Good Indian Curry

miltonbentley

Tried out the Royal India for the first time in its new location (in the small bars Soi just past the UN Irish). Given the interest by many poster in Indian cuisine I thought I would post a report.

Firstly the decor which although simple is a million times better than in the shabby old location of Charoenpratet road.

We ordered the standard chicken curry (good), mutton rogan josh (excellent), aloo gobi (excellent/), dahl makhani (good) along with naan and rice.

I was very impressed and lovers of British style curries will find plenty of familiar dishes to their taste.

Overall top marks all round and I will be returning to try the tandoori dishes in the near future.

No burgers on the menu though which given that Chiang Mai has become the burger capital of the world I found slightly odd :o

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought that the Royal India was the best Indian restaurant in town, so I'm glad that they are back.

As far as burgers go, people just don't seem to get it; The reason that Chiang Mai expats are so obsessed with burgers has nothing to do being burger gourmets - We just want a decent one for the few times we get a craving.

After all, last time I looked, Burger King was very close to winning the Thai Visa poll (only Woody's had more points). That doesn't say a lot for the other choices around here to me! :o

Totally agree...the chicken tikki masala is very good and the naan is probably best in town. Very convenient location compared to the old locale. I usually hop between Royal and Le Spice for indian. I save about 20-30 baht going to Royal so end up there more often.

Only ate at Royal once (in Dec.), and had a meat Thali.

Quite good, but the two meat curries were viscously over-salted (and I don't mind salty food).

Good ingredients, though.

I enjoy the Bombay - especially the sag paneer. The dosas are weak there.

Tried Curry Pot in Central last week. Had five dishes - nice flavours - definitely a touch of Thai, but still connected with the 'need-for-curry button'. So much authentic oil on top, I couldn't tell if the dishes were authentic Indian or authentic Thai!

Totally agree...the chicken tikki masala is very good and the naan is probably best in town. Very convenient location compared to the old locale. I usually hop between Royal and Le Spice for indian. I save about 20-30 baht going to Royal so end up there more often.

Yes, the 'Royal India' family now have a smart little place with (relatively) easy parking near by and excellent northern Indian cuisine at very reasonable prices. It's a shame they hung on so long at the old place on Charoenprathet, where they (like so many other small CM businesses) were killed by very high rents and a difficult landlord.

Bombay (just off CM Gate on the left before the hospital) is good southern Indian, very friendly and Very good value but parking is a challenge, tho better in that respect than Le Spice, which, sorry, I feel is only so-so.

Hinlay Curry (when you can find it, next door to Floral Condo) is excellent in every way of course.

Bombay (just off CM Gate on the left before the hospital) is good southern Indian, very friendly and Very good value but parking is a challenge, tho better in that respect than Le Spice, which, sorry, I feel is only so-so.

just left of CM gate means ??? north of chiang mai gate? i went looking for this place once and could not find. anyone got a description of where this place is???

South (outside) of Chiang Mai gate. With the gate behind you, cross the moat and turn right. And where the walking street veers to the left, turn a sharper left - about 50 meters up on the left

errr ok, so it is located in the old city north of Chiang Mai gate on Propaklao Rd?

South (outside) of Chiang Mai gate. With the gate behind you, cross the moat and turn right. And where the walking street veers to the left, turn a sharper left - about 50 meters up on the left

errr ok, so it is located in the old city north of Chiang Mai gate on Propaklao Rd?

No - it is outside the city (South) - 50 meters up on Suriwong rd, on the left

I ate lunch at the Royal India today and the vegetarian Thali has indeed changed from the old location. One of my biggest complaints was that they never changed it before, so I hope that it will continue to vary from day to day.

Much cleaner and more pleasant place to eat than before! :o

the area with all the rasta-type bars.

go north into the small soi off ratwithi rd that runs along the western border of the irish pub, then make a left into the big parking lot directly across from eagle house 2. pass 'babylon' (formerly the rasta cafe) on your right, then the new location of 'roots rock reggae' and you're there. make sure to stop into cafe del sol for cocktails afterwards. amy from chicago is said to make the best cocktails in town. also getting good reports is 'zoe in yellow' for vegan gourmet food, if you're into that sort of thing.

salsa kitchen is also really excellent for mexican/caribbean food.

Tried Royal India, found it passable but for me it doesn't come up to Le Spice's standards. Unexciting north Indian menu that looks pretty much identical to every other northern Indian menu in town. I only had 3 dishes on this first visit, and look forward to further testing in the near future.

Dined at Le Spice for perhaps the 11th or 12th time last week, every dish was thoroughly enjoyable. The tandoori chicken is among the best I've tasted in Thailand. The lamb kebab is also excellent.

Tried Hinlay Curry House with a few friends recently and all the dishes we tried turned out to be rather bland and uninteresting. Only some dishes are Indian, by the way; the menu includes Thai, Burmese and Malaysian curries as well, which is fine but none of these we tried blew us away either - perhaps they're trying too many styles? The owner is Thai, has no Indian, Burmese or Malaysian background and little restaurant experience, but his interest in these cuisines is keen - when he's not busy with his several other businesses. Hinlay is a Burmese word meaning 'small curry'. Very .limited seating, it's tucked away in a corner of the Thai owner's massive residential compound.

Tried Royal India, found it passable but for me it doesn't come up to Le Spice's standards.

Dined at Le Spice for perhaps the 11th or 12th time last week, every dish was thoroughly enjoyable. The tandoori chicken is among the best I've tasted in Thailand. The lamb kebab is also excellent.

Thanks. I've been meaning to go to Le Spice, but Royal India is more convienient. This gives me motivation to actually check it out! :o

Back in CM for 3 weeks now and discovered Le Spice. Excellent food, half the cost of the one I used to use above McDonalds. Happy to deliver take aways to what ever bar you are in!

Just finished a chicken vindaloo with bombay potato for breakfast that i had from there! Thats made up for the poor valentines size set meal of last night!

Back in CM for 3 weeks now and discovered Le Spice. Excellent food, half the cost of the one I used to use above McDonalds. Happy to deliver take aways to what ever bar you are in!

Just finished a chicken vindaloo with bombay potato for breakfast that i had from there! Thats made up for the poor valentines size set meal of last night!

Yes, Le Spice is quite reasonably priced, esp given the quality of the food and what is arguably the nicest ambiance of any Indian or pseudo-Indian resto in town :o

The Indian restaurant above the MacD closed down a few months ago. They were ok but yes, abit pricey for the portions they were offering. Nice view of the Night Bazaar though!

I dropped by Royal India the other night and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. The veggie thali was very fresh and tasty. The portion was more than ample for a very reasonable 99 baht. 3 dishes, raita, rice and a nice naan.

I ate at Le spice 10 days ago or so and have to say round 1 of the Veggie Thali Smackdown goes convincingly to Royal india. Reserve full judgement until eating a wide range of dishes and visiting each restaurant at least 3 times............