Dental Fillings

DavidS

Just got back from a trip to the dentist, for routine cleaning and check. The dentist has asked me to come back to replace some old fillings.

Is this something that is routine?

I did ask if there were cavities, and he said no, just change the old fillings.

Just got back from a trip to the dentist, for routine cleaning and check. The dentist has asked me to come back to replace some old fillings.

Is this something that is routine?

I did ask if there were cavities, and he said no, just change the old fillings.

Its routine with some dentist and you can draw your own conclusions as to why.

Some years ago I moved from one state to another in the US and my new dentist said all my fillings needed to be replaced and could give no reason other than their age, about 15-18 years at the time. I returned on a visit to my old residence and decided to check with my old dentist and he could see no reason to replace any. Five years later I decided to replace all the silver amalgam fillings with composite resin even though the dentist doing the work said they were worn but still had a few more years left. They were all in the 20-23 year age when replaced.

Thanks bb.

I'm a little apprehensive about it because I had the misfortune of visiting a bad dentist in the 80s. Why bad?

Because in the 90s, I went to see a dentist who had become a friend first, in order to replace broken fillings. He was pretty horrified, and in his words, "Listen chum, as a professional, I do not normally comment on the work of others, but someone has been at your teeth with a pick-axe. There is not much left inside the teeth I am fixing."

So, if this chap has a go, I may have nothing left.

This is pretty disconcerting. Perhaps a second check and opinion is in order.

The replacement of fillings has many variables such as wear and tear, the quality of the original work etc. There is no hard fast rule on how long fillings last. And some dentists have advised replacing all amalgam fillings after the Mercury scare. Find a competent dentist you trust and let them determine if and when you need replacement fillings.

Me, I wait until I am in serious trouble before I go to the dentist. Just thinking about the unique sound of the drill makes me cringe.

So, if this chap has a go, I may have nothing left.

This is pretty disconcerting. Perhaps a second check and opinion is in order.

But you probably would still have the option of crowns and if tooth too bad RCT and PIN for crown or implant as a last resort.

But agree a second opinion is in order if he did not explain what was required and why. If he did a panoramic xray he may have seen things/leakage but should have taken the time to show you - even I could see clear image and problems in these type films.

But you probably would still have the option of crowns and if tooth too bad RCT and PIN for crown or implant as a last resort.

But agree a second opinion is in order if he did not explain what was required and why. If he did a panoramic xray he may have seen things/leakage but should have taken the time to show you - even I could see clear image and problems in these type films.

No X-ray taken and no explanation, which is what had me worried.

I think a second opinion and a more thorough evaluation and explanation are very much in order here. As in how many fillings, which ones and why / whats wrong.

Thanks all for helping me out with this decision.

Just thinking about the unique sound of the drill makes me cringe.

Pretty much my problem that day. By nature, I automatically ask 'why' when I do not understand something.

That day after 30 mins in the chair for cleaning and polishing, my brain had pretty much shut-down. No pain, just the 'chalk squeaking on blackboard' sensation. Trying my best to relax and not doing terribly well with it. Ah well.

Edited by DavidS

Have my fillings already for more then 25 years they are the blue? color.

No probs at all with them.

Dentist suggested to replace them for white ones because it look better.

How long they last I asked.

About 5 year.

No thanks I replied.

The dental clinic I go to (Asavanant) has miniature cameras, and the first time I went there the dentist took pictures of all my fillings, showed me some that needed to be replaced, and there was visible cracks in them, also showed me some that were still good so that I could compare.

So just go to a well equipped clinic, it may be a bit more expensive, but at least you'll see by yourself if something needs to be done.