Help Help Help!

Please help! My brother and I are booked to go to thailand mon 9-20; we have a return date of 12-20. We were unaware of the visa requirements for a >30 day stay. He got his visa luckily; but my passport application got screwed up and didn't arrive till yesterday. Hence, no time to get the visa.

Do I have to book a flight out of Thailand TODAY showing that I am leaving the country in less than 30 days? (Go to Cambodia and get a visa there?)

Is there any way I can get into Thailand with my present ticket (90 day stay) and then get the extension?

Saw a bus company that has runs to Cambodia for visas; but can't make a reservation; no proof that I'm leaving...

ANY advise would be so appreciated! THANKS

We're coming from the US.

Please help!  My brother and I are booked to go to thailand mon 9-20; we have a return date of 12-20.  We were unaware of the visa requirements for a >30 day stay.  He got his visa luckily; but my passport application got screwed up and didn't arrive till yesterday.  Hence, no time to get the visa.

Do I have to book a flight out of Thailand TODAY showing that I am leaving the country in less than 30 days?  (Go to Cambodia and get a visa there?)

Is there any way I can get into Thailand with my present ticket (90 day stay) and then get the extension?

Saw a bus company that has runs to Cambodia for visas; but can't make a reservation; no proof that I'm leaving...

ANY advise would be so appreciated!  THANKS

Bad news I think. You'll be struggling to find an airline that will even carry you into Thailand without a visa. That stay well exceeds the 30 day stay period permitted without a visa. Your travel agent has done the wrong thing by you by not underscoring the need for a visa.. You could get an onward outbound ticket from Thailand to ( say ) Malaysia. Make that trip and get a Thai visa. The only other way is to reduce your stay to under 30 days, fix the visa, and rebook your return flight to the original date once you have a visa for Thailand. Let the travel agent help you. Good luck.

Hard to even guess as you do not say where you are but you may well have to show proof of onward travel to the airline bringing you here and that may require you purchase a ticket. I would just buy a Bangkok-Singapore ticket at full price and then cash it in later. If you do not do this arrive early with credit cards and time to buy at airport if required.

He HAS a return ticket so he should not have any problems boarding the plane where ever he is.

His return flight is for December 20.

The airline might wish to see a confirmed reservation within the 30 days

for which he can get visa-exempted entry. (If he holds a passport from one of the 'privileged' countries.

Guess lopburi3's advice is best, check in early and see if he has to buy another, refundable, ticket

Although it may be outside the rules (and even then its a maybee, he does have a return ticket just not inside his 30 days so not sure) I have come into LOS many many times on stays of 90 days up to > year without a ticket out inside the 30 days.. I just did my 'usual' visa runs durting the saty and used my ticket out after 3 / 6 months / whetever time I left..

Problem can be solved for him by booking a cheap air aisa etc ticket out of thailand and cancelling it when he getes here.. Then doing visa runs (or even using a ticket to Singapore / KL / Penang / etc as his visa run..

I used to fly in a couple of years back on one way tickets.. No one ever asked me for return ticket proof but I know that it can be an issue now.

Become a frequent flyer member with the Airline and there should be no hastles checking in.

This guy is pretty obviously a newbie. A brand spanking newbie member od any frequent flyer program would carry no weight.

Works for me everytime be it HK to LOS/Macau to LOS/Europe-LOS

Well we'll see whether you are right tomorrow won't we ?

Become a frequent flyer member with the Airline and there should be no hastles checking in.

This guy is pretty obviously a newbie. A brand spanking newbie member od any frequent flyer program would carry no weight.

Works for me everytime be it HK to LOS/Macau to LOS/Europe-LOS

Well we'll see whether you are right tomorrow won't we ?

Dont's lose any sleep doc over this now will you.

Hard to even guess as you do not say where you are

Last line in the original post should give you a clue :o ..............to the poster follow Lopburi3 or Dr P's advice get yourself an onward ticket travelling out out of Thailand within the first 30 days of your stay, you can either cash it in or use it for your visa run.

As far as I know, the airline will only question if you have a one-way flight. This is because if you are refused entry into Thailand, the airline will have to take responsibility for you. If you do not have a return, then they will have to fly you home free of charge.

If you can get on the flight, you are unlikely to have any problems, getting in to Thailand?. Has ANYone ever been asked for proof of return flight? Legally they can ask, but I don't think that they ever do.

You can't be sure what will happen so there is a risk.

What time is your flight, is it evening?

If you have an evening flight, will you have time to get to a Thai consulate to get a tourist visa? In UK can get visa over the counter very quickly, don't know if this is the same in US.

Do you have package holiday, or just the flight booked? It may be possible for you to postpone your flight for a few days to give you the chance to get a visa.

Hope that things work out Okay for you.

Go on the airasia website now and book a one way to Penang (Malaysia) for just before your 30 days are up. Can get them for about 1,000baht, and then print off your reservation number with your details on and bring that with you. Don't have to stay in Malaysia for any amount of time, not that you'd want to anyway, it's a sh1t hole. Catch a minivan or taxi to HatYai (Thailand) to get another 30 days at the Malay/Thai border, they won't ask for a ticket here.

I've flown on yearly tickets with no visa, and one ways many times, but some airlines are tightening up and won't let people board without a visa. You'd probably be alright, but get that airasia ticket to be sure.

I arrived in the LoS from the UK with NO visa and on a one way ticket!! I had no problems at immigration, I called the consulate in the UK and asked them first, I was told that you do not need a return or onward ticket to enter the kingdom as long as you abide by the visa rules and extend/renew bfore it expires!

Come here get the 30 day stamp, if you want to stay it's the dreded Poipet run once a month!!!!

Unless it is a real cheapy ticket were you cannot change anything,

ask your agent to issue a sticker saying you will return in 30 days, and then change it back to the original date once you get here.

My travel agent pointed out that TG may not let me board if I didn't have a correct visa despite having a return ticket.

Who wants to take the chance of getting hassled on entry....I've never found it difficult to find out the entry requirements of any country I've visited.

Maybe I'm strange but I try to be across air tickets/visas/money more than three days before leaving. :o

My travel agent pointed out that TG may not let me board if I didn't have a correct visa despite having a return ticket.

Who wants to take the chance of getting hassled on entry....I've never found it difficult to find out the entry requirements of any country I've visited.

Maybe I'm strange but I try to be across air tickets/visas/money more than three days before leaving. :o

So many don't Sporting Dog. Is it the first overseas syndrome or a case of the I couldn't care less sort of problem ?

He´s worrying over nothing as long as hes from the UK, USA etc, he obviously has a return ticket even if it is for 3 months just means ###### have the hassle of doing visa runs, he´ll probably be a nervous wreck with some of the replys hes got though!!!

The only time ive been questioned was when i was leaving Thailand to go to Peru with my Thai wife on one way tickets and then it was the airline that where worried in case we where turned back at the other end but they eventually let us board.

then it was the airline that where worried in case we where turned back at the other end but they eventually let us board.

This is exactly why he should have either a return ticket within 30 days or a visa in his passport. The airlines.

That some airlines have not checked or some pax have travelled without a problem does not make the potential for a problem disappear. Having a visa or ticket does.

I understand what you are saying, but i think if the airline see´s that he has a return ticket and is planning on flying back in the future it will decrease the hassle ten fold compared to if he was on a way one ticket.

If they ask him hes only got to say he is planning on going overland to Malaysia etc so wont be in Thailand for longer than the month at a time!!!

People worry to much!!!

I understand what you are saying, but i think if the airline see´s that he has a return ticket and is planning on flying back in the future it will decrease the hassle ten fold compared to if he was on a way one ticket.

If they ask him hes only got to say he is planning on going overland to Malaysia etc so wont be in Thailand for longer than the month at a time!!!

People worry to much!!!

Particularly airlines. They hate the fines involved and the requirement to carry anyone declined entry to another country at airline expense.