Help Needed

Razr

I'd like to send an SMS (the the mother of the bride to be [maybe]) that says: "can we talk about the dowry in one year's time?"

Here's the way my simple brain constructs it:

แม่ยายอีกหนึ่งปีเราคุยกับสินสอดทองหมั้นได้ไหม

I know it's wrong.. please help! :o

คุณเรเซอร์ครับ,

In helping folks here to translate for you, perhaps it would be helpful to add a bit more clarity to your request. Do you mean:

a. I am not ready to marry your daughter for at least one more year; therefore, can we postpone the dowry discussion until we are closer to getting married or,

b. We are getting married soon but I would like to postpone both the discussion and actual payment of the dowry until we are married for at least one year, or,

c. something completely different?

Thanks.

Edited by DavidHouston

คุณเดย์วิดครับ,

Option A thanks.

B would be stretching the cultural gap a little too far I think.. However, if I'm wrong on that my Option C would be: "I am not ready to marry your daughter for at least one more year, but I would like to postpone both the discussion and actual payment of the dowry until we are married for at least one year as well." J/K of course :o

ขอบคุณครับ!

Edited by Razr

She already knows that you won't be marrying for a year or so:

คุณแม่ครับ ขอคุยเรื่องสินสอดทองหมั้นอีกทีตอนใกล้ๆแต่งได้มั้ยครับ

= Mother, could we discuss the sinsod issue again when it's a bit closer to that time [that we are getting married]?

You would like to inform her that it will be a year or so before you guys get married:

คุณแม่ครับ อีกซักปีถึงจะแต่งกันนะครับ ไว้ใกล้ๆตอนนั้นค่อยคุยกันเรื่องสินสอดทองหมั้นดีมั้ยครับ

= Mother. it might be a year or so until we get married. Maybe we should discuss the sinsod issue when the time comes near?

However, I do hope that you have a good relationship with your future mother-in-law, and that this is something you have been discussing in person previously. Such a message from you out of the blue could be taken the wrong way.

She already knows that you won't be marrying for a year or so:

คุณแม่ครับ ขอคุยเรื่องสินสอดทองหมั้นอีกทีตอนใกล้ๆแต่งได้มั้ยครับ

= Mother, could we discuss the sinsod issue again when it's a bit closer to that time [that we are getting married]?

You would like to inform her that it will be a year or so before you guys get married:

คุณแม่ครับ อีกซักปีถึงจะแต่งกันนะครับ ไว้ใกล้ๆตอนนั้นค่อยคุยกันเรื่องสินสอดทองหมั้นดีมั้ยครับ

= Mother. it might be a year or so until we get married. Maybe we should discuss the sinsod issue when the time comes near?

However, I do hope that you have a good relationship with your future mother-in-law, and that this is something you have been discussing in person previously. Such a message from you out of the blue could be taken the wrong way.

How about this strategy as an alternative?

"คุณแม่ครับ ผ่อนส่งค่าสินสอดทองหมั้น และจ่ายเป็นรายเดือนได้ไหมครับ"

Edited by DavidHouston

คุณเดวิดพูดเล่นใช่มั้ยคะ :D .... เอ่อ..ใช่มั้ย?? :o

ก็เราพยายามหาทางประนีประนอมเกี่ยวกับปัญหาว่าฝ่ายเจ้าบ่าวไม่มีปัจจัยพอสมควรที่จะจ่ายค่าสินสอดทองหมั้นในปัจจุบัน

ทำไม"ไว้"ครับ?

ทำไม"ไว้"ครับ?

well it's not absolutely necessary na ka, but ไว้ (which means "leave for now" in this case) helps make it smoother and more polite, especially since it's a request to a respected elder.

So ไว้ใกล้ๆตอนนั้นค่อยคุยกัน..., in a more literal translation, would be "Let's leave/save, for later when it's near that time, our discussion..."

another example of using ไว้ (for reasons other than politeness):

"พ่อๆ ถุงยางใช้ทำอะไรเหรอครับ"

"เ่อ่อ... ไว้โตขึ้นอีกหน่อยพ่อค่อยอธิบายนะ"

:o

Edited by siamesekitty