People's Alliance For Democracy To Renew Movement

sriracha john

Government warned of mass protests

The government has been warned to expect protests across the country by groups ranging from farmers to truckers who are struggling to survive due to the soaring cost of living. The government is facing not only the prolonged anti-government demonstration by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) at Makkhawan Rangsan bridge and its mini-rallies around Bangkok, but also protests by other interest groups that are spreading to other parts of the country. In Mae Hong Son, garlic farmers blocked traffic between Mae Hong Son's Mae Sariang district and Chiang Mai's Hot district while another group of garlic farmers have picketed outside the Mae Hong Son city hall since Monday. The farmers threatened to shut down Mae Hong Son airport if the government continued to ignore their plight. At the same time, hundreds of truckers in Rayong, Chon Buri, Samut Prakan and Nakhon Ratchasima stopped work, threatening a strike and to blockade the nation's highways next week if the government failed to respond quickly to their plight. The truckers insisted that without an immediate fuel subsidy from the government, they would go under. Wirot Romyes, a truckers' leader in Rayong, said heavy goods vehicles would converge on Bangkok with their vehicles on Tuesday if their problems were not addressed. Meanwhile, leaders of state enterprise unions will decide next Tuesday if they will lead 200,000 union members to join the PAD rally.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/12Jun2008_news01.php

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Government warned of mass protests

The government has been warned to expect protests across the country by groups ranging from farmers to truckers who are struggling to survive due to the soaring cost of living. The government is facing not only the prolonged anti-government demonstration by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) at Makkhawan Rangsan bridge and its mini-rallies around Bangkok, but also protests by other interest groups that are spreading to other parts of the country. In Mae Hong Son, garlic farmers blocked traffic between Mae Hong Son's Mae Sariang district and Chiang Mai's Hot district while another group of garlic farmers have picketed outside the Mae Hong Son city hall since Monday. The farmers threatened to shut down Mae Hong Son airport if the government continued to ignore their plight. At the same time, hundreds of truckers in Rayong, Chon Buri, Samut Prakan and Nakhon Ratchasima stopped work, threatening a strike and to blockade the nation's highways next week if the government failed to respond quickly to their plight. The truckers insisted that without an immediate fuel subsidy from the government, they would go under. Wirot Romyes, a truckers' leader in Rayong, said heavy goods vehicles would converge on Bangkok with their vehicles on Tuesday if their problems were not addressed. Meanwhile, leaders of state enterprise unions will decide next Tuesday if they will lead 200,000 union members to join the PAD rally.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/12Jun2008_news01.php

I think that amount of people who attend rallies are always complete wrong.

Never saw such wrong informations like now. xx.000 protesters are hundred in government-speak and hundreds of thousands in the ASTV-speak.

Don't underestimate state enterprise employees and other groups who are already quite pissed off and ready to join PAD.

That would be the instant death of this government.

Instant death of Samak's government or just the opposite. It would be a good reason for Samak to call a state of emergency, in which case he would immediately jail the heads of unions and point his finger at others for the country's ills. Let's hope that he doesn't find an excuse to do this.

Don't underestimate state enterprise employees and other groups who are already quite pissed off and ready to join PAD.

Instant death of Samak's government or just the opposite. It would be a good reason for Samak to call a state of emergency, in which case he would immediately jail the heads of unions and point his finger at others for the country's ills. Let's hope that he doesn't find an excuse to do this.

But that would only give him another week....a week without electric.....

but it could be a bloody week......

Erm, no it wouldn't.That would require an election victory for the opposition, or since this is Thailand another gang of uniformed criminals seizing power by force.Mass demonstrations could certainly weaken the government further, and Samak could be prompted to resign or take his case to the country.But it's not instant death.

Incidentally am I the only one to appreciate the irony of people who had no reluctance to criticise the smelly, uneducated, gullible up country rural electorate who are now salivating at the prospect of hordes of such reprobates joining up in a giant PAD.Actually it's mainly a product of wish fulfilment and inflamed imaginations but the stupendous hypocrisy is there none the less.

Thailand's labor is not well organized and if union leaders are sidelined I suspect everyone would go right back to work. In addition, if the government had to step in and declare a state of emergency, it would allow Samak to consolidate his power and prolong his time in office. Samak is no fool. We all saw how quickly he wanted to jump in against the PAD. A general strike could provide the catalyst instead. It would no longer be about Thaksin, a constitutional re-write, a declining economy etc., but about Samak jumping in to stabilize the country. It would buy him time until something else comes along to buy him more time. This guy is a survivor.

Samak is not invincible - if his own party and coalition partners turn on him together, he won't be able to stay in office.

He won't be able to pull emergency degree either - he tried already, no one listened to him, even Chalerm.

The last week showed his MO at the moment - avoid public protests at all costs, give everyrone everything, just keep them off the streets.

Thailand's labor is not well organized and if union leaders are sidelined I suspect everyone would go right back to work. In addition, if the government had to step in and declare a state of emergency, it would allow Samak to consolidate his power and prolong his time in office. Samak is no fool. We all saw how quickly he wanted to jump in against the PAD. A general strike could provide the catalyst instead. It would no longer be about Thaksin, a constitutional re-write, a declining economy etc., but about Samak jumping in to stabilize the country. It would buy him time until something else comes along to buy him more time. This guy is a survivor.

If he don't get problems with the state labors, he has some other hugh problems to face. The southern people may come to Bangkok and fight. If he can prevent that, the southerns may start with their idea to separate the south at Chumphon. Than that "don't pay tax anymore" move will start again. Internal PPP people will see the chance to take his job. Coalition partners will play all the time with the idea to step out of the government. The Thai Baht may go down and the heavy weight business groups get angry.

That might be just too many things to control at the same time or it may happen that he wins like the Suchinda regime won.

Yes that guy is an amazing survivor, but state of emergency is like jumping in a anthill.

I hope we don't see it at all........

Samak is not invincible - if his own party and coalition partners turn on him together, he won't be able to stay in office.

He won't be able to pull emergency degree either - he tried already, no one listened to him, even Chalerm.

The last week showed his MO at the moment - avoid public protests at all costs, give everyrone everything, just keep them off the streets.

You are exactly correct in stating it is his MO at the moment. In Thai politics, your worst enemy today can be your best friend tomorrow. While Samak's entourage may not have accepted his plans two weeks ago, positions change and he has time. It is highly unlikely that the alleged nominees will abandon him prior to the constitution being re-written. When it comes to political survival, don't underestimate Samak.

Violent crackdown of any sorts will be the end of the government, that was the only reason they restrained themselves last time, I believe, not out of the goodness of their hearts, I bet they are itching to lay their hands on PAD.

Also it's not only political decision - the police and the army need to support it, too, and they don't won't bloodshed yet. I think even the most militant commanders prefer for someone else to start it so they can come off as saviours.

Violent crackdown of any sorts will be the end of the government, that was the only reason they restrained themselves last time, I believe, not out of the goodness of their hearts, I bet they are itching to lay their hands on PAD.

Also it's not only political decision - the police and the army need to support it, too, and they don't won't bloodshed yet. I think even the most militant commanders prefer for someone else to start it so they can come off as saviours.

Hopefully nothing happens except the coalition parties wake up and try to put something else together. Still, Samak is Samak. He has more lives than the disbanded TRT. I don't see a general strike happening in Thailand for a long time, but some event like this along with PAD demonstrations may well move things in a different direction.

At the PAD demonstration the sell some TShirts with ugly pics from 1992.

Writing: "We loose to win"

That brings it to the point and Chamlong is well known for what he did.....

Lets hope it does not get a victory like that again.

I may be wide of the mark here, but I somehow got the impression that a crackdown did not occur because the police and/or army refused to do so.

I can't be arsed to dig out threads or press reports now but I vaguely remember the police stating, after Samaks threat of a crack down, that they would rather negotiate with the PAD than use force. And I very much doubt that military would side with the PPP to the point of using force.

Maybe I have mis-interpreted the situation but I read it as the police and military forces pretty much rejected an order by Samak to use force.

I may be wide of the mark here, but I somehow got the impression that a crackdown did not occur because the police and/or army refused to do so.

I can't be arsed to dig out threads or press reports now but I vaguely remember the police stating, after Samaks threat of a crack down, that they would rather negotiate with the PAD than use force. And I very much doubt that military would side with the PPP to the point of using force.

Maybe I have mis-interpreted the situation but I read it as the police and military forces pretty much rejected an order by Samak to use force.

From what was reported in the media, Samak gave no direct order to use force, but rather threatened that he would use force if the PAD didn't disband by the end of the day. During the day he was informed that he wouldn't have the support he would need to carry that out. He then back peddled his position.

From what was reported in the media, Samak gave no direct order to use force, but rather threatened that he would use force if the PAD didn't disband by the end of the day. During the day he was informed that he wouldn't have the support he would need to carry that out. He then back peddled his position.

Yeah, something like that.

The point being that he didn't use force out of fear that it would be the end of his government nor out of goodness :o:D . But because the Police and Army said NO!

It may have just been a threat, as opposed to an order, but we can only speculate as to what may have happened should the support have been there.

But could be that they told him that they can't do it for any reasons......

I still recall when Thaksin wanted to cut the electric for the PAD and it wasn't possible as there were no technician who knew how to do it (of course complete nonsense).

there are rumors that they play similar games with Samak.

I saw footage of Samak standing in front of the cameras for a few minutes, silent, you couldn't tell if his mind had just snapped or if he was raging mad but not saying a word, holding it all back like the Hoover dam. He actually looked more like an aging zoo gorilla staring around and over the shoulders of visitors for a few minutes, strangest Thai news footage I've ever seen.

Edited by Tony Clifton

The point being that he didn't use force out of fear that it would be the end of his government nor out of goodness :o:D . But because the Police and Army said NO!

Disapproval aong coalition allies and even within PPP over Samak's statement was widely reported. The army and police came out several times during the day and say they'd follow orders, riot police was eventually deployed and geared up for assault, the situation was really tense at about 6pm with only a meter separating two sides. It looked really grim.

Disapproval aong coalition allies and even within PPP over Samak's statement was widely reported. The army and police came out several times during the day and say they'd follow orders, riot police was eventually deployed and geared up for assault, the situation was really tense at about 6pm with only a meter separating two sides. It looked really grim.

That the army and police came out several times during the day to tell that they follow orders may mean exactly the opposite.

and they didn't had much riot police, maybe half of the units did not come because of some lame excuse, than they saw that Chamlong is ready to fight and got the idea that they would try it peacefull first. One unit was seen still not arriving in Bangkok at midnight For me it looks like soft resistance to Samak.

Military personnel have right to rally, says army chief

BANGKOK, June 13 (TNA) – Army Commander-in-Chief Gen. Anupong Paochinda on Friday hinted that military personnel have the right to join gatherings of anti-government groups, but their actions must not affect their performance.

"It is considered improper if uniformed military personnel join a rally. However, it is their right to participate in any activities unless it affects their performance," he said.

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has been demonstrating in Bangkok's Rajadamnern Nok Road since May 25.

From TOC:

PM Orders Interior Minister to Deal with ASTV

UPDATE : 13 June 2008

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has assigned Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung to put a stop to the live broadcast of the People's Alliance for Democracy. Chalerm says local cable tv networks are prohibited to broadcast the PAD rally. He says the PAD rally violates the laws because it's causing chaos in the country.

End of quote

which law???

somehow Calerm reminds me at Comical Ali....Comical Chalerm....

No such law.

Chalerm's interview was broadcast at the PAD rally and he made an ass of himself as cable companies have replied that there is no such law and they will keep broadcasting ASTV's signal.

If they shut them down, they will end up with an even bigger street protest.

Chalerm should stick to what he knows best, numbing his brain with whiskey and getting his sons out of trouble.

What a fool..

Asides from the fact that surely no such law even exists, does he really think that such censorship will help rather than make the matter worse? The PAD must be loving this.

No doubt there will be some press release today/tomorrow claiming that he was "Mis-represented", and that no such order was ever given. :o

Whenever the PAD demonstrations get boring the two clowns comical Mak and comical Chalerm comes and makes it interesting again.

I am sure the two must work undercover to support PAD. They can't be really that silly, or?

I saw footage of Samak standing in front of the cameras for a few minutes, silent, you couldn't tell if his mind had just snapped or if he was raging mad but not saying a word, holding it all back like the Hoover dam. He actually looked more like an aging zoo gorilla staring around and over the shoulders of visitors for a few minutes, strangest Thai news footage I've ever seen.

I missed the footage. The newspapers reported he was upset at the media for bothering him when he was meeting with the coalition parties so he stared at them without saying a word for about 2 minutes. Never a dull moment with this PM, even when he is silent.

Whenever the PAD demonstrations get boring the two clowns comical Mak and comical Chalerm comes and makes it interesting again.

I am sure the two must work undercover to support PAD. They can't be really that silly, or?

And it's quite hilarious to see and hear the crowd react when Samak or Chalerm's face is displayed on the giant screens at the rally where their comments and interviews are replayed for all to hear the contradictions and humiliating reactions. They provide PAD with good material every other day or so. Docteuh Chalerm was again waving his index finger at the crowd today in a Hu Jin Tao fashion (Chinese PM). :o The PPP and partisan heads will keep rolling.

It will only take one silly action from one individual to cause the spark that will ignite this whole powder keg of power play.

It's no more a case of will be more a case of when.

I have 2 daughters due to come out at the end of July ticket is paid, not sure if i will let them come, at the moment as my feeling is its going to get very ugly soon.

The sad thing for me is that many good people are hurting at the moment and it will be these people who once again come the worse off.

One man can stop this but is silent for the moment.

Thailand badly needs an leader in government who understands fairness to the common people. I see only crooks at the moment playing games.

I hope i am very wrong how i think this will end.

And it's quite hilarious to see and hear the crowd react when Samak or Chalerm's face is displayed on the giant screens at the rally where their comments and interviews are replayed for all to hear the contradictions and humiliating reactions. They provide PAD with good material every other day or so. Docteuh Chalerm was again waving his index finger at the crowd today in a Hu Jin Tao fashion (Chinese PM). :o The PPP and partisan heads will keep rolling.

I would give "honorary member" of PAD for comical Mak and comical Chalerm.

If let them demonstrate and walk first. Samak-o-saurus tells he understand and trys his best to improve and would meet with all PAD members to solve national problems the demonstrations would die down.

No he block the bridge which is the most stupid place.

People got tired, Sondi sick, Chamlong can't motivate people, but thanks to clown mak spoke on saturday and people came again.

Now it got boring again clown Chalerm came.

Samak and Chalerm must be PAD agents to undermine the government, it is not possible to be so stupid. If they don't do anything PAD would die...