Good Indian Curry

miltonbentley

Le Spice is not really a thali/all you can eat kind of place, much more oriented towards a la carte so unless you're ordering a la carte it's difficult to compare them fairly, I think, on that basis.

Which curries did you have at Royal India that were comparable to Le Spice? Of the Royal India dishes I tried that more or less corresponded with what I've had at Le Spice (chicken tandoori, aloo gobi, palak paneer, to name a few), each was more bland by comparison. More quantity yes but ....

The a la carte point makes sense. Next time, I'll try it that way at Le Spice.

As far as the curries being more bland at Royal India, maybe I prefer them that way? I usually like very mild curries such as Japanese style.

One thing I can say for sure is that all three of the curries I had at Le Spice had the exact same taste, but with different ingredients (the curry taste - which I didn't really like - totally dominated the other ingredients). The three curries at Royal India all tasted different from each other and I much prefer 3 different dishes to what tastes like one when it comes to Indian food. :o

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried out the Royal India for the first time in its new location (in the small bars Soi just past the UN Irish). ...

Can you elaborate/specify somewhat more on "(in the small bars Soi just past the UN Irish)" re the location? Am not a CM resident, but reasonably familiar with it.

Happy to help. I was there today and as before the food was excellent and reasonably priced. Shame about the screaming masonry drill out back somewhere at peak lunch time, and the less than fresh tablecovers but, ah well! This is very very good & fan cooled and NOT The Chedi and NOT their prices, huh?i!!

Go north along Moon Muang Rd (inside the moat on the east side) and pass Thapae Gate. Take the next main left which is Rachawitee Rd. At the first traffic lights turn right and immediately turn right again (1st gap in the sidewalk) into the 'interesting area' of many bars and live music places.

Royal India is about 30m in on your left. Pass it and there is usually parking spaces along there on the left.

Their new Thai waitress was not on top form today. Best ensure your order is understood (in Thai or English) by the Indian proprietor or his wife.

Thank you.

My 5 days next week in CM promise to be a feast of indian lunches: I intend to try the Chedi, le Spice, Royal India and also the Punjab (of which there was a solitary mention) - all for the first time.

(There's no indian restaurant that I know of in Chiang Rai, which explains my lunhing plans for next week. However just today I noticed a banner advertizing that one will be opening right on the main road - opposite the turning to the bus station.)

I think we are missing a trick here. The value of a good cuury house is also in the delivery service. I apperntly have been drinkin to much of late and am currently watching the League Cup final at home. Dont really care for either team, but good excuse for a curry delivery....

The missus has agreed as long as she gets an Aloo Gobi and vegi curry, so giving the Le Spice a go! Ordered 5 minutes ago.....

Iain

Just had the mutton roganjosh from Rimping with a garlic naan..Superb. The best Indian in town by a mile. :o

As for their onion baji's just ask ThaiPauly..

I've never seen a man devour anything so quick in my life.. :D

Are these from the Deli at Rimping ?

Just had the mutton roganjosh from Rimping with a garlic naan..Superb. The best Indian in town by a mile. :o

As for their onion baji's just ask ThaiPauly..

I've never seen a man devour anything so quick in my life.. :D

Are these from the Deli at Rimping ?

Negative. From the freezer. Then either nuke em or pop em in the oven..Microwave seems to do the job very well indeed.. :D

In London & Paris deli s I've come across a frozen packet/product of Malaysian manufacture which is varieties of paratha s that are easily heated in a frying pan. Geography suggests these would also be exported to Thailand. Does this ring any bells with someone in relation to a CM shop/supermarket?

Is there, by the way, an indian grocery shop in CM?

I'm going to try to take back a frozen something, as recommended, from Rimping. But the 3 hr drive back to Chiangrai means it will be thawed or close - so just for that evening's dinner.

Tried out the Royal India for the first time in its new location (in the small bars Soi just past the UN Irish). ...

Can you elaborate/specify somewhat more on "(in the small bars Soi just past the UN Irish)" re the location? Am not a CM resident, but reasonably familiar with it.

Happy to help. I was there today and as before the food was excellent and reasonably priced. Shame about the screaming masonry drill out back somewhere at peak lunch time, and the less than fresh tablecovers but, ah well! This is very very good & fan cooled and NOT The Chedi and NOT their prices, huh?i!!

Go north along Moon Muang Rd (inside the moat on the east side) and pass Thapae Gate. Take the next main left which is Rachawitee Rd. At the first traffic lights turn right and immediately turn right again (1st gap in the sidewalk) into the 'interesting area' of many bars and live music places.

Royal India is about 30m in on your left. Pass it and there is usually parking spaces along there on the left.

Their new Thai waitress was not on top form today. Best ensure your order is understood (in Thai or English) by the Indian proprietor or his wife.

Went there today,and found it with the directions above ....no problem.

Excellent masala,and a crackin' naan!

Thankfully no masonry drill!!!!!

Good menu

Planned to eat at Royal India last night for fist time and didn't even make it inside as there was a TV blaring out some local drama so ate at the Salsa Kitchen instead and very nice too but unless RI gets shot of that bloody TV I'll stick with the peace and tranquility, and good food of course, that Hinlay provides.

I went to Bombay again tonight - fantastic. Fresh, light, tasty, cheap. Great.

Ate a lot of food, and don't feel stuffed - not heavy or oily. Really good.

Been to Royal a few times now, and Bombay has been better every time.

A friend was sick from all the oil and salt at Royal.

The one thing about Bombay is that it is a limited menu. Three different chicken curries, and all the rest vegetarian (and I cannot recommend the dosas - not so nice actually)

Check it out.

OK, wife and I tried Royal India tonight after reading about it in this forum. A couple of months back we tried Bombay for the same reason. Both quite (very?) disappointing dining experiences. I guess it just shows you, different strokes for different folks.

Our Royal India review: The lady running the place tonight (the owner?) had a personality totally unsuited to a hospitality business. She reminded me of one of those John Cleese training videos (ie. how NOT to do things). She was so unpleasant that the Mrs and I had a quick vote as to whether to walk out as she was finishing the process of taking our order.

Yes the restaurant was clean - if you ignored the table cloth (which looked like it hadn't seen the inside of a washing machine since it left the store).

We ordered one non-veg set and the vindaloo and drinks. The food was very average Indian, not even the 'safron' rice was particularly palatable. The only item that I would give more than 6/10 would be the naan bread. The piece of tandoori chicken that came with the Set had to be sent back to cook the inner half of the portion. We wouldn't go back in a fit.

OK, wife and I tried Royal India tonight after reading about it in this forum. A couple of months back we tried Bombay for the same reason. Both quite (very?) disappointing dining experiences. I guess it just shows you, different strokes for different folks.

Repeat after me. Le Spice . . . Le Spice . . . Le Spice . . . Your eyes are getting heavy, very heavy. Your taste buds are getting satiated, very satiated . . . Le Spice . . . Le Spice . . .

Repeat after me. Le Spice . . . Le Spice . . . Le Spice . . . Your eyes are getting heavy, very heavy. Your taste buds are getting satiated, very satiated . . . Le Spice . . . Le Spice . . .

The last time my wife and i ate there they used tomato sauce (ketchup) in the curries..Not good..Edible though..We like to eat we do.. :o

Great naan's, samosa's and lassi's I'd have to say. The hosts are most gracious as well (from the south, not far from where my wife comes from). :D

The last time my wife and i ate there they used tomato sauce (ketchup) in the curries..Not good..Edible though..We like to eat we do.. :o

Great naan's, samosa's and lassi's I'd have to say. The hosts are most gracious as well (from the south, not far from where my wife comes from). :D

Heavy . . . heavy . . . :D

Sorry to hear about your experience with the curries. In fact, I never have the curries myself. Not out of ever having had a problem with them, but because I have other things I prefer. Great tandoori chicken and, yes, naan and lassies, of both the salty and cute varieties.

So where is this "Bombay" restaurant at ??

I've never heard of it. Then again, i don't get out that much. :o

See posts 9-15 in this thread about finding Bombay.

Also, their excellent sag paneer is, for some reason, not on the menu. But ask for it - great!

And they have a "egg fried rice" on the menu - we asked if it was Thai or Indian style - he said "Thai, but we can make it Indian style for you!"

So we had that too - also great.

Nice guy with good english and a quirky sense of humour...

The food was very average Indian, not even the 'safron' rice was particularly palatable.

It is my experience that "average Indian" is the best that you will do in Chiang Mai - or Bangkok for that matter - however, some very knowledgeable posters disagree with me.

I'm hoping that the Chedi will finally break the just average Indian food streak! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

So where is this "Bombay" restaurant at ??

I've never heard of it. Then again, i don't get out that much. :D

See posts 9-15 in this thread about finding Bombay.

Also, their excellent sag paneer is, for some reason, not on the menu. But ask for it - great!

And they have a "egg fried rice" on the menu - we asked if it was Thai or Indian style - he said "Thai, but we can make it Indian style for you!"

So we had that too - also great.

Nice guy with good english and a quirky sense of humour...

Thanks for your help. :o

The food was very average Indian, not even the 'safron' rice was particularly palatable.

It is my experience that "average Indian" is the best that you will do in Chiang Mai - or Bangkok for that matter - however, some very knowledgeable posters disagree with me.

I'm hoping that the Chedi will finally break the just average Indian food streak! :D

UG, the average indian food is all you would get in chiang mai. absolutely right. unless you dine at the Chedi's. as which KevinHunt has already mentioned, too many cheap charlie's around right? am one of em and i am really satisfied with Royal India, Bombay and Le Spice. Its enough :D

Bangkok on the other hand, much above average. As good as it gets but then again, i never tried Indian food in San Francisco and neither do i have friends who have :o