Daily Expenses

RueFang

Yesterday, i spent around 100 baht for a coffee and bagel for breakfast. I drove to work, so no taxi or BTS fare. A couple of hundred baht for lunch, and then I stayed in last night, so it was a cheap day.

I usually withdraw around 10,000 every Saturday morning. Usually that is more than enough for the full week, including extra costs such as filling the car etc.

You spent 100 baht for a coffee and bagel! Throwing money around like that will encourage the locals to think that we're all a bunch of over rich care free spenders. Please try to think of the rest of us when you splash out so extravagantly.

Rather than take out 10k a week the Mrs gives me 1,000 baht on Monday mornings (if I've behaved myself), and I daren't ask for another baht before the week's out.

Well, since I also spent over 100 baht for a coffee and croissant yesterday and the 10 people in line with me were Thai and fellow office workers, I don't worry too much about them thinking I'm a carefree spender.

Your perception of Thailand is jaded by your obvious location and who you associate with.

TH

Where did that come from? What location, & who do I obviously associate with?

You're probably one of these maniacs that regularly spend 50 baht on renting the latest DVDs...

How many working middle class Thais do you know and associate with every day that easily afford a 100 baht coffee?

Nah, don't think I have ever rented a DVD. Pretty much stick to my plantium UBC package, when I actually have time to watch TV. Buy a few, but never rent, can't remember how much I pay for them though.

:o

TH

70% of all Thais I have worked with (which is about 120 people). The receptionists, maids and drivers are usually out of luck - though not always. Thais in an office like to buy expensive coffee, it gives them status.

my coffee and danish cost me 180 baht in starbucks this morning ,and yes there were more thai's than westerners in there

unbelievable - I bought a can o Birdy and a custard bun for 20 baht.

Spending what many earn in day for a coffee is outrageous :o

why?