People's Alliance For Democracy To Renew Movement

sriracha john

Wheelin' and Dealin' with the PPP... from a wannabe-like Samak...

PPP Proposes Democrats Negotiate with PAD in Return for Censure Debate

A People Power Party MP has urged the opposition Democrat Party to negotiate with the People's Alliance for Democracy to stop the anti-government movement, saying he will ask the government to consider accepting the censure debate motion in exchange.

People Power Party MP for Maha Sarakam, Suthin Klangsaeeng, hosted a press conference today requesting that the Democrat Party help negotiate with the PAD to have them stop the ongoing anti-government movement.

Suthin says if the Democrat Party agreed with his proposal, he will ask the PPP-government to consider accepting the Democrat's censure debate motion submitted for the extraordinary Parliamentary session next month.

Suthin says that according to his plan, he will enlist 80 names of PPP MPs to request that the government consider accepting the debate motion.

When asked for evidence that other PPP MPs supported his opinion, Suthin merely said his prestige as a politician is a guarantee.

However, he said that personally, he agreed with the PPP-led government not to extend the special Parliamentary session as the censure debate proposed by the opposition party will not be good for the nation.

Suthin further added that the Democrat Party is responsible for the chaotic political situation at the moment. :o:D

The press reported that during the press conference, Suthin expressed his anger and opposed many of the questions posed by the press, especially when asked to clarify his sincerity in supporting the government to solve the national conflict. Before the end of the conference, the press were stopped from asking questions as the PPP MP shook his finger at reporters and asked them not to speak anymore.

- Thailand Outlook (today)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My girlfriend just got an SMS about the King stepping in and saying something prior to tomorrows (Friday's) PAD protests - she was unclear on the details. Just checked The Nation and Bangkok Post websites but they haven't been updated. Anyone see something on a Thai news channel? (And understood it?)

A People Power Party MP has urged the opposition Democrat Party to negotiate with the People's Alliance for Democracy to stop the anti-government movement, saying he will ask the government to consider accepting the censure debate motion in exchange.

People Power Party MP for Maha Sarakam, Suthin Klangsaeeng, hosted a press conference today requesting that the Democrat Party help negotiate with the PAD to have them stop the ongoing anti-government movement.

Suthin says if the Democrat Party agreed with his proposal, he will ask the PPP-government to consider accepting the Democrat's censure debate motion submitted for the extraordinary Parliamentary session next month.

Suthin says that according to his plan, he will enlist 80 names of PPP MPs to request that the government consider accepting the debate motion.

When asked for evidence that other PPP MPs supported his opinion, Suthin merely said his prestige as a politician is a guarantee.

However, he said that personally, he agreed with the PPP-led government not to extend the special Parliamentary session as the censure debate proposed by the opposition party will not be good for the nation.

Suthin further added that the Democrat Party is responsible for the chaotic political situation at the moment. :o:D

The press reported that during the press conference, Suthin expressed his anger and opposed many of the questions posed by the press, especially when asked to clarify his sincerity in supporting the government to solve the national conflict. Before the end of the conference, the press were stopped from asking questions as the PPP MP shook his finger at reporters and asked them not to speak anymore.

Clever move by the Government. Won't work of course as the Dems, the PAD, the military cronies, all those well-healed bureaucrats living way beyond their means, syncohants, etc, etc, have one goal - to find an excuse to have Big Brother Army step in on some trumped up charge to throw out the elected government and stamp out once and for all 'populism' - you can't have populism in a country that relies on oligarchy and guanxi - it would never work. They're as scared of that as they were of communism in the 1970s.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the US and others have made it clear to Thailand that they won't ride the fence this time. If the minority elites force a coup, they'll get punished for it. But my guess is they'll do it anyway as they think they have too many priviledges to lose otherwise..so to them it's worth it.

Edited by thaigene2

Clever move by the Government. Won't work of course as the Dems, the PAD, the military cronies, all those well-healed bureaucrats living way beyond their means, syncohants, etc, etc, have one goal - to find an excuse to have Big Brother Army step in on some trumped up charge to throw out the elected government and stamp out once and for all 'populism' - you can't have populism in a country that relies on oligarchy and guanxi - it would never work. They're as scared of that as they were of communism in the 1970s.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the US and others have made it clear to Thailand that they won't ride the fence this time. If the minority elites force a coup, they'll get punished for it. But my guess is they'll do it anyway as they think they have too many priviledges to lose otherwise..so to them it's worth it.

:D :D :D :D

Incidentally your view of the "negotiations" involved in the alteration of Thai borders is misleading although has a sinilar drift to the hotchpotch of lies taught about history in Thai schools.Thailand or Siam was almost always on the back foot and reacting to the wishes of (and rivalry between) the great colonial powers.

I've always thought that too..If you look at Africa (esp) and East Asia, what you see is the Colonial Powers taking on strategic nations - but "trying" to avoid direct borders with each other (happened sometimes) because that would lead to more problems. So Thailand was a good 'buffer'. Anyone seriously think if any of the powers in those days had wanted to takeThailand they would have been stopped or afraid to proceed? Didn't stop the Japanese from occupying Thailand now did it?

My girlfriend just got an SMS about the King stepping in and saying something prior to tomorrows (Friday's) PAD protests - she was unclear on the details. Just checked The Nation and Bangkok Post websites but they haven't been updated. Anyone see something on a Thai news channel? (And understood it?)

Nothing so far, as long as I don't see anything on TV I consider it as fake SMS.

Incidentally your view of the "negotiations" involved in the alteration of Thai borders is misleading although has a sinilar drift to the hotchpotch of lies taught about history in Thai schools.Thailand or Siam was almost always on the back foot and reacting to the wishes of (and rivalry between) the great colonial powers.

I've always thought that too..If you look at Africa (esp) and East Asia, what you see is the Colonial Powers taking on strategic nations - but "trying" to avoid direct borders with each other (happened sometimes) because that would lead to more problems. So Thailand was a good 'buffer'. Anyone seriously think if any of the powers in those days had wanted to takeThailand they would have been stopped or afraid to proceed? Didn't stop the Japanese from occupying Thailand now did it?

No no, it can be seen very clear on you postings, you never "thought" anything before!

You know h90, I'm just observing what the main international media are saying about this whole sorry state of affairs. The Economist, The BBC and others are saying the same thing as me. This is the minority elites trying to kick out Thakisn and his populist government(s). Problem is that little deomcracy thing keeps popping up.

Now then, I don't know what Radio Ostreich or others in Austria are saying (isn't the the only ultra-right wing whacko govt in Europe presently? Oh - sorry forgot Sarkozy!)

As the police started buzzing around last night, it looked more serious around 2 a.m., Chamlong was sitting amongst the crowd with a microphone and kept reassuring everyone very calmly, even making jokes, everyone seemed very relaxed and not intimidated at all by the police activity going on behind them. He did insist thatno one resist or fight should they start arresting people. A sudden rain shower may have changed plans for the police or they are simply bluffing, I doubt they will take any action as the usual PPP-TRT method is to hire goons who can't be directly linked to anyone.

Samak and the government are still smirking.

Their thwarted and failed attempt to break-up the PAD protest two weeks ago last Saturday was a total failure and a complete loss of face. Revenge is on the cards.

Chamlong is right to feel jittery about the government's intent - right now.

Tomorrow looks likely to be a flash point in this attempt to remove 'the Thaksins from office'.

RECOMMENDED Polictal TV-SHOW (rerun) starts 02'00 - 03'00am on TOC

"HEADLINERS" is the show's name on

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/ = 02'00-03'00am

(I dont' work there, and I have no benefit in promoting this show, which start in about 2 hours from now, I personally just get the best TV information there, on the only "English only TV show" in Thailand, besides reading of course all other blogs, newspapers etc.

So this evening I watched TOC nearly 1 hour interview with "The Democrats: Khun Korn (Finance Shadow Minister)" talking about the PAD rally tomorrow, and

the current ongoing goverment problems etc. Wow, I really must say these people, including Khun Abhisit are really the should be leaders!

It's so refreshing to hear his thoughts about the ongoing problems. So way far more intelligent and down to earth than any PPP=TRT person I've ever heard speaking!

The show is up again in 2 hours on, starts at/on:

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/

Rerun 02'00am (BKK-time)

Don't miss it, if you are still awake at 02'00am!

my comment:

For me, he or Khun Abhisit, are the most suitable ones, who have honest, long-terms solutions for this country. Most others, are thieves, with Thaksin on the top with

my title for him, as the "worst and most dishonest role-model Thailand ever had"!

Please let me know know your comment, about Khun Korn's opinions, also regarding the PAD rally 2-morrow.

I really would love to see this person as PM for Thailand. What a refreshing and intelligent change, this would be for Thailand.

Let's cross or fingers, that the upcountry people will get to hear their voices as well (difficult as PPP=TRT=Thaksin group is blocking their air-times

on govermental channel since they took over about 6-7 years ago) one day! And therefore we have this unfortunate recycle of Pro-Thaksin Group being relected over and over again. However I think if any next election takes place, and the EC would do their honest job, the Dems would grab it! I hope, we need them!

Edited by nomoretalksin

BREAKING - DAAD Moves in on PAD's Makawan Stage

UPDATE : 19 June 2008

The Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship protesters marched to the PAD Makawan rally site. They set up a makeshift stage at the rear of the PAD gathering. Police were seen trying to push the DAAD protesters further away from the PAD protesters. The DAAD refuses to move and its leaders take turn making speeches attacking the PAD.

STILL ON-GOING TONIGHT - Metro Police Play Recording to Discourage PAD from Moving to Govt House

The Metropolitan police played a recording with messages that discourage the PAD from moving to Government House. The recording say the PAD must allow political problem via political means.

PM Meets with Internal Security Operations Command Ahead of PAD Final Showdown

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej attends a meeting with the Internal Security Operations Command today, while the First Army commander denies he’s sent in units to spy on the People’s Alliance for Democracy rally.

First Army Commander Lieutenant General Prayuth Chan-ocha spoke to reporters before he attended a meeting with Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej. He denies he’s received an order to spy on the People’s Alliance for Democracy rally.

The official agenda for this meeting is for the members of the Internal Security Operations Command to be briefed on national policy framework by the premier.

The meeting is aimed to inform the relevant units and organizations of the new operations framework defined by the new Internal Security Act of 2007.

Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak, in his capacity as the director of Isoc, chaired the policy briefing meeting. Around 470 members of government bureaucrats, Isoc members and army commanders attended.

Among the high-ranking officers who were present at the meeting were Army Commander-in-Chief General Anupong Paojinda, First Army Commander Lieutenant General Prayuth Chan-ocha , National Police Chief Police General Patcharawat Wongsuwan and Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung.

However Supreme Commander General Boonsrang Niampradit , Navy Commander-in-Chief Admiral Sathiraphan Keyanon and Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal Chalit Pukbhasuk have prior engagements and were not able to attend the meeting.

this may be a stupid question. I don't know. but I am just curious.... do foreigners need to be concerned? I mean. I really don't want to be caught in the middle of a civil war, you know. any words of advice?

No - not at all - unless you're a businessman.

Unfortunately - things will probably get very nasty some time soon. There's a huge power play in process.

Thaksin - for all intent and purpose - still holds the reigns of power!

BIG - BIG - PROBLEM

this may be a stupid question. I don't know. but I am just curious.... do foreigners need to be concerned? I mean. I really don't want to be caught in the middle of a civil war, you know. any words of advice?

Just stay well away from the protests. Just as in the Olympic torch coming through Bangkok, I suspect the authorities will not hesitate to come down on Ferangs caught up in the crowds.

Friday showdown: PAD v police

Police said on Thursday they will not allow protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy move to Government House or parliament on Friday. "If they try to break through using flag poles, baseball bats or other objects they will be regarded as using weapons... Police will take action according to international crowd control principles," Pol Maj-Gen Surapol Thuanthong, deputy police spokesman said. Core PAD organiser Maj-Gen Chamlong said the group had every right to move to Government House, but promised no one would go inside - "even if gates may be open for us. Our aim is not to lay siege to Government House, but to show our force," All schools in the area of Government House were ordered shut for Friday. Surapol said police would definitely not allow PAD protesters to move to Government House, and said officers would be prepared to use force to stop them. He did not give details but referred to "international crowd control principles," presumably including riot police and tear gas. He said police try to negotiate with the PAD leaders before any show of force. Starting this evening, police will set up barricades on major roads in the area around the current PAD protest: Phitsanulok, Ratchasima, Rama V, Sri Ayutthaya and Ratchadamnern. Chamlong, who has been the leading figure in the current protest, stopped short of saying what the PAD will do, but insisted he would not be pushed backwards. Meanwhile, PM Samak said he believed police are still able to contain the PAD rally and that it is not yet necessary to ask for help from the military. The situation is not yet so serious that the Internal Security Operations Command must step in, said Samak, who is director of the ISOC. He also said that police can control the situation, and that there is no need for the military to step in. But the premier was clearly angry at the PAD insistence on taking to the streets again. "Why are they doing this? Don't they realise how much the country is damaged by the rallies?" he asked reporters rhetorically on Thursday.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=128351

============================================================================

SET hits 11-month low

The Stock Exchange of Thailand registered the biggest declines in all of Southeast Asia on Thursday, a drop of 3 per cent, with political instability adding to worries about oil prices and inflation.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=128356

Edited by sriracha john

Samak shifts venue

PAD threat to picket admin building forces rescheduling

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has shifted his schedule meetings today at Government House to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs because of the People's Alliance for Democracy's plan to lay siege to the administrative centre. All meetings scheduled at Government House today are being held at other state offices. Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee has moved a meeting with financial officials to the Finance Ministry.

The majority of government officials at Government House are not expected to turn up for work today as they might be prevented from leaving the premises, as with protests at other state agencies.

Loiluan Bunnag, deputy secretary-general to the prime minister, said officials should not panic but if they wanted to take a day off they could. He advised staff to come to work by taxi or bus and leave their cars at home because the exits and entrances would be closed immediately in the event of any trouble from the PAD protest.

A National Counter-Corruption Commission officer, who asked not to be named, said witnesses summoned to appear before the commission at its office opposite Government House had been told to go to its Phetburi Road office instead. NCCC chairman Panthep Klanarongran has ordered tightened security measures to protect important documents.

More than 20,000 supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) are expected to gather at Government House today amid fears of violence as security officials have been instructed to prevent them from taking control of the premises.

Intelligence officials appraised the situation and believed the PAD could mobilise more than 20,000 supporters.

A source from Government House said police would block all gates from last night. They have yet to analyse how the PAD protesters were planing their rally strategies.

The Security Division issued a circular to the heads of all divisions in Government House to decide whether to allow staff to work half a day so that security officials can work with more flexibility. They expect the PAD to gather in the afternoon.

"We fear the protesters may break into the compound while we open the gates to allow staff to go home," the source said.

General Police Chief Pol General Patcharawat Wongsuwan said police would keep on negotiating with the PAD not to cross over Makkhawan Bridge and gather at Government House. Even though the PAD has refused to bow to the request, police would not use force to suppress the protesters and avoid confrontations.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Today, and in the days to come, could be most interesting. I am more than a little nervous and anxious, primarily because these things can be so unpredictable. Could end up in a mini-disaster, or a Guiness Book of Records for the biggest picnic ever held.

Wifey is on her way by bus to Bangkok from Kanchanaburi to see one of her friends and say that the police are checking all the buses headed for BKK to look for PAD supporters. She is on a regular service bus not a hired tour.

Guess they are serious about clamping down on support getting through.

You know h90, I'm just observing what the main international media are saying about this whole sorry state of affairs. The Economist, The BBC and others are saying the same thing as me. This is the minority elites trying to kick out Thakisn and his populist government(s). Problem is that little deomcracy thing keeps popping up.

Now then, I don't know what Radio Ostreich or others in Austria are saying (isn't the the only ultra-right wing whacko govt in Europe presently? Oh - sorry forgot Sarkozy!)

ultra right :o:D :D

Seems you have as much idea from Austria as from Thailand :D :D :D

Socialist Premier who kissed the Soviet land at Moscow, that government might be many things but not right wing unless everything which is not communist is right wing in your eyes.

Wifey is on her way by bus to Bangkok from Kanchanaburi to see one of her friends and say that the police are checking all the buses headed for BKK to look for PAD supporters. She is on a regular service bus not a hired tour.

Thank you for the information. Did she say anything more about it? eg. How are they assessing whether someone is a PAD supporter? Did she see anyone getting taken off a bus?

Edited by sriracha john

Reports on ASTV of buses being searched, buses being stopped on the Eastern seaboard, at least group of 500 was stopped in Phanat Nikhom near here.

Police have closed the gates of the temple close to the PAD stage. The temple had allowed portable toilets to be installed on it's grounds but now access is forbidden. Water supply to the temple has also been cut off.

So this evening I watched TOC nearly 1 hour interview with "The Democrats: Khun Korn (Finance Shadow Minister)" talking about the PAD rally tomorrow, and

the current ongoing goverment problems etc. Wow, I really must say these people, including Khun Abhisit are really the should be leaders!

You had your vote but the Democrats lost. Now you PAD (People against Democracy) nuts want to overthrow an elected government. (Again). Anything to gain power is worth it right, no mater how much you damage Thailand?

You had your vote but the Democrats lost. Now you PAD (People against Democracy) nuts want to overthrow an elected government. (Again). Anything to gain power is worth it right, no mater how much you damage Thailand?

And again :o

there is no "elected" government, as there are a zillion fraudulent cases from PPP at the last election.

dang gum Enter button... :o

Thanks for posting this eleven times.It did through repetition make me wonder whether any government in the world would allow a mob to take over or threaten to take over say the Kremlin, the White House, No 10 etc.By now the Chinese for example would have disbursed the whole caboodle and would not have been gentle about it.My own view is that the PAD has every right to demonstrate peacefully and it can actually make a real contribution to civil society in Thailand.The problem is its disreputable leadership (particularly the awful old fool Chamlong) and ridiculously over the top demands.I understand that most educated and upper middle class supporters have tired of PAD's stand though still sympathetic to its original objectives.Let's hope calm and common sense prevails but there always problems when an unruly mob comes up against a police force untrained in crowd control.

It did through repetition make me wonder whether any government in the world would allow a mob to take over or threaten to take over say the Kremlin, the White House, No 10 etc.

Did they say they are going to "take over"? There have been protests at the White House on a daily basis for decades.

Let's hope calm and common sense prevails but there always problems when an unruly mob comes up against a police force untrained in crowd control.

I agree. The DAAD mob is certainly unruly historically. Let's hope the ill-trained police can deal with them effectively.

Edited by sriracha john

dang gum Enter button... :o

Thanks for posting this eleven times.It did through repetition make me wonder whether any government in the world would allow a mob to take over or threaten to take over say the Kremlin, the White House, No 10 etc.By now the Chinese for example would have disbursed the whole caboodle and would not have been gentle about it.My own view is that the PAD has every right to demonstrate peacefully and it can actually make a real contribution to civil society in Thailand.The problem is its disreputable leadership (particularly the awful old fool Chamlong) and ridiculously over the top demands.I understand that most educated and upper middle class supporters have tired of PAD's stand though still sympathetic to its original objectives.Let's hope calm and common sense prevails but there always problems when an unruly mob comes up against a police force untrained in crowd control.

Hope so too.

When I was working for government, we used to have huge crowds set up camp around the MOF and in the ministry compound. Literally living there, doing their cooking, sleeping. Surrounded by banners protesting whatever they were protesting. There would be the weekly 'gee-up' rally (probably when they got their pay), and then they would all go back to hanging around again.

The longest protest by a couple of hundered rice farmers went on for many months. It was an example of protest and democracy at work

(albeit rent-a-crowd democracy). It was a not to subtle way to reminded the minister and senior civil servants who drove in each morning.

About 1,000 anti-PAD protesters have gathered in front of the Agriculture Ministry and vowed to prevent the PAD from besieging the seat of government. They are rallying at the rear of the PAD rallying site.

About 1,800 anti-riot police forces are deployed at nine main locations to keep peace and deter protesters from breaking barriers to reach Government House.

- The Nation (18 miniutes ago)