Four Burmese Die In Execution-style Killing In Surat Thani

sbk

Last Updated 06/02/2008, 04:57:27

Four migrant workers from Burma have been murdered on a rubber plantation in southern Thailand.

Police say the two men and two women were bound with their hands behind their backs and shot at point blank range in Surat Thani.

Their bodies were found inside their living quarters on the plantation.

The police have declined to speculate on a motive or suspect in the killings.

Source: Radio Australia

I wonder how many death's of Burmese workers goes un-reported?? If anyone has ever stayed at the Mandalay resort in Koh Samui, they will know that 98 percent of the staff are from Burma. Having stayed there 3 years ago and heard some of their stories left me with tears in my eyes.

They are treated like sh@t, they have no rights what so ever and if they get too out of hand they get dealt with !!

What can a simple person like myself do to help these mis-treatment, under paid Burmese workers??

Start an anti-bad-treatment-fundation that only focuses on the Burmese, or you can call Amnesty Internatioal or you can share some of your own wealth with them...

Life is tough but I am sure that it is better here for them than back where they came from...

Feel sorry about these 4 souls though, I hope justice will prevail...

And yet they keep coming, a few weeks ago there was a report of a boat full of Burmese immigrants that sank and they all died. The distrust and dislike of Burmese throughout Thailand is legend, I imagine the Burmese feel the same about the Thais, the Thais about the Cambodians and vice versa etc etc. Until the region as a whole can get past their hatreds then, no, I don't hold out much hope for poor migrant workers.