Good Indian Curry

miltonbentley

quote name='DaMan' date='2008-02-15 23:09:30' post='1820820']

I ate at Le spice 10 days ago or so and have to say round 1 of the Veggie Thali Smackdown goes convincingly to Royal India.

Maybe our next voting poll? :o

I can easily set up a voting poll if you like but we have a limited number of choices:

Royal Bombay

Le Spice

Hinley

Any others I have missed?

CB

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dined at Le Spice for perhaps the 11th or 12th time last week, every dish was thoroughly enjoyable. The tandoori chicken is among the best I've tasted in Thailand. The lamb kebab is also excellent.

Delighted to be part of a fan club that has more members here than the sole fan that at times it has felt like I have been.

I ate at Le spice 10 days ago or so and have to say round 1 of the Veggie Thali Smackdown goes convincingly to Royal India.

Maybe our next voting poll? :D

I can easily set up a voting poll if you like but we have a limited number of choices:

Royal Bombay

Le Spice

Hinley

CB

Royal India CB and then there is Bombay Restaurant. Taj is closed down. What else? that muslim restaurant near O'Malleys? Also heard there is indian food at the Chedi Hotel? UG might add some place one his so many friends recommended which we don't know about. :o

Tried the Muslim one last Apil whilst 'wetting my babies head'. Recall it being excellent, though was rather the worse for wear to be sure. Have tried to confirm my judgement, but it has allways been closed when I have gone back. I think the answer is to get a 4pm start on the beer, then pitch up there around 10 ish.

Not allowed so many afternoon sessions having a familly now!

Iain

if you're going to do a poll on the local Indian restaurants, you need to include Punjab. It's on the tiny soi parallel to and north of Loi Kroi Road. It's signposted off of Kampangdin Rd, just before the Duang Tawan Hotel. Lots of fresh food, nothing microwaved, like at the other Indian restaurants mentioned above. Usually closed on Sundays. The only downside is the very uncomfortable chairs.

I tried the Curry Pot in Central, but was disapointed. I like my chicken off the bone, and felt the curry was purely there to disguise the poor quality of the meat!

I spotted this new place yesterday , thinking to ask if somebody did try it allready .

Not so good heh ? , maybe I will still give it a try though !

I tried the Curry Pot in Central, but was disapointed. I like my chicken off the bone, and felt the curry was purely there to disguise the poor quality of the meat!

I spotted this new place yesterday , thinking to ask if somebody did try it allready .

Not so good heh ? , maybe I will still give it a try though !

i had it only once and hence not qualified enough to make a comment. but will go ahead anyways :D . its awful. but i only had it once there. so don't take my word for it. :o

Royal Bombay

Le Spice

Hinley

CB

Royal India CB and then there is Bombay Restaurant. Taj is closed down. What else? that muslim restaurant near O'Malleys? Also heard there is indian food at the Chedi Hotel? UG might add some place one his so many friends recommended which we don't know about. :o

I think the Indian cuisine at The Chedi is excellent, easily tops them all. Cheap charlies, beware, it's pricey. I can't afford to eat there often. Have you tried Le Spice yet? Would like to hear your opinion. I need to give Royal India another go.

Royal Bombay

Le Spice

Hinley

CB

I think the Indian cuisine at The Chedi is excellent, easily tops them all. Cheap charlies, beware, it's pricey. I can't afford to eat there often. Have you tried Le Spice yet? Would like to hear your opinion. I need to give Royal India another go.

Correct re all of the above. The Chedi has 2 full time Indian chefs, the portions are generous and the excellent breads over-generous. Yes, it's pricey but note the discount card giving expats 20% off food AND beverage!! Almost certainly the most valuable discount card in town.

The service is dam_n near perfect, possibly 2nd only to the Mandarin O'Dhara in my view. And The Chedi ambience in the old British Consulate building is superb.

Is that the one near the Night Bazaar and the super expensive Italian restaurant?

Come on, U, U sell maps doncha?

The Chedi is at the eastern end of Sridornchai Rd at the T junction with Charoenprathet. Also on that junction (on your left as you come down Sridornchai) is a vastly over-rated Italian restaurant which is certainly expensive and not in any way super.

The pompous little fat man who runs it hates children, refuses to serve small portions and berates anyone of any age who leaves anything on their plate. He cheats on the wine and is basically a disgrace to his profession.

The Chedi is at the eastern end of Sridornchai Rd at the T junction with Charoenprathet. Also on that junction (on your left as you come down Sridornchai) is a vastly over-rated Italian restaurant which is certainly expensive and not in any way super.

The pompous little fat man who runs it hates children, refuses to serve small portions and berates anyone of any age who leaves anything on their plate. He cheats on the wine and is basically a disgrace to his profession.

How does he "cheat on the wine"?

Is that the one near the Night Bazaar and the super expensive Italian restaurant?

Come on, U, U sell maps doncha?

I do sell maps, but I'm glad that I didn't use one.

I enjoyed your response and mini-review way too much! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Correct re all of the above. The Chedi has 2 full time Indian chefs, the portions are generous and the excellent breads over-generous. Yes, it's pricey but note the discount card giving expats 20% off food AND beverage!! Almost certainly the most valuable discount card in town.

The service is dam_n near perfect, possibly 2nd only to the Mandarin O'Dhara in my view. And The Chedi ambience in the old British Consulate building is superb.

2 indian chefs is good - if they are under instruction to cook authentic indian food - not stuff for farang or thai tastes. Can anyone who's been there attest to this? Also would appreciate some inkling of the price range per head. Is the discount card offered to every customer at the restaurant, if not where to apply?

2 indian chefs is good - if they are under instruction to cook authentic indian food - not stuff for farang or thai tastes. Can anyone who's been there attest to this? Also would appreciate some inkling of the price range per head. Is the discount card offered to every customer at the restaurant, if not where to apply?

Hi

I've been there many times and I'm a-testing. A good 2 course lunch without alcohol will give you just a little change from a 1,000b note if I recall correctly.

Ask for the charming GM, Eleanor Hardy from Edinburgh, and I am sure she will happily take your application for a card.

He presents the bottle ordered and you check the label and he gives you the small sample to check. It's all fine at this point.

Then he spirits it away and comes back a minute later with the same bottle with the same amount missing and pours for everyone. This, the second wine (in the original bottle) is the plonk.

This happened to a very wine-savvy local farang businesswoman who was entertaining important clients. She sussed it immediately but was too embarassed to make a scene in front of her own guests. She also knew from observing him in the past how loud and aggressive he can be.

He presents the bottle ordered and you check the label and he gives you the small sample to check. It's all fine at this point.

Then he spirits it away and comes back a minute later with the same bottle with the same amount missing and pours for everyone. This, the second wine (in the original bottle) is the plonk.

This happened to a very wine-savvy local farang businesswoman who was entertaining important clients. She sussed it immediately but was too embarassed to make a scene in front of her own guests. She also knew from observing him in the past how loud and aggressive he can be.

I'm speechless ...

Back to the topic, I'll vouch for authenticity of The Chedi's Indian cuisine, the equal of any I've had anywhere in India, the UK, or Singapore, for example. Prices 100-200 baht per dish, on average.

First let me say I know next to nothing about Indian food. But I took a few visiting American friends there , who all happen to be yoga fanatics and have spent periods of time in India and Nepal. By coincidence they had stumbled across Royal India a few days before, while yours truly was still asking for directions on this forum :o

Their vote was for Le Spice which they thought was heaps better - no contest they thought.

Next on my list is the Chedi Hotel - heard good things about it!

. . . . . Indian food. But I took a few visiting American friends there , who all . . . have spent periods of time in India and Nepal. By coincidence they had stumbled across Royal India a few days before . . . . .

Their vote was for Le Spice which they thought was heaps better - no contest they thought.

. . . . .

As one who has been a sometimes lonely fan of Le Spice on this forum, I am delighted to hear that.

. . . . . Indian food. But I took a few visiting American friends there , who all . . . have spent periods of time in India and Nepal. By coincidence they had stumbled across Royal India a few days before . . . . .

. . . . .

As one who has been a sometimes lonely fan of Le Spice on this forum, I am delighted to hear that.

Not so lonely now. The place is packed most nights. I think the food is better now than the first couple of months it opened, and the service is better too. Perhaps some members who tried Le Spice during its opening phase would be more impressed nowadays.

I dropped by Royal India the other night and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. The veggie thali was very fresh and tasty. The portion was more than ample for a very reasonable 99 baht. 3 dishes, raita, rice and a nice naan.

I ate at Le Spice 10 days ago or so and have to say round 1 of the Veggie Thali Smackdown goes convincingly to Royal India. Reserve full judgement until eating a wide range of dishes and visiting each restaurant at least 3 times............

I checked out Le Spice today and was most impressed by the decor. Very nice looking restaurant and good service. More expensive than the Royal India, but both are reasonable for what you get.

At Royal India, you probably get twice as much food for the same price - 99 baht for a Vegetarian Thalee - and I am always full for that price. At Le Spice, you should be sure to add some Samosas and Nan bread or you will leave hungry. The cooking at Le Spice is a lot more "fancy" - lighter dishes and more care taken with the cooking - but somehow, I prefer the rougher, homemade, style at the Royal India. I like the style of curry they use much better and that makes a big difference.

I enjoy both places, but would tend to go to the Royal India more often as it is more convienient and cheaper and tastier for my likes.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Tried out the Royal India for the first time in its new location (in the small bars Soi just past the UN Irish). ...

Can you elaborate/specify somewhat more on "(in the small bars Soi just past the UN Irish)" re the location? Am not a CM resident, but reasonably familiar with it.

Tried out the Royal India for the first time in its new location (in the small bars Soi just past the UN Irish). ...

Can you elaborate/specify somewhat more on "(in the small bars Soi just past the UN Irish)" re the location? Am not a CM resident, but reasonably familiar with it.

Happy to help. I was there today and as before the food was excellent and reasonably priced. Shame about the screaming masonry drill out back somewhere at peak lunch time, and the less than fresh tablecovers but, ah well! This is very very good & fan cooled and NOT The Chedi and NOT their prices, huh?i!!

Go north along Moon Muang Rd (inside the moat on the east side) and pass Thapae Gate. Take the next main left which is Rachawitee Rd. At the first traffic lights turn right and immediately turn right again (1st gap in the sidewalk) into the 'interesting area' of many bars and live music places.

Royal India is about 30m in on your left. Pass it and there is usually parking spaces along there on the left.

Their new Thai waitress was not on top form today. Best ensure your order is understood (in Thai or English) by the Indian proprietor or his wife.

I dropped by Royal India the other night and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. The veggie thali was very fresh and tasty. The portion was more than ample for a very reasonable 99 baht. 3 dishes, raita, rice and a nice naan.

I ate at Le Spice 10 days ago or so and have to say round 1 of the Veggie Thali Smackdown goes convincingly to Royal India. Reserve full judgement until eating a wide range of dishes and visiting each restaurant at least 3 times............

I checked out Le Spice today and was most impressed by the decor. Very nice looking restaurant and good service. More expensive than the Royal India, but both are reasonable for what you get.

At Royal India, you probably get twice as much food for the same price - 99 baht for a Vegetarian Thalee - and I am always full for that price. At Le Spice, you should be sure to add some Samosas and Nan bread or you will leave hungry. The cooking at Le Spice is a lot more "fancy" - lighter dishes and more care taken with the cooking - but somehow, I prefer the rougher, homemade, style at the Royal India. I like the style of curry they use much better and that makes a big difference.

I enjoy both places, but would tend to go to the Royal India more often as it is more convienient and cheaper and tastier for my likes.

Le Spice is not really a thali/all you can eat kind of place, much more oriented towards a la carte so unless you're ordering a la carte it's difficult to compare them fairly, I think, on that basis.

Which curries did you have at Royal India that were comparable to Le Spice? Of the Royal India dishes I tried that more or less corresponded with what I've had at Le Spice (chicken tandoori, aloo gobi, palak paneer, to name a few), each was more bland by comparison. More quantity yes but ....

At Royal India, you probably get twice as much food for the same price . . . and I am always full for that price. At Le Spice, you should be sure to add some Samosas and Nan bread or you will leave hungry. The cooking at Le Spice is a lot more "fancy" - lighter dishes and more care taken with the cooking - but somehow, I prefer the rougher, homemade, style at the Royal India. I like the style of curry they use much better and that makes a big difference.

I enjoy both places. . . . .

. . . . . I was [at Royal India] today and as before the food was excellent and reasonably priced. Shame about the screaming masonry drill out back somewhere at peak lunch time, and the less than fresh tablecovers but, ah well! This is very very good & fan cooled and NOT The Chedi and NOT their prices, huh?i!!

. . . . .

Their new Thai waitress was not on top form today. Best ensure your order is understood (in Thai or English) by the Indian proprietor or his wife.

A strange alignment of the stars must have been in play yesterday. I too picked the same day to check out Royal India, in my case for the first time, as was the case with U.G. at Le Spice. And like Fottf, I was at Royal India at lunch time and shared the screaming masonry drill experience, the (far) less than fresh table covers and the waitress who was not on top form.

I agree 100 percent with both U.G. and Fottf, except for U.G.'s preference for the rougher, homemade style at the Royal India. I like the two places both too, but I prefer -- creature of habit, perhaps? -- Le Spice. Among other things, the larger portions at Royal India meant no room to finish the same three things that I often order for lunch at Le Spice, chicken tandoori, dahl and naan.