Dmax, Vigo Or Triton

Lobin

Correct me if i'm wrong...

But i think the Vigo is not the only one that is going to role over when doing that manouvre used in that swedish test..

Probably all of them will. Even the Thai Mitsibushi :o

I´ve heard about only the Hilux Vigo has this problem....

see the video :

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/tvtv/071031-toyota-hilux

I think I will buy the Nissan Navara LE 4x4 KingCab.

Bagsida

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the video.

But these pick-ups that are tested are for the European market.. They have different specifications.

Like stability- systems.

Not found on 1 Thai pick-up i believe.

Toyota stopped the delivery of the Hilux Vigo in Europe already.

The Mercedes A-Class was also tested with the same standard - after the "Moose-Test" they gave the statement, that they not know about this problem and later the said, yes we knew, but we thought it would not be so critical - so I think Toyota had a similar thinking about this test.

The standard is international ISO 3888-2 .

Bagsida

I know about the Hilux..

I'm talkingt about the other brands.

Will all the Thai models pass this test??

And i'm not talking about the European version... The Thai ones.

That´s a good question - I worked over 20 years for the automotive industry (R&D=Research & Development) that´s why I know some more details about testing. The ISO 3888-2 test is international and shure all pick up´s in different versions will be tested before they come on the market, but not shure what the construction departments will do or can do with the test results.

Many times it is a decision of the marketing and not of the engineers - they all the time try to get the best security etc. but get thwarted from the budget - actually we speak about a economization of only 1 Cent per car or less.

The only arguments to invest more money for the security (and other features) are shares of the market, legal risks and reputation of the brand - that´s a hard business and I am not shure if the brands fit out the pick-up´s in Thailand with the security features we would think they would be necessary - Thailand is the seconds largest pick-up market in the world and the cars have to be cheap, but for average Thai customers and even for Farangs living in Thailand the cars are not really cheap, but like we see a cheap or cheaper quality.

Bagsida

Edited by Bagsida

Bagsida, what part of the automotive industry did u work with?

i futher agree, all engineers would love to build a supercar or even a super truck haha, in the end it all comes down to budget, reality and ofcourse top management, purchasing and engineering decisions.

Bagsida, what part of the automotive industry did u work with?.....

I worked 10 years for a former German (now has an American owner) car radio manufacturer in Germany which also developed and produced the "blackboxes" for airbags etc. - there I made myself these testings like vibration, humidity, hot, cold, transportation test etc..

The last 10 years I worked for a french manufacturer on the German research & development platform for car interior systems like dash boards, seats etc. where a also made airbag test, sunlight test, environment test etc.

Bagsida

• 7 months later...
I have a Triton 2.5 4WD myself. Chose it because I love the looks and a couple of years ago everybody else seemed to have Vigo's or Dmax's.

I am surprised that you say the Vigo interior lets it down as I quite rate it, marginally better than the Triton imo.

The Dmax is just a cheap plastic mess inside.

The engine(Triton) is plenty powerful enough for me but a friend has the 3.2 and that really does go like siht off a shovel.

Handling wise it has never let me down and has handled tricky situations on and off road without drama. I have never had a 4WD before and the way it pulled me out of a muddy paddy one time was great as I was imagining a long walk and paying a local to drag me out with his tractor.

Fuel consumption was a pleasant surprise, averages between 14 and 17 kms per litre. I have a cover on the back which helps about 2 km/l I'd guess.

Not sure about the silver wheel arch trim as I have grey on my black Triton. Maybe they are not an option now.

Hi apetley... Is your 2.5 Triton 4x4 manual or auto ? you say it has plenty power for you so I assume it's most likely a manual ?

I am thinking about getting the Triton 4x4 but it will have to be auto for me as I really dislike pushing in and out a clutch every five seconds in traffic jams.

my worry is will the auto box sup up too much of the 2.5 engines power ?

dude my 3.2 standard autogearbox is handling way over 200's! about 320flywheel 650nm of torque. just now i am modifing my torque converter, otherwise dude dont worry about it. u will have no problems.

but i do recommend getting the 3.2, as the 2.5 for so much dead weight will be slow.