The Best Khao Soi In Cm

Crow Boy

The Great Khao Soi poll  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

beef khao soi at "kin cen" restaurant in huay kaew central plaza is by far the best/cleanest i have had and have tested quite a few. better than any street stall or other restaurant. as for vegetarian khao soi, stick with your linda mccartney burgers please! :D

on a side note really odd that all the waitresses in there are tom boys... :o

Edited by Lobin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Khao Soi is the Islam place off Charoe Phrathet road. Mostly I save my Khao Soi dining for travelling in Northern Thai towns like Vieng Haeng and Arunothai. No coconut milk, better noodles and chile paste, and the best pickled cabbage (which is my favorite ingredient).

Edited by lannarebirth

Khao Soi is good, but I can't really differentiate betweeen what is really good, and what is crap. I usually go by who gives me the biggest bowl. And how much there is in the bowl. My worst is my old school - being named and shamed here - Dara Academy - who used to serve it on a plate and for that reason they are the worst.

Also, splashability is a factor - I like my chicken off the bone, I think we've all had a drumstick fall between your chopsticks and the resulting tsunami of curry sauce goes all over your top - I like a nice white shirt and that ain't no good on Khao Soi day.

My favourite? Well you made it to the bottom of my post, so I should tell you. I like the Blue Diamond Khao Soi - they make it farang style, so it's not like something you get in many place, great big pieces of pumblin. You just have to suffer stinky backpackers who like to avoid any sort of personal hygiene/grooming product.

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

My favorite Khao Soi is the Islam place off Charoe Phrathet road. Mostly I save my Khao Soi dining for travelling in Northern Thai towns like Vieng Haeng and Arunothai. No coconut milk, better noodles and chile paste, and the best pickled cabbage (which is my favorite ingredient).

Our khao soi tastes coincide 100% :o The one off Charoen Prathet I mentioned above, it's Khao Soi Islam. Arunothai is very near Ban Luang, probably similar. I'd forgotten about Vieng Haeng, very good as well.

I agree with the above poster. The best Kow soi in CM is the Islam place near the Mosque behind the night Bazzar. They also have fantasic lamb stew and yogurt drink as well.

As for the worst Kow Soi - its probably "Just Kow soi" down the street. The taste is just off and lacking.

off subject a bit, their is an Islam Kow Soi/Tea Shop on the 1/2 way stop between Pai and Chaing Mai that is great as well. It is the one at the end.

And in Pai its "Grandmas Kow soi", which is a little hole in the wall right in between the 'Walk-in Bar" and a phoo-phoo postcard t-shrit shop on bangkok street.

As for the worst Kow Soi - its probably "Just Kow soi" down the street. The taste is just off and lacking.

In second place on the poll at this time. :o

but i wonder if the people that voted for it really thought it was the best, or maybe it was the only one they reconized in the poll?

I still dont see Kow Soi Islam in the poll.

A few things about Khao Soi....

First off, there are a few places I really enjoy here in town. And I choose based on my location at any given moment, and then also my mood: do I want a spicier Khao Soi?, a more earthy one ?, one that goes lighter on the Kathi (coco milk)?, one that is sweeter? (I choose my fav Khao Man Gai this way too, by mood, as there are a few good ones in town.)

I voted for Lam Duan myself as that's one of my all time fav's, and one that I'll actually travel for. When I'm there I'll usually go all out and eat some pumpkin french fries (fak tong tawt) and sometimes hmu sate also. That's a dang good meal that'll stick with you awhile.

When I don't feel like a long ride, I've found a place near my house down by the Nong Hoy intersection with the CM Lamphun rd and the Super Hwy (Om Muang). It helps if you read Thai, but either way here's a pic of their sign and me bowl of Khao Soi Gai. I like that this place has a full menu of many things, but KS is definitely a specialty and served by the bucketfull there. As you head toward the CM-Lamphun Rd along the Super Hwy going East (toward old Big C and away from Airport Plaza) the signs are on your left just as you are approaching the intersection with all the big shells. Just b4 the signs - see pic - hang a left down the small soi (but plenty of easy parking!) and the restaurant is there on your left. They are essentially the default commissary for CM's largest security guard force (located next door) and so they do a good turnover and product is always fresh. They also have a nice garden and homey atmosphere. Can't recommend it enough to those who find themselves on the south end of town and who are craving a quick bowl. Their recipe is med on the coco milk thickness, a slightly sweeter KS, and they have crushed peanuts which always go nice along with the pickled greens and shallots. The place is called 'Som-Sah.' Hope my directions + the pic make it clear enough to any who find themselves on this route regularly.

And after 5 yrs, it's time I make it to KS Islam. I've heard how great it is for yrs and always forget to go there. The one time I went they were closed. Indeed, will travel for most good, highly recommended food.

post-34348-1203357188_thumb.jpg

post-34348-1203357303_thumb.jpg

My favourite khao soi place is also Chiang Mai's oldest, Khao Soi Islam, on Soi Ban Haw (Charoen Prathet Soi 12) near the Ban Haw mosque. Owned and operated by Yunnanese Muslims, it's the closest to the real thing you can find in Chiang Mai.
I agree with the above poster. The best Kow soi in CM is the Islam place near the Mosque behind the night Bazzar. They also have fantasic lamb stew and yogurt drink as well.

Alrighty then -- you have grabbed my interest by the throat and given it a good shake! Gotta check it out. Are you talking about the place on that little soi almost directly across from the rotee shop where I go for breakfast once or twice a week? Not too helpful, that. In other words, to ask the question in a form that permits an answer, do you mean the restaurant that is on the right hand side (going in the one-way direction permitted for vehicular traffic) just before a small parking lot about half way down the last soi before Thapae Road when travelling north on Charoen Prathet, said soi being the one that extends off to the left from Charoen Prathet to the Night Bazaar?

I believe that's the one Rasseru. Heading N. along the W. side of the river, you go left at the last small soi just b4 you would hit Thapae. Then the mosque is 2/3 of the way down on the right. I forget whether the KS place is opposite or rt beside it though. Gonna try to hit it today. The mosque is also a cool place to catch other Thai Islam food during celebrations there. Been to a couple. Alot of it fried, but good.

My favourite khao soi place is also Chiang Mai's oldest, Khao Soi Islam, on Soi Ban Haw (Charoen Prathet Soi 12) near the Ban Haw mosque. Owned and operated by Yunnanese Muslims, it's the closest to the real thing you can find in Chiang Mai.

Alrighty then -- you have grabbed my interest by the throat and given it a good shake! Gotta check it out. Are you talking about the place on that little soi almost directly across from the rotee shop where I go for breakfast once or twice a week? Not too helpful, that. In other words, to ask the question in a form that permits an answer, do you mean the restaurant that is on the right hand side (going in the one-way direction permitted for vehicular traffic) just before a small parking lot about half way down the last soi before Thapae Road when travelling north on Charoen Prathet, said soi being the one that extends off to the left from Charoen Prathet to the Night Bazaar?

There are two places that serve khao soi on Soi Ban Haw. The one opposite the roti place is, I believe, Feuang Fah. Next door going towards the mosque is Khao Soi Islam. If you read Thai, these names are marked above the entrances. Khao soi is good at both places, slightly better at Khao Soi Islam. Both very friendly.

The place en route to Pai is in the village of Ban Mae Sae. There are two of them, one at each end of town. The one at the end comng from Chiang Mai is also a tea factory, fun to go inside and have a look around at the 19th-century cast-iron equipment rarely seen in northern Thauland tea factories these days. The one at the end of town coming from Mae Hong Son has a wider variety of things to eat. I like the khao soi at both places, but the Mae Hong Son end is tad better. Their regular kuaytiaw kai is also good.

. . . . . do you mean the restaurant that is on the right hand side (going in the one-way direction permitted for vehicular traffic) just before a small parking lot about half way down the last soi before Thapae Road when travelling north on Charoen Prathet, said soi being the one that extends off to the left from Charoen Prathet to the Night Bazaar?

There are two places that serve khao soi on Soi Ban Haw. The one opposite the roti place is, I believe, Feuang Fah. Next door going towards the mosque is Khao Soi Islam. If you read Thai, these names are marked above the entrances. Khao soi is good at both places, slightly better at Khao Soi Islam. Both very friendly. . . . .

Many thanks for that. I'm heading off there for lunch now. Unfortunately, I don't yet read enough Thai to be confident I could distinguish between the two places, but I think I understand which it is based on your directions. Just to be sure, I'll ask my friend the roti shop owner to confirm.

Many thanks for that. I'm heading off there for lunch now. Unfortunately, I don't yet read enough Thai to be confident I could distinguish between the two places, but I think I understand which it is based on your directions. Just to be sure, I'll ask my friend the roti shop owner to confirm.

if you are in doubt, just have a bowl at both and tell us what you think

. . . . . do you mean the restaurant that is on the right hand side (going in the one-way direction permitted for vehicular traffic) just before a small parking lot about half way down the last soi before Thapae Road when travelling north on Charoen Prathet, said soi being the one that extends off to the left from Charoen Prathet to the Night Bazaar?

There are two places that serve khao soi on Soi Ban Haw. The one opposite the roti place is, I believe, Feuang Fah. Next door going towards the mosque is Khao Soi Islam. If you read Thai, these names are marked above the entrances. Khao soi is good at both places, slightly better at Khao Soi Islam. Both very friendly. . . . .

Well . . . a few things to report. First, the restaurants seem to be located in a reverse relationship to what Sabaiji thought and reported, at least according to the roti shop (and why wouldn't they know?). So, Khao Soi Islam is further away from the mosque. So, I went to Khao Soi Islam, based on the name of the place, but I probably should have gone with how the locations were identified, rather than the names.

I say that because I did not care much at all for the khao soi at Khao Soi Islam. One big negative were the noodles, the boiled ones of which were squishy soggy, with nary a hint of al dente to them, and the crispy, fried, deep-fried or whatever-they-are ones that I am used to were there, but with none of their sublime qualities showing either. Pretty much wet and soggy like the others. On top of that, the chicken was close to tasteless, and was just pieces of loose chicken, also overcooked, and not on the bone. Those are big negatives. On the positive side, the soup was pretty tasty (though not as good as what I am used to), and the green leafy pickled vegetable that gets served on the side was outstanding -- the only thing I liked better than at Lamduan Khao Soi (or Khao Soi Lamduan, whichever), which is the place I normally go, on Charoenrat Road.

Well . . . a few things to report. First, the restaurants seem to be located in a reverse relationship to what Sabaiji thought and reported, at least according to the roti shop (and why wouldn't they know?). So, Khao Soi Islam is further away from the mosque. So, I went to Khao Soi Islam, based on the name of the place, but I probably should have gone with how the locations were identified, rather than the names.

I say that because I did not care much at all for the khao soi at Khao Soi Islam. One big negative were the noodles, the boiled ones of which were squishy soggy, with nary a hint of al dente to them, and the crispy, fried, deep-fried or whatever-they-are ones that I am used to were there, but with none of their sublime qualities showing either. Pretty much wet and soggy like the others. On top of that, the chicken was close to tasteless, and was just pieces of loose chicken, also overcooked, and not on the bone. Those are big negatives. On the positive side, the soup was pretty tasty (though not as good as what I am used to), and the green leafy pickled vegetable that gets served on the side was outstanding -- the only thing I liked better than at Lamduan Khao Soi (or Khao Soi Lamduan, whichever), which is the place I normally go, on Charoenrat Road.

Sounds like I got 'em reversed. It's the one closer to the mosque that I like. Be sure to add all the stuff you're supposed to, eg, the pickled cabbage, chilli sauce, shallots and lime juice. Actually I haven't been to either of the Soi Ban Haw places in awhile, wondering if there could have been a change of ownership/cooks etc?

Maybe a better idea is for each person that knows where one place is put it on a google image and post it. that way we can print each map in a larger scale than we could if all of the place were on the same map. Unless they are all within a close enough distance of the moat.

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, there is a renowned khao soi establishment in Fang just around the corner from Bangkok Bank on the road that loops behind the market. Although the name eludes me at the moment, the restaurant has been there for decades. At one time it was one of the very few "indoor, sit down" eateries in Fang.

And to give a plug to my favorite neighborhood khao soi eatery up in Mae Rim, it is a hole-in-the-wall place about two blocks north of the traffic light where you take the left to loop around to the Mae Sa highway, on the left. Basic corrugated roof, small soi and some parking on the northside of the building. Doesn't look like much, but you can bump into some of the higher ranking karatchakaans and military officers eating alone who happen to have a hankering for some khao soi and no need to impress others with middle class ambiance.

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, there is a renowned khao soi establishment in Fang just around the corner from Bangkok Bank on the road that loops behind the market. Although the name eludes me at the moment, the restaurant has been there for decades. At one time it was one of the very few "indoor, sit down" eateries in Fang.

And to give a plug to my favorite neighborhood khao soi eatery up in Mae Rim, it is a hole-in-the-wall place about two blocks north of the traffic light where you take the left to loop around to the Mae Sa highway, on the left. Basic corrugated roof, small soi and some parking on the northside of the building. Doesn't look like much, but you can bump into some of the higher ranking karatchakaans and military officers eating alone who happen to have a hankering for some khao soi and no need to impress others with middle class ambiance.

ooooh! Going on vacation tomorrow but I'm going to try it first thing when I return. I'm by there everyday. Maybe It'll become my regular thing. Never saw it before. Thanks.