Confused By...new Rule ?

Hi everybody,

This week i was been told by a well respected Thai lawyer that there is a new rule : If somebody applies for a retirement visa then he can NOT get a work permit anymore, so best thing is to apply for a Non Immigr B visa he suggested...

Later on, i called Immigration to check if this is true ; They replied that this is NOT true, in other words that one still can apply for a WP after he gets his Retirement visa ;

To be sure i asked the same to another well respected Thai lawyer, and he confirmed what the Immigration officer said... This of course made me confused....

So, is there anybody (Lopburi3 or somebody else of your compagnons...) who knows HOW it exactly is for the moment ?

Thanks in advance !

A work permit is not normally issued if you are on a retirement extension of stay - but you can always change to employment if you want to work (if the pay/company qualifies). It is an off/on thing but last we heard most labor offices were not providing a work permit if on the retirement extension but there do seem to be exceptions.

A work permit is not normally issued if you are on a retirement extension of stay - but you can always change to employment if you want to work (if the pay/company qualifies). It is an off/on thing but last we heard most labor offices were not providing a work permit if on the retirement extension but there do seem to be exceptions.

Thanks for your answer Lopburi ! It seems that it's still confusing, isn't it ? The fact in my case is that i become 50 years in a couple of months and that i can start working for a company here in Thailand ; Of course i want to do this 100% in a legal way ! That means with a work permit that the company is willing to pay for me ; The only thing is like i already mentioned : is it still possible to get a WP after i apply for a Retirement visa or not ? In the last case i have to apply for a Non Immigr B visa, haven't i ? Thanks again...