Taking The Dogs For A Swim

miltonbentley

Along the canal road, just before the 700 sports stadium, there's a big lake on the right hand side. You might give it a try there.

Then there is a park just before the Lanna sport complex on the Chotana road; if you come from the Khuang Sing intersection heading Mae Rim, after 500? meter you reach a T-section with traffic lights. Go straight and after 50 - 100 meter or something you have the entrance on your left. Haven't been there for the longest time, but before peope used to walk their dogs there and I saw several goldens and labs swimming in the ponds. Strongly advised to bring several poop-bags to clean up after your dog.

My offer is still open as well, though it might be a bit out of the way for you.

Nienke

Our dog Rasta is getting old :o and has developed dysplasia (mild at the moment) and we want to take him for a swim but it is not allowed at Huay Tung Tao anymore.

Does anyone know anywhere we can take him?

Thanks

On Feb 10th there were 2 families swimming and paddling with dogs in Hua Tung Tao, the 'Army Lake' (that's why it closes at 6.00pm!) farther up the Irrigation Canal Rd and up the hill to the left. No-one objected and spectators seemed to enjoy it as much as the dogs.

Two off topic topics: the women who collect the donations for fish food say that the bigger fish in the lake are eating all the smaller ones and taking over (thus the nets round the 'bathing' areas), plus the restaurant on the Irrigation/HTT road junction (on the HTT side of the bridge) gets better and better. Called 'The Terrace' in Thai and Very good value. Light years ahead of the mosquito ridden no-smile places near the lake entry pay booths.

"Orb Karn", Hang dong - Sanpatong area...can you provide directions please? Thanks.

Also, race horses and dogs swim regularly in a small quarry on a major side road North off Chotana before Sahapanich Toyota. As one proceeds West toward Mae Rim on the 4-lane hwy extension of Chotana, just past the superhwy, take the 1st set of lights left (North). To confirm you are at the correct set of lights, as you turn left off Chotana you will see Sahapanich Toyota just ahead on the right. Having turned left proceed until you are almost at the major highway/ canal which leads right to the 700-Year Stadium another 1.5km, or left to Huay Kaew-Phucome Hotel intersection . The quarry is about 200 meters on the right side (West) of this major side road before the 4-lane intersection. You may possibly see many race horses being walked along this road back North across the canal to their stables. Disadvantage is you must wait until all horses have left.

The large quarry mentioned nearly opposite the new stadium and beside the city hall area used for the winter fair is good, large enough to avoid other dogs; be sure to choose a gently sloping entry for your dog. I use this often. My dogs love it here, splashing about just like children.

• 3 weeks later...

I bring my dogs to the Agricultural Center (School) Along the Canal road. Go up Suthep Road, turn right along the canal and it's maybe 4or 5 k down on your right before the next light. You can turn right on the canal over the bridge and into the entrance. Just drive on back and you will see the small lake. :o

I use to bring my dogs to "Orb Karn", Hang dong - Sanpatong area.

It is a good site for both men and dogs to swim and promenade together. :o

Last two times I took the dogs to Ob Khan Gorge, the guards were particularly obnoxious and wouldn't let them any where near the water.

We have a large pond, ideal for dog exercise but not so good for accompanying them. You are welcome to try here if you like.

When near home, I take my dog to the lake next to the CMU veterinary school on the canal road. When near the area I'm moving too, I take him to the lake in Ban Mae Ann, about 3 km's past the PREM school. Also, there are several ponds on the bike trail near Huay Tung Tao that he romps in.

Our dog Rasta is getting old :o and has developed dysplasia (mild at the moment) and we want to take him for a swim but it is not allowed at Huay Tung Tao anymore.

Does anyone know anywhere we can take him?

Thanks

Maybe you could hold a charity event down at Tuskers to buy a swimming pool for old rasta: :D

Edited by anonymouse