Good Indian Curry

miltonbentley

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time I go to Bangkok I will PM you for one or two excellent Indian restaurants (preferably near Nana Plaza) and I will go for sure! :o

UG, let me know well in advance so that i can get them good restaurants to move closer to Nana Plaza for you. :D :D

So where is this "Bombay" restaurant at ??

I've never heard of it. Then again, i don't get out that much. :o

See posts 9-15 in this thread about finding Bombay.

Mate, I've read the threads you mentioned and I'm still none the wiser.

You would have to be a rocket scientist to decipher all that lot.

Anyone have some "clear" directions on how to find Bombay Resto ???

Austhaied,

Picture speaks louder than words :D

post-29436-1204862800_thumb.jpg

Next time I go to Bangkok I will PM you for one or two excellent Indian restaurants (preferably near Nana Plaza) and I will go for sure! :o

UG, let me know well in advance so that i can get them good restaurants to move closer to Nana Plaza for you. :D :D

Sounds like I will be taking a taxi. :D

I like the Khao muk Gai near the mosque at the night bazaar. side street virtually opposite where burger king and Boots used to be. Not great with directions

This was where I used to eat it until I found a place in the Kad Suan Keaw food court that honestly was 5 times as good with bigger portions and chicken that melted in your mouth. Unfortunately, it went out of business during the Chicken Flu scare and I haven't found anothor like that since. :o

Austhaied,

You see! Easy easy!

Just outside the gate, turn around three times, stand on your head, look for the used Red Bull bottle on the ground, and you are there!

Bon Appetit!

I've never heard of it. Then again, i don't get out that much. :D

Austhaied,

You see! Easy easy!

Just outside the gate, turn around three times, stand on your head, look for the used Red Bull bottle on the ground, and you are there!

Bon Appetit!

Was that the full red bull bottle as you turn left ?? Or the half full red bull bottle as you enter Moon Muang underpass ?? :D:o:D

Last night, I was waiting for a friend in the salsa mall, and popped into Royal.

Just a Sag Paneer, and it came in under 2 minutes (Leads me to think that it had been made in advance...)

Gotta say - it was great. Rich and creamy, yet not heavy of cloying. Not too salty or anything - really great.

It was about 9:30, and it was busy. I guess the kitchen was really 'up and running'

Considering I have been down on them for so-so food, it was a very nice surprise

Edited by wjmark

Last night, I was waiting for a friend in the salsa mall, and popped into Royal.

Just a Sag Paneer, and it came in under 2 minutes (Leads me to think that it had been made in advance...)

Gotta say - it was great. Rich and creamy, yet not heavy of cloying. Not too salty or anything - really great.

It was about 9:30, and it was busy. I guess the kitchen was really 'up and running'

Considering I have been down on them for so-so food, it was a very nice surprise

Good chance it was made in advance, I believe it is one of the dishes in their Thali so they probably have a pot of the stuff going all day.

Also, their excellent sag paneer is, for some reason, not on the menu. But ask for it - great!

And they have a "egg fried rice" on the menu - we asked if it was Thai or Indian style - he said "Thai, but we can make it Indian style for you!"

So we had that too - also great.

Nice guy with good english and a quirky sense of humour...

The man at Bombay with the quirky sense of humour (right on!) is named Lek. He now has 2 internet points installed, has at last read your remarks and sends you his sincere thanks! He can't quite afford to have his menu re-printed yet so in true enterprising fashion has marked up his paneers on a blackboard as 'daily specials'!

I have asked Lek to try to provide some real Indian condiments in addition to the dry chili on the tables. At home I have good ole Sharwoods Mango Chutney (about 122b from Tops) and the very good Pataks Hot Mango (over 200b) from the same, tho Rimping say they should have it by now to. Too much to hope for at a budget restaurant. Have been spoilt by Mrs Balbir's, soi 11, Sukhumvit!

A friend brought me some real stingo Priya Mixed Vegetable Pickle from Bangkok recently. Brings back happy memories of London Indians, where the flavour of this was called 'brinjal', I think. Enjoyed them all with the great value Rang Mahal Garlic Nan, Chicken Tikka and Onion Bhaji from Rimping!

Tried out the Royal India for the first time in its new location (in the small bars Soi just past the UN Irish). Given the interest by many poster in Indian cuisine I thought I would post a report.

Firstly the decor which although simple is a million times better than in the shabby old location of Charoenpratet road.

We ordered the standard chicken curry (good), mutton rogan josh (excellent), aloo gobi (excellent/), dahl makhani (good) along with naan and rice.

I was very impressed and lovers of British style curries will find plenty of familiar dishes to their taste.

Overall top marks all round and I will be returning to try the tandoori dishes in the near future.

No burgers on the menu though which given that Chiang Mai has become the burger capital of the world I found slightly odd :o

Have you tried the new Indian at Central plaza. Lower floor where the food court is. They do real Naan bread. This in itself doesnt make it brilliant, but the menu is substantial if a little pricey. Dont do the set meal though. There a bit small.

Tried out the Royal India for the first time in its new location (in the small bars Soi just past the UN Irish). Given the interest by many poster in Indian cuisine I thought I would post a report.

Firstly the decor which although simple is a million times better than in the shabby old location of Charoenpratet road.

We ordered the standard chicken curry (good), mutton rogan josh (excellent), aloo gobi (excellent/), dahl makhani (good) along with naan and rice.

I was very impressed and lovers of British style curries will find plenty of familiar dishes to their taste.

Overall top marks all round and I will be returning to try the tandoori dishes in the near future.

No burgers on the menu though which given that Chiang Mai has become the burger capital of the world I found slightly odd :D

Have you tried the new Indian at Central plaza. Lower floor where the food court is. They do real Naan bread. This in itself doesnt make it brilliant, but the menu is substantial if a little pricey. Dont do the set meal though. There a bit small.

Would that be "Central Airport Plaza" ? or "Central Kad Suan Kaew" ?

With only two shopping malls you think they would have named them a bit differently..

That's why i love this place, it's just as mad as i am. :o

How were the curries there anyway ?

No burgers on the menu though which given that Chiang Mai has become the burger capital of the world I found slightly odd :D

Would that be "Central Airport Plaza" ? or "Central Kad Suan Kaew" ?

With only two shopping malls you think they would have named them a bit differently..

That's why i love this place, it's just as mad as i am. :o

How were the curries there anyway ?

That would be Kad Suan Kaew. I have made a habit of correcting any friends who call the airport place "central" Not that there wrong, but there use to be a Ram 1 and a Ram2 hospital and look at the confussion that caused. Kad Suan Kaew was there 1st, so in my books thats central and The other one is Airport Plaza. Spread the word when they let you out. :D

The curry I had was pretty good. The Nann was as good as the ones you get in London, and we all know thats where Indian food originated.

• 2 months later...

the best Indian restaurant in Chiang Mai, i would say " Le Spcie", best food, nice ambience with that greeny garden at the back... friendly service which make me feel so at home. the price is reasonable...... its a place i go when i need uplifting food...... tandoori chickem, mutton ribs and the vindaloos are my favourist......... the owner recognise my frequent visit and has trated me extra special....... i have also organised a few get-together with friends a few times.... love it love it love it love it I would die if i go home without Le Spice

thumps up... much recommended......

I've tried to find Le spice on maps ,searches,etc.

Can someone please direct me :o

google le spice chiang mai and you will get address and phone number easily, then call them if you do not understand the address. this works, I just did it

Turn left off Thapae Road into the Night Bazaar street. Take the second left (the one before the four-way intersection where the Burger King is). Le Spice is some 60 meters down, on the right hand side.

Turn left off Thapae Road into the Night Bazaar street. Take the second left (the one before the four-way intersection where the Burger King is). Le Spice is some 60 meters down, on the right hand side.

Regardless of which direction I am coming from? :D

/ Priceless

Regardless of which direction I am coming from? :o

Hopefully you are only coming from one direction as Thapae Road is a one-way street.

/ Priceless

It does not matter if you are coming from the bottom up or the top down.

When you arrive, go south on ChangKlan Road (night bazar street).

Hopefully you are only coming from one direction as Thapae Road is a one-way street.

Exactly. Priceless, a few stones and a scattering of dust are falling from the top of your pedestal. Be careful you don't slip -- remember, it's a long, long way to the ground! :D

Exactly. Priceless, a few stones and a scattering of dust are falling from the top of your pedestal. Be careful you don't slip -- remember, it's a long, long way to the ground! :D

I tend to walk a lot, and as far as I've been told Thapae Rd is still two-way for pedestrians...

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Up until the other night I also put Le Spice at the top of my list however after pool the other night my friends and I decided to go eat at Omalleys however it was closed when we arrived so we saw a pakistani restautrant a few doors down 1 shop away from Hells kitchen (dont know the name as I was bladdered).

I ordered a chicken Curry and a Naan bread and 2 poppadums

the poppodoms were great and bigger than le spice

the curry was very very good and it even repeated on me the whole of the next day which confirms that its a good curry :D the Naan breads were also excellent

So now I have a new curry house to go too only problem is they are muslims so no BEER i had to nip next door but one and grab a cold one and place it just outside the restaurant and get up each time I needed a fix :o

Only thing different, I actually made it through the curry without dropping some of it down my white shirt which always seemed to happen when eating curry in Brum.

Edited by FarangCravings

I tend to walk a lot, and as far as I've been told Thapae Rd is still two-way for pedestrians...

/ Priceless

Walking is good for health, good for your wallet and saves the environment too. :o

/ Priceless

Walking is good for health, good for your wallet and saves the environment too. :o

Yeh, walking is great. You have a chance to see, learn and experience so much more. I even know a walker who learned Kwitiaw was made from rice while stopping for a chat on a walk and another one who learned street names. Walking can also teach you that there are no one way streets in Thailand.

Up until the other night I also put Le Spice at the top of my list however after pool the other night my friends and I decided to go eat at Omalleys however it was closed when we arrived so we saw a pakistani restautrant a few doors down 1 shop away from Hells kitchen . . . only problem is they are muslims so no BEER . . .

I used to love that restaurant too, but no beer is a deal killer for me. A couple of years ago they used to serve beer, but then stopped. So I stopped going.

Up until the other night I also put Le Spice at the top of my list however after pool the other night my friends and I decided to go eat at Omalleys however it was closed when we arrived so we saw a pakistani restautrant a few doors down 1 shop away from Hells kitchen . . . only problem is they are muslims so no BEER . . .

I used to love that restaurant too, but no beer is a deal killer for me. A couple of years ago they used to serve beer, but then stopped. So I stopped going.

I

yeah I dont get it the guys at le spice are muslims also and sell beer.

I must admit when they said no beer I was a bit taken aback :o