Bars Closed/elections

gary09

i all,

i'am arriving in phuket on the wed. 20th feb. next week , just 2 days before the proposed alcohol bans for that weekend & the following weekend, are these bans still going ahead ? a friend who lives up nth of Bangkok said business as usual in his town , (but he lives in a small place not frequented my tourists) he thinks same in Bangkok as well "bars should be open"

IF bans are still on will all bars/restaurants be closed during this period in Patong/Phuket ?

Yes, but if you want a good gov't, then you need to have the people sober when they vote!

I don't think that the amount of alchohol in the bloodstream makes much difference here when the choice is, essentially, between voting for an ageing, fat and corrupt bloke whose face is familiar but whose name escapes you and

an ageing, fat and corrupt bloke whose name is familiar but whose face escapes you.

Or am I being a bit cynical?

mick...I don't know if your being cynical, but I was being facetious!

Maybe in a drunken state people would have a moment of moral clarity and vote their conscience. Of course, their choices are limited.

Yes, but if you want a good gov't, then you need to have the people sober when they vote!

But the greater argument is the closure a week beforehand so they can register to vote outside of their home province. that is a kick in the <deleted>. Cost me hundreds of thousands in December over the businesses and it is totally unnecessary. Even closures on election days are a bloody joke.

The fact that it is not applied fairly across the board between areas, provinces and even in neighbouring police districts is a farce. The law is the law, local police should have no right to interpret or make up the law, merely to enforce it. Or not !

Maybe in a drunken state people would have a moment of moral clarity and vote their conscience. Of course, their choices are limited.

Hey, I think you've hit-upon something here. Have the voting booths inside the bars! Everyone would be happy; just imagine the voter turnout...

:o

They will be closed, same as last elections.

Naka.

Sorry, but what elections are these? The senate elections are on 2nd March.

Why open an OLD thread

Tijnebijn - its not an old thread, its happening again, this time for senatorial elections.

DavidS - as with the general elections they are having early voting the week before for those who have registered to vote outside of their home province.

I'm not too bothered personally, but if I were a business owner selling alcohol I would be furious at losing 4 weekends out of 8 at the height of the tourist season.

DavidS - as with the general elections they are having early voting the week before for those who have registered to vote outside of their home province.

I'm not too bothered personally, but if I were a business owner selling alcohol I would be furious at losing 4 weekends out of 8 at the height of the tourist season.

Thanks sweetchariot. Right in the 2nd and 3rd week of the coming Super 14 season too, and 6 nations of course.

Almost worth drinking Coke if the bars would open!

They will be closed, same as last elections.

Naka.

Why open an OLD thread

Tijnebijn - its not an old thread, its happening again, this time for senatorial elections.

How about Budda day on 21 February; is that a non drinking day as well?

December elections, just switched to big coffee mugs, but still served. :D

Yes ... But you must have an Embassy letter certifying being an Alkie ... 2,000 Baht I think it cost me last time. :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

can some one tell me EXACTLY which dates in march that are affected by the booze ban. i work in the entertainment business and i cant get a straight answer from anyone on which dates the booze is banned??i need to know what dates i have to cancel again!!

can some one tell me EXACTLY which dates in march that are affected by the booze ban. i work in the entertainment business and i cant get a straight answer from anyone on which dates the booze is banned??i need to know what dates i have to cancel again!!

No booze from 6pm Fri 22nd Feb to Midnight Sun 24th, then again from midnight (Friday night) 1st to midnight Sunday 3rd.

DavidS - next week all the 6 nations games are on the Saturday, I am thinking of having a 6 nations party at my house in Pattaya, anyone interested please PM me.

Why open an OLD thread

'cause just trying to find out if bars are open at all, when closed when open ??? if they have beer in coffee mugs?

been asking on this forum & other forums & nobody has same answer , some say open no change at all, some say all bars closed, some say some bars open , but no music , girls not allowed to dance & beer in cooffe mugs etc,

i arrive next wed 20th so like to know what i'am in for before i arrive , so if i need to organise other things if bars are closed ?

Cheers Gary

Edited by gary09

I wouldnt worry mate unless you are in Bangers, and then normally can only find grog in your hotel or places off the beaten path. In Patters, it seems rather loosely enforced, even still bought beer/whiskey in the family mart in december. Its rather amusing to say the least, but I dont think you will go thirsty unless you want to. Quite correct no music or lights down. :o

Hey, I think you've hit-upon something here. Have the voting booths inside the bars! Everyone would be happy; just imagine the voter turnout...

:o

But can you imagine the length of the lines to vote? People would be pissed while getting pissed! :D