Thai Announces 9 New Routes

george

THAI announces 9 new routes

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI), the national flag carrier, today flew in the face of the global oil price crisis by announcing nine new direct flight routes, which the airline's vice president said would help boost business by 6.8 percent over the next five years.

Disclosing details of the new routes this morning, Mr. Kobchai Sriwilat said that under the airline's expansion plans, it would introduce direct flights to nine cities, including New York, Moscow, Johannesburg, Christchurch and Hiroshima.

Expressing confidence that the airline's business would grow by 6.8 percent over the next five years, he said that the airline would focus its expansion plans on India, China and Japan.

In 2010, the airline also plans to boost its fleet with the purchase of 14 new aircraft, including Airbus A-380s and smaller Boeings.

Although low cost airlines have emerged as major competitors over the past few months, Mr. Kobchai today shrugged off their impact on THAI's operations, saying that most 'no-frills' passengers were first-time flyers, rather than potential THAI customers.

--THA 2004-09-21

saying that most 'no-frills' passengers were first-time flyers

That is an absolute crock of s##t. In fact, the new " no frills" airlines are making a killing, with online bookings and e ticketings. Most of the customer baseare disgruntled frequent flyers who prefer to get their moneys' worth, instead of paying ridiculous prices for sub standard service and complimentary peanuts.....

I am sure it has hurt them in a big way. I have used Air Asia earlier this month and I highly recommend it....Bkk-Singapore-Bkk for 3,600 baht....... :o