Dmax, Vigo Or Triton

Lobin

Good point...better to be comfy even if the outside isn't the greatest. However, you need stability, strength and durability in all departments. The engines of all the pickups in question are probably alright, but there are differences in suspension and body panels. The don't make trucks like they used to, but some are tougher than others. The D-Max is pretty solid and similar to an American pickup. Of course, there's Ford Ranger, but they don't have the reputation shared by the others.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should point out that the Vigo I rolled was no way responsible for the rollover....100% driver error having fallen asleep, then veered across the grass median. Sliding sideways off the bitumen, once the tyres dug into the soft grass of the median a rollover was inevitable and would probably have happened whatever the type of vehicle. I'm very happy with the Vigo's turret strength which saved me from serious injury. I might have been less fortunate in a sedan or hatchback.

just as an update for the masses, i have just got back from test driving Dmax GT gold series and triton and PURELY in my opinion i preferred the ride in the triton (more responsive to steering movements compared to the Dmax, felt a little sluggish), did a VERY short term comparison of fuel consumption with the triton appearing to be ahead, marginly, so with that in mind and that both engines/suspension/brakes are very similar and that i think that the inside of the triton is better than the dmax its looking likely that i will choose the triton GLS limited version. price is very similar, got a good extras package, good rate of interest and the service was good with it as well.

asked the isuzu guy about the 100K on the clock and the apparent noise, he commented that that was really only an issue on the older model engines and this new one they have rectified this.

but as said before with such a close ball park, its all down to personal reasons in the end. so thanks to all inputters has been useful.

I have a Triton 3.2GLS Limited, and I think you will be happy with your purchase, as I am. I like it's interior, and the exterior (while hated by some) was something new, and frankly I have grown to like it very much (I must say, however, that the only the 4x4s look good to me, as the 4x2 looks quite daggy IMO).

Happy motoring!

I think all the diesel pickups, and I mean ALL are good solid dependable vehicles. If any of them were weak or trouble prone, they would soon be off the market. I have a Nissan pickup now and as for what I buy the next time, it will be whichever one I like the best. My least favorite is Toyota but that is mainly because of the rabid Toyota lovers. I always said that if Toyota put wheels on a turd, the Toyota lovers would tell you what a GREAT turd it is.

I think all the diesel pickups, and I mean ALL are good solid dependable vehicles. If any of them were weak or trouble prone, they would soon be off the market.

think that sums it up pretty well really, and what you get on top of that is purely personal preference.

I always said that if Toyota put wheels on a turd, the Toyota lovers would tell you what a GREAT turd it is.

and as for this, well i think that you just like stirring the pot a little!... but it is fun.. :D

my vigo brochure is now being used as a beer mat.. :D

only joking! :o

post-19088-1202559214_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lobin

Triton came out as a response to the Vigo, and both are new designs, vs the Isuzu which is ancient. Personally I love the Triton looks, everyone who owns one says they are great, so I would go for it. Treat yourself to a 4WD 3.2, you deserve it. Then again if you won't ever use the 4WD, 2WD 3.2 might be even better. E.g. if you live in BKK.

I don't think you would use the switchable 4WD for better traction on a slippery road. The 4WD in these things is meant for serious offroad use, the car will drive like crap on a semi-decent road. No center differential, that's why.

Triton came out as a response to the Vigo, and both are new designs, vs the Isuzu which is ancient. Personally I love the Triton looks, everyone who owns one says they are great, so I would go for it. Treat yourself to a 4WD 3.2, you deserve it. Then again if you won't ever use the 4WD, 2WD 3.2 might be even better. E.g. if you live in BKK.

I don't think you would use the switchable 4WD for better traction on a slippery road. The 4WD in these things is meant for serious offroad use, the car will drive like crap on a semi-decent road. No center differential, that's why.

the other good things about the triton, as i might not be on keeping this till it drops, (as i know some people buy PUs for), but the mitsu comes with a 5 year warranty or 150K whichever earliest, so i can get a good 3 years out the motor and then still sell it on with an additional 2 years warranty, so thats got to be worth something.

oh and almost forgot, how could i, the triton has that little window in the back that opens out to the flat bed, (where 4 dogs are going to be living on journeys), so as a special request from the missus, she can now talk the dogs on a long journey.. essential when it comes to PU consideration... :o:D

Edited by Lobin

Lobin asked me for a pic, so here she is.... anybody been to the location pictured before? Pat on the back if you have....

Also Lobin, it's an auto, I think all of the 3.2GLS Limited's are autos, if I'm not mistaken.

2002870074786977440_rs.jpg

edit: Lobin you also asked about fuel consumption, i can't say really, I don't really bother looking but it's better than all of my other cars, that's for sure!

Edited by teej

Lobin asked me for a pic, so here she is.... anybody been to the location pictured before? Pat on the back if you have....

Also Lobin, it's an auto, I think all of the 3.2GLS Limited's are autos, if I'm not mistaken.

edit: Lobin you also asked about fuel consumption, i can't say really, I don't really bother looking but it's better than all of my other cars, that's for sure!

cheers for the info and post, the GLS limited does indeed come in a choice of auto or manual... i have opted for manual much to the disgust of my girlfriend.. :o

I was all ready to buy the Nissan Navara. For whatever reason I was driving by the Isuzu dealer and said what the heck let's go take a look. Went in and on display was the DMAX 4 door 4x4 Gold Series. Wow what a nice looking vehicle. Here's some pics:

Here's their first offer:

841,000 baht

included - 1yr. insurance, road tax, window tinting, bug guard, window rain guard, floor mats, spare wheel lock, bedliner and sometning to do with the ignition lock

What do you guys think ???

Correct me if i'm wrong...

But i think the Vigo is not the only one that is going to role over when doing that manouvre used in that swedish test..

Probably all of them will. Even the Thai Mitsibushi :D

WHY DID'NT THEY THEN ?

I'm too lazy to backtrack but I think you will find it was a group test involving many other comparable trucks.

Dave

Yes you are right but all with safety features not found on the Thai models :o

I was all ready to buy the Nissan Navara. For whatever reason I was driving by the Isuzu dealer and said what the heck let's go take a look. Went in and on display was the DMAX 4 door 4x4 Gold Series. Wow what a nice looking vehicle. Here's some pics:

841,000 baht

included - 1yr. insurance, road tax, window tinting, bug guard, window rain guard, floor mats, spare wheel lock, bedliner and sometning to do with the ignition lock

it is a nice looking vehicle, and was going to be my purchase, but i weighed up what i really wanted and after test driving them both decided for the triton. but was a difficult decision to make thats for sure...

Actually I'm quite partial to the Ford because it still looks like a pick up truck and is second only to Isuzu for fuel economy, BUT, I think Isuzu is the best and it is the most fuel efficient, BUT, Nissan has vents on the dash to defog the windshield. I'm really happy that I'm not in any hurry. I'm REALLY confused! :o

841,000 baht

Hi fm2002

That ignition thingie confused me too, when I bought my Dmax auto. Isuzu called it a Locktech device which did'nt mean much to me. Now I'v got the truck, I can confirm its a locking devise above the pedals that locks the pedals so that they cannot be operated and also cuts the ignition electrical curcuit. Seems quite a sturdy bit of kit.

See previous posts re extra's to insist on. You have a few items missing!

Dave

I have got a Triton ( 2 doors ) myself and can say

it is a wondeful car , great balance on the road , very steady !

Just went to maesai and back to Chiangmai ,

55 liters full tank , back at home and still half full a tank !

Not a bad deal I would say guys , the triton in my opinion is the best

truck on the market at the moment .

Its an easy choice this time , although the design could make one change

their mind , but its the engine and the performance that counts !

hey yea i myself also have a 4x4 3.2gls limited triton, and well its drives soild. never had any problems with it, and so far i have 20,000km on the clock in the first 6months....

btw, i also have two dogs, a rotty/dobberman and an english staffie tarrier... and well they fit beautifully in the back, and the back window allows you to talk/communicate with them...plus if u wana give them a small snack. its a simple toss through the back window. btw i have a the boot case....that has a motor and moves up and down. so keeping the case up,, dogs inside, window down...is just plain perfect! especially for long drives, down to the beach and what not.

oh and the 4x4 mode i use rather frequently....when rain comes, and u dont feel like going above a 100, chuck it into 4x4 mode and the steering respones, and steering tightness bulks up and well u feel safe even flooring it in first or second in rain, without the worriness of drifting, sliding or major over steering in any wet road.

841,000 baht

Hi fm2002

That ignition thingie confused me too, when I bought my Dmax auto. Isuzu called it a Locktech device which did'nt mean much to me. Now I'v got the truck, I can confirm its a locking devise above the pedals that locks the pedals so that they cannot be operated and also cuts the ignition electrical curcuit. Seems quite a sturdy bit of kit.

See previous posts re extra's to insist on. You have a few items missing!

Dave

Thanks for the Lock Tech explannation. I've searched for a list of expected free options and read most of your recent posts, but have found no listing. Can you enlighten me to what options are missing from my list ? Have you heard of anybody getting a discount off the list price of 841,000 and all the free options as well ? They also explained they could install a dash mounted GPS system in place of the DVD, but could not incorporate both into one. Lastly I have read many posts about upgrading the insurance from the 80% they offer to higher, but when I have inquired about this they say they cannot even if I'm willing to pay extra.

Thanks

Thanks for the Lock Tech explannation. I've searched for a list of expected free options and read most of your recent posts, but have found no listing. Can you enlighten me to what options are missing from my list ? Have you heard of anybody getting a discount off the list price of 841,000 and all the free options as well ? They also explained they could install a dash mounted GPS system in place of the DVD, but could not incorporate both into one. Lastly I have read many posts about upgrading the insurance from the 80% they offer to higher, but when I have inquired about this they say they cannot even if I'm willing to pay extra.

Thanks

Hi fm2002

Its funny here in LOS, the car sales people do not give discounts for cash at all(any of them) IMHO. I drive a hard bargain,believe me and I had no luck. But then again the options add up to a large amount of dosh. Checked your list with mine and add the following :-

Underseal (2 day job costs 3,600b)

Engrish Handbook (I was lucky had one in stock!!)

Mats (are standard equipment on GT limited edition as pictured but NOT on LS model)

Bull Bar (did'nt ask for it, but fitted and now taken off, looked cr@p)

Car cover (pajama's for your 'pride n joy)

Red plates (temp number plates)

Chrome number plate surrounds

Note :- Bonnet(trunk) wind visor was not available even though offered(maybe cos of chrome trim on bonnet(see pics)

I think thats all I got !

I MOST DEFINETLY would not remove the Kenwood DVD, its a fantastic bit of kit. The English manual which is provided mentions additional 'boxes' for TV and GPS but I'v got a Mio520 for 15,600 with wide screen/blutooth ect, so I have no idea about sourcing these units . Having a seperate item makes it easier to upgrade maps and can be transfered to other vehicles, if needs be. Sorry also cannot help re insurance as I was not aware at the time of purchase about this aspect.

Great Car, I love it and PM me if I can be of further help.

Dave

hey yea i myself also have a 4x4 3.2gls limited triton, and well its drives soild. never had any problems with it, and so far i have 20,000km on the clock in the first 6months....

btw, i also have two dogs, a rotty/dobberman and an english staffie tarrier... and well they fit beautifully in the back, and the back window allows you to talk/communicate with them...plus if u wana give them a small snack. its a simple toss through the back window. btw i have a the boot case....that has a motor and moves up and down. so keeping the case up,, dogs inside, window down...is just plain perfect! especially for long drives, down to the beach and what not.

oh and the 4x4 mode i use rather frequently....when rain comes, and u dont feel like going above a 100, chuck it into 4x4 mode and the steering respones, and steering tightness bulks up and well u feel safe even flooring it in first or second in rain, without the worriness of drifting, sliding or major over steering in any wet road.

cheers thanks for the post, sounds good to me, like i say i think the most exciting thing about this model to the GF is the back window/dog application! we have ordered with the sports lid as well, so the dogs can stay in the back and still stay dry even when it rains, as there is no bl**dy way they are getting on the leather...

and also its good to know the 4x4 does indeed get used in the wet, i myself a few years ago, in a vigo though, was turning right from stationary, it had just finished raining and the road was a bit gritty from wash off, put my foot down a little too hard and did a nice 180 on the spot.

any chance of a pic to post on here?

Lastly I have read many posts about upgrading the insurance from the 80% they offer to higher, but when I have inquired about this they say they cannot even if I'm willing to pay extra.

Thanks

That is utter <deleted> and I hope you tell them to shove it. Go to a few brokers and find out some insurance quotes with reputable companies. Then tell them that you cannot buy the truck without higher insurance so they'll have to give you cash off. You can then work out what you get off versus what you will have to pay. If they don't play ball, just walk away.

I got 95% on mine though they offered 90% initially as a last offer but I wasn't prepared to lose 10% of the value in one day.

btw, i also have two dogs, a rotty/dobberman and an english staffie tarrier... and well they fit beautifully in the back, and the back window allows you to talk/communicate with them...... i have a the boot case....that has a motor and moves up and down. so keeping the case up,, dogs inside, window down....

Never owned or driven a pick up before but am considering buying one, so my query here may be ignorant. However I'd like to understand the arrangment you describe. By "the back" I assume you mean the dogs would be in the open/unrestricted outside/exposed area in the back. Then you lost me completely with boot case/motor...dogs inside part - is this latter contraption shown/described fully on a website that you could refer me to? Thanks.

btw, i also have two dogs, a rotty/dobberman and an english staffie tarrier... and well they fit beautifully in the back, and the back window allows you to talk/communicate with them...... i have a the boot case....that has a motor and moves up and down. so keeping the case up,, dogs inside, window down....

Never owned or driven a pick up before but am considering buying one, so my query here may be ignorant. However I'd like to understand the arrangment you describe. By "the back" I assume you mean the dogs would be in the open/unrestricted outside/exposed area in the back. Then you lost me completely with boot case/motor...dogs inside part - is this latter contraption shown/described fully on a website that you could refer me to? Thanks.

if you look back at a previous post in this thread you will see a black mitsu pick up on page 1, license 8789, with a horizontal lid that sits across what would be this open/unrestricted outside area in the back, this lid will rise up horizontally to lie flush with the roof of the not so open/restricted/inside area in the front. this is called in Thai a sa-port lid (sport lid). so the once contained back part will now be not so restricted but will still be covered from above from rain etc etc

as for seeing a website for this sport lid i am not sure, but any motor showroom you go in and they will have a brochure to show you this, the normal ones are made by CARRYBOY, pretty good quality and standard for back end fittings. hope that helps..

edit: carryboy try this site on for size, click on mitsu to see for triton, at least that is my interpretation of boot case..

Edited by Lobin

Triton came out as a response to the Vigo, and both are new designs, vs the Isuzu which is ancient.

Actually Mitsu lobbied the Thai government to raise tax threshold to 3.2l engines from the usual 3l to accomodate their new truck. They pinned great hopes on it, but it didn't deliver. At first they were saying that they don't care about initial sales, that people would gradually learn to love and appreciate Triton. It didn't happen.

Maybe it's the looks, maybe it's the lack of financial support (they have probably rectified that by now), maybe it's the small production numbers that force them to use cheaper components comparing to Toyota.

Then they spent three years on developing G-Wagon answer to Fortuner (and it's still not out yet). Toyota introduced Fortuner in three months after Vigo launch.

If not for the exports, the company would have been bankrupt long time ago. The only other vehicle they sell is Lancer that should have been replaced years ago.

The old pickup debate...mine is better than yours :o Actually, any pickup you can use to run over taxis and motorcyclists is a good pickup! :D Just have a decent brush and some car soap handy to clean the front end when you get home.

Some posters, such as myself, occassionally suffer from an acute form of "Brick Foot Syndrome" or BFS for short. This often manifests itself on open roads but can also occur during peak traffic times when motorcycle taxi guys ride at 20 km/ph in the right hand lane. A side effect of BFS is frequent use of the horn. The best treatment: A good, strong vehicle such as a pickup. How many of you folks suffer from BFS and how often?

Edited by Thaiboxer