. The IDP is not a license but a translation of your license.I agree that having one might stop a corrupt police officer using this as an excuse to collect his afternoon tea money but the fact is that if the police do give you problems then it is they that are in breach of the law and not you.Personally I have been driving in Thailand since 1989 for various periods using an old "no photo" British DL and have never encountered any problems with the police despite being stoped on numerous occasions. I have also hired cars from the aforementioned companies and their terms and conditions (unless they have changed within the last 6 months) clearly state that only a home country license in the English language is required.

Edited by brizzle