Dmax, Vigo Or Triton

Lobin

Hello All

First post in the motor forum, just wanted some input from nammaan heads with regards to the DMax, Vigo or a Triton.

Would like to know more about peoples views and experiences on handling, engine, consumptions and the like, as for aesthetics I can work that one out for myself! The Triton wins hands down on the interior and finishing, Vigo and DMax falling well short, but then the price tag reflects this. Exteriors are all pretty on a par i think, except for the Triton has god awful silver wheel arch finishes on every single colour model, looks like someone ran out of time painting it at the factory (but would defintely have to be painted black first thing!)

I have read some where that the DMax is not so good in the handling department bit sluggish, and the Vigo has a habit of doing the odd roll now and then, with the Triton seems to be the more stable out of the trio?

Am looking at a diesel engine, 2x4 4x4 changeable, 4 door auto with a bit of poke.

All advice greatly received..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All

First post in the motor forum, just wanted some input from nammaan heads with regards to the DMax, Vigo or a Triton.

Would like to know more about peoples views and experiences on handling, engine, consumptions and the like, as for aesthetics I can work that one out for myself! The Triton wins hands down on the interior and finishing, Vigo and DMax falling well short, but then the price tag reflects this. Exteriors are all pretty on a par i think, except for the Triton has god awful silver wheel arch finishes on every single colour model, looks like someone ran out of time painting it at the factory (but would defintely have to be painted black first thing!)

I have read some where that the DMax is not so good in the handling department bit sluggish, and the Vigo has a habit of doing the odd roll now and then, with the Triton seems to be the more stable out of the trio?

Am looking at a diesel engine, 2x4 4x4 changeable, 4 door auto with a bit of poke.

completely forgot about the Navara, but then again heard rumours its a bit of a bus to drive

Hello All

Hi Lobin

I have a new DMax exactly like you describe in the last para plus its one of the limited edition GT models with some good 'gismo's' standard equipment. Obviously I like it, thats why I bought it, but after now covering about 4,000k, the main thing I am very pleased with is the handling/performance. It is hard to get a true 'feel' of a car/truck in a quick test drive (remembering its a TRUCK BTW). GO DRIVE THEM ALL!

I agree, the Triton is a well built truck. I like the look of the 4 door (some hate it!)

Good luck in your quest.

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

I have a Triton 2.5 4WD myself. Chose it because I love the looks and a couple of years ago everybody else seemed to have Vigo's or Dmax's.

I am surprised that you say the Vigo interior lets it down as I quite rate it, marginally better than the Triton imo.

The Dmax is just a cheap plastic mess inside.

The engine(Triton) is plenty powerful enough for me but a friend has the 3.2 and that really does go like siht off a shovel.

Handling wise it has never let me down and has handled tricky situations on and off road without drama. I have never had a 4WD before and the way it pulled me out of a muddy paddy one time was great as I was imagining a long walk and paying a local to drag me out with his tractor.

Fuel consumption was a pleasant surprise, averages between 14 and 17 kms per litre. I have a cover on the back which helps about 2 km/l I'd guess.

Not sure about the silver wheel arch trim as I have grey on my black Triton. Maybe they are not an option now.

I have a Triton 2.5 4WD myself. Chose it because I love the looks and a couple of years ago everybody else seemed to have Vigo's or Dmax's.

I am surprised that you say the Vigo interior lets it down as I quite rate it, marginally better than the Triton imo.

The engine(Triton) is plenty powerful enough for me but a friend has the 3.2 and that really does go like siht off a shovel.

Handling wise it has never let me down and has handled tricky situations on and off road without drama. I have never had a 4WD before and the way it pulled me out of a muddy paddy one time was great as I was imagining a long walk and paying a local to drag me out with his tractor.

Fuel consumption was a pleasant surprise, averages between 14 and 17 kms per litre. I have a cover on the back which helps about 2 km/l I'd guess.

Not sure about the silver wheel arch trim as I have grey on my black Triton. Maybe they are not an option now.

hi thanks for the post. trying to sift through this forum for useful information is a struggle at the best of times. could you post a picture of your triton? well the wheel arches are a silvery grey colour from what i have seen, and just kind of breaks the eye line of the vehicle for me.

useful to know about the fuel cons. thanks, are you AT or MT? i was going for the sportslid as well, so can act as a decent storage area, waterproofing etc. do you know what your friend was getting on the 3.2 version full consumption wise.

i am currently swinging towards a triton GLS limited edition, really super interior, leather and all the rest, but having turned 30 last year there is a nagging part in the back of my head which is saying "economise... fuel consumption fuel consumption.." but still kinda being pulled toward 3.2! big boys toys and all that... likewise i would love a set of 20" bad boys on there, but again thinking maybe just limit myself to 18 for comfort!

Edited by Lobin

Some folks have complained about the Vigo's interior being not as good as the previous Hilux Tiger models. However, I'd be more concerned with the overall reliability/handling/comfort than the accessories. I have yet to ride in a Triton or D-Max, but I did take a ride in a Vigo 2WD cab model and it was great. Big, bucket seats up front and plenty of head room gave me the impression of being back in the States in a Ford F series truck. Like my father-in-law's older Hilux Tiger, the ride was smooth for a pickup and it seemed to handle well. Price wise, I've noticed that D-Max is the most expensive while Triton and Vigo seem to be about even. This Vigo had a manual transmission which is what I'd opt for. Living in BKK, I have no use for a 4WD which brings the purchase price down a lot.

The Triton is supposed to have the biggest and most comfortable interior of all, despite the "cartoon car" appearance on the outside. I think it's the only pickup that offers a 3.2 liter engine. My only gripe about the Triton as that it looks a bit "tinny"...it gives the appearance of having been built like some of the lower priced cars. D-Max looks pretty solid but is supposed to get shaky after 100,000 km or so.

Some folks have complained about the Vigo's interior being not as good as the previous Hilux Tiger models. However, I'd be more concerned with the overall reliability/handling/comfort than the accessories. I have yet to ride in a Triton or D-Max, but I did take a ride in a Vigo 2WD cab model and it was great. Big, bucket seats up front and plenty of head room gave me the impression of being back in the States in a Ford F series truck. Like my father-in-law's older Hilux Tiger, the ride was smooth for a pickup and it seemed to handle well. Price wise, I've noticed that D-Max is the most expensive while Triton and Vigo seem to be about even. This Vigo had a manual transmission which is what I'd opt for. Living in BKK, I have no use for a 4WD which brings the purchase price down a lot.

The Triton is supposed to have the biggest and most comfortable interior of all, despite the "cartoon car" appearance on the outside. I think it's the only pickup that offers a 3.2 liter engine. My only gripe about the Triton as that it looks a bit "tinny"...it gives the appearance of having been built like some of the lower priced cars. D-Max looks pretty solid but is supposed to get shaky after 100,000 km or so.

by all means the handling/reliability/comfort is the biggest part, i am looking at doing lots of long distance driving in the unit, +2000 km, on a fairly regular basis, so need comfort, which i why i have been interested in the triton top end unit. as well the triton was designed as a pickup but with a car in mind, hence it looks more car like and not as solid as others, although looks are not everything as we know.

i would like to go for a manual for the fuel consumption but then i as well as long distance journeys will also be doing a fair bit of town driving and it really gets a pain in the arse/foot getting on and off the clutch all day long, so might have to sacrifice that.

as for the 4WD option, the way i see it these units are very rear end light, weight wise, i consider 4WD is not just for offroading or bouncing up and down dirt tracks, but for normal roads in slightly adverse slippy conditions, could be the difference between coming out of a corner facing the way you came into it!

4WD can help keep you stable in certain slippery conditions, however the bulk of the truck's weight will be up front. You'll have a transfer case in the middle, but you'll also have the second differential up front which puts even more weight on the front wheels. The tires are more expensive and so are any drivetrain repairs, plus if you don't engage 4WD every now and then the oil in the front differential could dry up and cause you to fry that part of the drivetrain when you decide to engage 4WD someday.

As for the pain of constantly clutching in traffic, I can relate to that! I live and work in BKK and although where I am is classified as "the suburbs", it does get very congested at times. However, with all the advantages of a manual, the clutching doesn't bother me; I simply adopt the technique used by many city drivers here: I slip the gearbox in neutral and give my foot/clutch a rest. If necessary, I'll hold the brake down to keep the car from rolling. Many drivers here have a habit of using the handbrake whenever they're stuck in traffic, but I feel this puts unnecessary strain on the steel cable which may fail if you really do need it someday.

If you can buy a new pickup with cash, I envy you! Most of us poor English teachers would consider owning a new vehicle as "wishful thinking" :o

4WD can help keep you stable in certain slippery conditions, however the bulk of the truck's weight will be up front. You'll have a transfer case in the middle, but you'll also have the second differential up front which puts even more weight on the front wheels. The tires are more expensive and so are any drivetrain repairs, plus if you don't engage 4WD every now and then the oil in the front differential could dry up and cause you to fry that part of the drivetrain when you decide to engage 4WD someday.

As for the pain of constantly clutching in traffic, I can relate to that! I live and work in BKK and although where I am is classified as "the suburbs", it does get very congested at times. However, with all the advantages of a manual, the clutching doesn't bother me; I simply adopt the technique used by many city drivers here: I slip the gearbox in neutral and give my foot/clutch a rest. If necessary, I'll hold the brake down to keep the car from rolling. Many drivers here have a habit of using the handbrake whenever they're stuck in traffic, but I feel this puts unnecessary strain on the steel cable which may fail if you really do need it someday.

If you can buy a new pickup with cash, I envy you! Most of us poor English teachers would consider owning a new vehicle as "wishful thinking" :o

certainly i can appreciate the benefits on manual, being able to choose the gear you want rather than letting the car decide it for you is a real benefit. i think maybe i have just gotten lazy having lived here for too long!

i see that the triton has this hybrid limited slip diff, gimic or you think that this is a worth while thing?

Got a Triton 2.5 4WD manual. Very nice to drive. Clutch isn't heavy so not too much of a hassle driving in Bkk, plenty of power, quiet in the cab - doesnt sound like a tractor. Only downside is that the aircon vent controls aren't as good as on a Vigo - can never get the vents to point where they really should.

Lobin....I think the limited slip differential would offer an advantage to the older versions for off-roading. However, many people here in BKK go for 4WD when it's not necessary. 4WD seems to be a fashion trend here. Unless you're going to do serious off-roading and/or you live in a tiny moobaan with a dirt road that looks like the moon, I don't think you'll need 4WD. When my wife and I had our honeymoon, we went to Doi Angkaan in Chaing Mai...a standard, 2WD diesel van took us 25km up to the top of the mountain. Those roads redefined the word "steep", yet the van had no trouble.

hi thanks for the post. trying to sift through this forum for useful information is a struggle at the best of times. could you post a picture of your triton? well the wheel arches are a silvery grey colour from what i have seen, and just kind of breaks the eye line of the vehicle for me.

useful to know about the fuel cons. thanks, are you AT or MT? i was going for the sportslid as well, so can act as a decent storage area, waterproofing etc. do you know what your friend was getting on the 3.2 version full consumption wise.

i am currently swinging towards a triton GLS limited edition, really super interior, leather and all the rest, but having turned 30 last year there is a nagging part in the back of my head which is saying "economise... fuel consumption fuel consumption.." but still kinda being pulled toward 3.2! big boys toys and all that... likewise i would love a set of 20" bad boys on there, but again thinking maybe just limit myself to 18 for comfort!

Hi I have a manual, not too fond of automatic transmissions.

My friend complains about his fuel consumption on his 3.2, never gets more than 12 km/l but then his right foot is way heavier than mine.

post-9791-1202449600_thumb.jpgpost-9791-1202449621_thumb.jpg

My friend complains about his fuel consumption on his 3.2, never gets more than 12 km/l but then his right foot is way heavier than mine.

cheers for the post and the pics, i must admit i am defintely more keen on the triton compared to the vigo, i am going out later to check out the dmax a bit more. as for me, i think that there is just too much choice, my friends think that "slightly indecisive" is rather an underestimate of my character!

manual or auto

4 or 2WD

big or small cc

:o

somedays i might want one option, but then the next day i want the other!

is your friends 3.2 AT or MT?

Rolled my Vigo 4x4 dual cab last Friday doing about 100kmh on highway 304. Walked away with just a scratch but the Vigo is a write off. A pretty good recommendation I think.

What am I driving now ? A Vigo 4x4 dual cab, of course.

enjoyed the roll that much, going for second time round? :o

Rolled my Vigo 4x4 dual cab last Friday doing about 100kmh on highway 304. Walked away with just a scratch but the Vigo is a write off. A pretty good recommendation I think.

What am I driving now ? A Vigo 4x4 dual cab, of course.

enjoyed the roll that much, going for second time round? :o

Think I'll try a salad roll next time. :D Much better for my health.

Edited by sibeymai

just come back form having a look at the new GT Dmax Gold series, does indeed look a good looking beast, and am going for a test drive tomorrow. only thing is, is that now it is making my choice a lot harder. I have ruled out the Vigo for certain now, and am just trying to work out whether to go Triton GLS limited or Isuzu GT gold series.. of course after that choice is made, i guess i also better decide manual or auto, big engine small engine!

Edited by Lobin

i guess i also better decide manual or auto, big engine small engine!

The only engine available in the D-Max LS or LS GT is the 163 HP 3.0 L VGS. Great engine by the way :o .

Petch01

agreed, so if i went for the Dmax then that would be one less decision i would have to make..

what about all this talk about with the isuzu engine that after 100K on the clock the engine starts to sounds awful?

what sort of consumption do you get with this pickup and do you run AT or MT?

and what do you think about the differences between this and the triton GLS limited currently available?

Edited by Lobin

Correct me if i'm wrong...

But i think the Vigo is not the only one that is going to role over when doing that manouvre used in that swedish test..

Probably all of them will. Even the Thai Mitsibushi :o

WHY DID'NT THEY THEN ?

I'm too lazy to backtrack but I think you will find it was a group test involving many other comparable trucks.

Dave

But i think the Vigo is not the only one that is going to role over when doing that manouvre used in that swedish test..

The only truck that failed the test was the Toyota. All the rest passed.

As far as the Isuzu engine becoming "shakey" after a 100,000 kilometers, you couldn't tell my friend that. He bought his Isuzu new and the engine sounds and runs great after 285,000 kilometers. Other than regular service his engine has never been touched.

i personally know of 3 other people who have had their Vigo roll on them, but they called it the "it was a soi dog, honest guv' " test

Probably all of them will. Even the Thai Mitsibushi :D

i personally know of 3 other people who have had their Vigo roll on them, but they called it the "it was a soi dog, honest guv' " test

I dont know of any rollovers at all and my town is full of Vigos in all shapes and heights............ hadnt heard of this regular problem either until the swedish report came out and then every non Toyota owner knowsa friend of a friend who had this exact problem too. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it only the tallest of the models which had this problem ??. My own Vigo is a perfect drive with no hint of danger at any time........ but then I am not perched as high as some of the 4x4's

I wouldn't buy an Izusu, glorified plastic tractors with agricultural engines which are unresponsive and break down regularly.......... At least thats what the Vigo and Mitsubishi owners would tell me :o

JAF

i am sure that there are vigos that havent and will not roll, and the fact that there are probably more vigos in circulation than any other PU could be an reason why the vigo appears to be the most rollable PU out there.

however...

i am glad there are people happy with their vigo purchase, and not trying to start another slagging match between PU owners! for whatever reason i am not buying a vigo, and am looking at the difference now between the new GT Dmax or a Triton GLS limited.

on paper they both look very similar, fuel consumption i dont think that there is much difference between the 2 maybe the triton might pip the dmax (thinking about aerodynamics of the thing and weight), the engines are both quite new, the dmax exterior appearance is IMHO better, and the interior of the triton is again IMHO better than the DMax, even the gold version. and seeing as i am spending the majority of my time in the inside, would seem more sense to get the most comfortable. the price difference doesnt seem that much comparing the two..

as i have been advised, whatever i will get i will more than likely like anyway and it really doesnt make THAT much of a difference i suppose.

Edited by Lobin