Pilates In Chiang Mai

wjmark

People have been posting about martial arts, fitness, rehab, etc., so I thought I would mention that there is a Pilates studio here in Chiang Mai.

It is small, and geared towards private and small-group teaching. It is fully equipped with challenging equipment, and the farang instructor has years of experience dealing with back pain, injury, general fitness, and sports enhancement.

(Tiger Woods does Pilates).

PM me for details.

Cheers, Mark

I used to have a back problem which seems to be recurring (probably too much time sitting at the computer, or Madame Number Two as my girlfriend has christened it) and a friend in England mentioned Yoga or Pilates might be worth trying. Yoga always looks pretty painful to me - what's involved in Pilates?

I hurt myself working out 2 weeks ago - really screwed up my back- n lucked into a great Chiropracter/Maturopath/ Eastern Medicine guy with 20 yrs experience. I hobbled into his office and actually came out with a bit of spring in my step and waaaay less pain. Really good stuff. Exercise -and pilates is good. Killer, but good. And exacting. - will be any part of a recovery plan and Dr. Bob can consult you on this too. If you want info about him you can PM me. His office is a little hard to find.

Edited by realthaideal

Pilates and Yoga have a lot of similarities, but a major difference is that Pilates focuses on the deep core abdominal muscles that stabilize the spine, pelvis, allowing the rest of the body to release and function in a easier way.

The field of physiotherapy has been adopting Pilates methods over the last 10-15 years as they work so well.

At one level, Pilates is actually a type of physiotherapy, and on the other, it is a dramatic form of exercise that improves any type of movement and athletic endeavor...

===

Here is a link the Pilates ChiangMai site: http://pilates-chiangmai.tripod.com/

(I am not sure if TV.com allows internet links, so if not, do a Google search for: pilates-chiangmai )

• 2 weeks later...

Pilates is great. My DH has had a bad back for years, tried a lot of things to help, chiropracters regular excersise etc. nothing did much good. Since he started pilates he has never had another episode of it going out on him. Thank God as it used to mean me being his nursemaid for several weeks while he got better :o

What is a pilate??

It is something you eeat offff of...

Seriously, Joseph Pilates, 1880-1967, was a movement expert who combined yoga, martial arts, dance, and much more into a new form of movement. Great stuff. Fantastic equipment - including the "spine corrector" and the "reformer" that are both amazing for golfers...

Saved my back over ten years ago, and I have been teaching it for 8 years.

More about Joseph Pilates (proonounced pee-lah-tees):

http://pilates-chiangmai.tripod.com/id4.html

Edited by wjmark