Thai Id Cards Designating Male And Female

shotover

นาย Mister

นาง Mrs.

นางสาว Miss

These are used on National ID cards and other types of ID cards. See picture of ID Card at: http://2bangkok.com/ID-Card.jpg

Note the third line of the card on the picture, starting with ชื่อ meaning 'name'. After the word ชื่อ is the word designating sex, and for women, also marital status, in this case นาย, i.e. Mister.

On some other forms, where you are asked to fill out your gender ( เพศ ), the options are:

หญิง female

ชาย male

So now he'll know that his miss really is a miss not a mister in a dress :o

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

:D

Seriously - not too bad an idea for most who are playing the "ahem" dating game without extensive experience to learn to look at ID cards and be able to decipher the one or two facts needed for making a decision on the circumstances.

:D

Wow, I would have thought "age" would be the hardest data to ascertain... but that brings up another question - what if a Katoey gets surgery? Can he also get his ID card changed to "Miss"? Even if it wasn't legal, I would think he could slip someone a few extra baht, afterall This Is Thailand! :o

MS - Thanks much for the informative reply. If not already, your post should be pinned in this forum.

Crossy - I would mention that I was asking at the request of a friend, but that would only result in knowing nods and winks. :o

Gnode - I've been told post-ops are not allowed to change their original sex designation on their ID cards. Someone with first-hand knowledge may confirm or dispute this.

What if a Katoey gets surgery? Can he also get his ID card changed to "Miss"? Even if it wasn't legal, I would think he could slip someone a few extra baht, afterall This Is Thailand! :o

This is not the type of thing that a bribe could take care of.