Where Is The Best American-breakfast In Chiang Mai ?

Ricardo

Based on my own experiences. here in Thailand, an American-Breakfast comprises an over-priced semi-fried egg on soggy toast, with a tasteless sausage & limp slice of ham, and salad decoration on-the-side. :o

But I read about piles of waffles, with hot maple-syrup, loads of crisp bacon, fried potato-cakes, and unlimited tasty-coffee.

Some difference !

So would any US-members, of this esteemed forum, care to nominate their recommendations for a real American-Breakfast, here in Chiang Mai, for the benefit of us humble non-american seekers-after-gourmet-heaven ?

Both Art Cafe at Thapae Gate and Bake and Bite near the Night Bazaar (on Chang Klan Road just past Sri Don Chai intersection, across from Georgios Italian restaurant) have lots of different kinds of coffees and omelettes, REAL hash brown potatoes and other styles, pancakes, including buttermilk and whole wheat, different styles of french toast - including whole grain - waffles, Egg's Benedict, oatmeal, muisili with fruit and yogurt, American breakfast sausages and crispy bacon, buttermilk biscuits with butter and jam, etc.

These two places have the best American breakfasts in all of Thailand that I have found, - much better than anything in Bangkok - and at very reasonable prices. :o

For British Breakfasts, Chiang Mai Leprechan can't be beat (Yorkies sausages, bacon and black pudding). It has just reopened near Butterfly bar near the begining of Loi Kroh Road. The proprieter is out of town for a while, but his missus is doing her best to keep up standards.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I used to be an American to quote an illustrious former Huey pilot....and never experienced what you describe as the thai version of american breakfasts. Too much lost in the translation. As most things in America, there are many variables:

The ham usually is very thick and has "Taste"...more like a ham steak

Pancakes and eggs

Large fluffy omelets stuffed with various (theres that word again) goodies.Not the typical scrambled eggs rolled over here

French toast

Beef steak and eggs and non-soggy toast that is buttered within one minute of popping out of the toaster

Shit on a shingle or SOS in more esteemed circles as described ( I hear Bake and Bite has a good version)

or what is known as an English breakfast without the fart producing beans

and I could also recommend for the old geezers like myself an occasional bowl of oatmeal

and the list goes on...not much for recommendations but maybe some clarification on "American " breakfasts

Looks like the Gecko dude beat me to the post

Edited by bunta71

I suspect the OP may have been referring to "American Fried Rice," which is not American.

Of course, Ulysses has described it best. Southern parts of the USA enjoyed 5 kinds of cholesterol (fried eggs, sausage, hash browns, bacon, ham, or even steak for breakfast. I hardly ever had hot breakfast, and got by on cold milk and cereal. And Americans can be very picky about how the eggs are fried, scrambled, poached, etc.

I know that Bake n' Bite was already mentioned (I think there's a thread in this forum about the place too). But I can't recommend it highly enough. Great breakfasts for the American palette. Pi Gai lived in the states for a long time, and knows how the food should taste, feel, and smell. You get that indescribable breakfast feeling: "Ahh... Breakfast". Which I think the OP was eluding to missing.

That kind of food is great for weekends and special occasions, but I really don't think most Americans eat breakfasts like that every day. Cereal and milk with juice is probably the most common. Not very exciting, but who wants to get that excited everyday early in the morning? That said, I would love some SOS.

Shit on a shingle or SOS in more esteemed circles as described ( I hear Bake and Bite has a good version)

I know I will probably regret asking this but what is SOS?

CB

Creamed chipped beef on toast Crowie.

Surpised you don't know that with your international military experience.

Edited by Blinky Bill

I know I will probably regret asking this but what is SOS?

CB

Creamed chipped beef on toast Crowie.

Surpised you don't know that with your international military experience.

Doh - now I remember it - chipped beef, not had it for years. Not heard it called SOS. I was thinking about this sort of thing a while back when Sabaijai was talking fondly about finding a "Sloppy Joe" in Bangkok, I thought he had either crossed to the other side or found a nice sweat shirt. Took me a while to figure it out and remember what it is.

Thanks mate

CB

• 9 months later...
If you are looking for crap, spotted dick fits right in. :D

I pour custard over my spotted-dick, then lick it off the spoon, too much information really ... :D

Now jam tart or gypsy tart, with clotted-cream for a change, that really is a delightful food-experience. And a glass of free water on-the-side. :D

Merry Christmas UG ! :o