Do You Ever Take A Dislike To A Tv Member Because Of Their Avatar?

garro

Do you ever take a dislike to a TV member because of their avatar?  

236 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know that this is a bit of a silly question. I was just wondering if others take a dislike to somebody because of their avatar and make judgements about them based on this. I must admit that I sometimes do. Crazy isn't it. I suppose that it replaces other cues for first impressions. Am I alone in my madness?

I haven't put an 'I don't care' option in the poll because why would somebody vote if they didn't care.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<br />I find the flashing avatars very irratating. Find I have to use the esc key often to shut them off. For the most part I don't remember who has the avatar, but then my memory is not what it use to be.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I think that your avatar is cool!

It's still early in the poll, and so far almost half of us are saying yes, we 'take a dislike' or it affects our judgment of how we perceive that poster. Note that garro is a silly monkey, another one of us is Peter Pan, another is a blue elephant. Now, those are very non-threatening images. We have all seen Rambo, vampires, other mythological monsters. Part of our perfeption is that the poster chose that avatar to represent himself. How can we take offense at the remarks of a Vulcan or a Ferenghi? The poster known as Naam does not threaten me; he just has an ugly avatar.

I actually like Naam's avatar and it always gives me the impression that he is jai yen yen.

Strangely enough when I read his posts. I always hear it in that characters voice.

Edited by garro

It's still early in the poll, and so far almost half of us are saying yes, we 'take a dislike' or it affects our judgment of how we perceive that poster. Note that garro is a silly monkey, another one of us is Peter Pan, another is a blue elephant. Now, those are very non-threatening images. We have all seen Rambo, vampires, other mythological monsters. Part of our perfeption is that the poster chose that avatar to represent himself. How can we take offense at the remarks of a Vulcan or a Ferenghi? The poster known as Naam does not threaten me; he just has an ugly avatar.

in my view avatars should bear some relevance to the personality of the poster. i find some female picture extremely silly when used by a male. exceptions are if a proud father uses the picture of his child as avatar. another silly thing is to change avatars every now and then. that's just my personal view but... chacun à son goût! :o

I would doubt people take the Forum that seriously as to dislike a person they have never met.

Then again it takes all sorts. :D

I met a guy in a Bar one day who recommended me to this Forum, after I told him I was a Forum member for a few years, he refused to give out his Forum nickname, very odd.

He was a really good guy though, maybe his internet persona is different. :D

I know some people take Internet Forums very serious and see any post that disagrees with their own thoughts as a personal attack against them.

Others will see themselves in a posters post and also take that personal.

Daft really in my opinion. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Content of posts is the only thing I read and pass judgement on. Rarely look to the left of the written word to see self proclaimed status, ranking, number of posts and the like.

I wonder if onces socialality can be measured if one pays attention to extraneous facts other than the words and their meanings in a post. Perhaps it is a political measure, those who are politically aware pay attention to appearances, etc.

My fondness for Thaivisa is that I don't have to pay attention to onces appearance, nationality, unless proclaimed, and other extraneous factors when reading, trying to understand and absorb the meaning of a post.

Some avatars are cute, others funny but some, especially the flashing ones are plain annoying. I like to see the avatars as i tend to remember the person from the picture better than the name but i don't like it to be a distraction when i am trying to read the post.

Nidge.

I find the flashing avatars very irratating. Find I have to use the esc key often to shut them off. For the most part I don't remember who has the avatar, but then my memory is not what it use to be.

same same for me

I agree with those who dislike flashing avatars. I turn them off. That's not to say that I dislike the person who chose them.

Sorry :o

The only one that bothers me is that Dustoff guy who, totally lacking in imagination, posts a pic of himself to.. go figure.. represent himself.

I notice that Old Croc has done the same... :o

BTW - I care about not being allowed to cast my vote simply because I don't care.

Edited by Dustoff