Best Value Booze

Flatouthruthefog

. . . . . If you like the deep smoke flavours, and for an after-dinner digestif, you could not go too far wrong with an island Malt, such as Lagavullin from the Isle of Islay. . . . .

Aaaahhhhh (falling tone, followed by rising tone). Lagavulin, one of my all-time favourites, although I haven't had it in years. Then, on a completely different note from the same isle, another favourite, Laphroaig. Mmmmmm.

. . . . . I wish I hadn't started reading this thread now!

Me three.

YES YES YES !!!! My taste exactly !!!

In that case, one more thought: Talisker. . . . sigh . . . . :o

Keep it in that order.....I am almost drooling now ....

adjan jb is French. He knows! :D

That sort of statement always intrigues me. It

Just because he comes from France doesn't mean he knows jack about champagne other than it comes from a province in France. He may be one of those few Frenchman that thinks they make decent beer there.

CB

Or I may be one of those few Frenchmen who know that Champagne, being a proper noun, deserves a capital letter. :D

My thinking would be that Champagne the province would be capital being a proper noun but champagne the drink is not a proper noun and therefore spelled with a miniscule. Now Beer being a proper drink would be spelled with a capital as a reference to the high esteem in which it is held.

:o

CB

My thinking would be that Champagne the province would be capital being a proper noun but champagne the drink is not a proper noun and therefore spelled with a miniscule . . . . .

And your thinking -- in this case, at least! :o -- would be wholly correct.

My thinking would be that Champagne the province would be capital being a proper noun but champagne the drink is not a proper noun and therefore spelled with a miniscule . . . . .

And your thinking -- in this case, at least! :D -- would be wholly correct.

And I am happy my Canadian/American international legal adviser so agrees.

CB

CB

You lucky thing, you get even more than you thought for your money -- I am actually a blend of Japanese, Canadian (both Anglo- and Franco-), American, English and, now, a teensy tiny nitnooi tad Thai.

adjan jb is French. He knows! :D

That sort of statement always intrigues me. It

Just because he comes from France doesn't mean he knows jack about champagne other than it comes from a province in France. He may be one of those few Frenchman that thinks they make decent beer there.

CB

Or I may be one of those few Frenchmen who know that Champagne, being a proper noun, deserves a capital letter. :D

My thinking would be that Champagne the province would be capital being a proper noun but champagne the drink is not a proper noun and therefore spelled with a miniscule.

CB

I stand corrected.

I thought Armagnac was made from apples :o

I fear you are confusing the King of Normandy drinks, Calvados, with Armagnac the (arguably) Emperor of Brandies from the foothills of the Pyrenées. Armagnac, or a similar spirit, has been produced in that region since Roman times and may well be the oldest continually produced spirit on the planet. I know of no other that comes close.

I thought Armagnac was made from apples :o

I fear you are confusing the King of Normandy drinks, Calvados, with Armagnac the (arguably) Emperor of Brandies from the foothills of the Pyrenées. Armagnac, or a similar spirit, has been produced in that region since Roman times and may well be the oldest continually produced spirit on the planet. I know of no other that comes close.

Dear Sir p1p! You are of course right, and I was wrong. :D

Cheers anyway :D

CB

You lucky thing, you get even more than you thought for your money -- I am actually a blend of Japanese, Canadian (both Anglo- and Franco-), American, English and, now, a teensy tiny nitnooi tad Thai.

post-36525-1204184103.jpg

:D

CB

If I have a few large Singha's, then I get a nice buzz on. If I have half a Chang, I get a hangover for two days. Sometimes get sick too.

---

I like various Scotch's - don't know them well and I not great on names etc. But I do remember liking Laphroaig. I also enjoyed a cask-strength Bowmore I picked up in duty-free years ago.

---

Tops and Rimping have an acceptable Vietnamese version of the Japanese plum wine Ume-Shu (about 250bt). Considering that the Japanese Choya (15%) is 4 times the price, this is a good deal. It is in a rectangular 600ml bottle with an orangy label. Says on the label 'Mild Ume Tairiku - 12%'. I pop it in the deep-freeze and then drain the stronger drink, leaving the ice crystals behind. I have ice-distilled it down to where it will actually flambe!

---

But for Thai spirits, there is a little known product I think is really good. SangSom makes what they call an 'international rum' named SIMILAN. 80 proof, smooth, nice flavour, and I can hammer back 8-10 Cuba Libres*, get hammered myself, and not have any hangover - good clean booze. 180bt, but it is really hard to find.

Really hard to fine - don't know why. But I always stock up when I see it somewhere!

*Cuba Libre = rum, coke, lime juice

=== === ===

ps - A Japanese person might not know much about karate, but I'd bet most would know quite a bit about sushi...

Edited by wjmark

But for Thai spirits, there is a little known product I think is really good. SangSom makes what they call an 'international rum' named SIMILAN. 80 proof, smooth, nice flavour, and I can hammer back 8-10 Cuba Libres*, get hammered myself, and not have any hangover - good clean booze. 180bt, but it is really hard to find.

Sugar based spirits such as rum and I don't get on well but this one is interesting. Not one I have seen anywhere but now that you have told everyone on this forum it will probably be even harder to find :D

ps - A Japanese person might not know much about karate, but I'd bet most would know quite a bit about sushi...

I know quite a lot about Japanese food but it was not part of my birthright. Being Japanese does not magically give them knowledge about. Like everyone else they have to acquire it by experience and application :o

CB

I know quite a lot about Japanese food but it was not part of my birthright. Being Japanese does not magically give them knowledge about. Like everyone else they have to acquire it by experience and application :o

CB

Well of course it is cultural, not genetic, or magical! And upon reflection the odds are huge that an average Japanese male would know more karate than an average Westerner - I believe that all Japanese boys must take it in high school, and have done so for many years...

experience and application

===

Regarding the Similan - it comes in a brown box. And I still have 3 1/2 bottles, so thanks for worrying about me, but I'm ok!

Edited by wjmark

You got me scared, so I went to a shop I know has Similan, and bought a couple more bottles! I took the last two bottles in the window.

For those interested, they say that they have more in stock.

The shop is in Thanin Market, just west of Chang Puak rd between the moat and Superhighway.

The shop is not in the covered market section, but on the northern lane that borders the market. They have all sorts of bottle piled in the window, and they did say they have more Similan in the back. And only 160 baht!

Good luck, hope you enjoy it. Think I'll have a Cuba Libre right now! Lots of ice!

post-55564-1204362391_thumb.jpg

You got me scared, so I went to a shop I know has Similan, and bought a couple more bottles! I took the last two bottles in the window.

For those interested, they say that they have more in stock.

The shop is in Thanin Market, just west of Chang Puak rd between the moat and Superhighway.

The shop is not in the covered market section, but on the northern lane that borders the market. They have all sorts of bottle piled in the window, and they did say they have more Similan in the back. And only 160 baht!

Good luck, hope you enjoy it. Think I'll have a Cuba Libre right now! Lots of ice!

I'd forgotten all about Similan, got to agree much better than san song, I used to buy it at Tops but must admit I haven't seen it there for a while.

I enjoy the taste of tequila, amaretto, sambucca and many other alcohols. I have no problem drinking fruity cocktails, I enjoy them and on the off chance someone comments on my girly taste, I kindly point out that my drink has much more alcohol so their's must be the "woman's drink" and we could get into a manly competition of how many sambucca shots we can take but I am drinking to enjoy it...

Btw does everyone know about www.idrink.com you can enter you whole liquor collection and press submit and you will get many possible drink combinations.

For those who like the Bombay Sapphire style of gin but baulk at the price - try Contessa Gin (about 240 baht for 70cl at Lotus). Made in India, it comes pretty d**ned close to the BS (Bombay Sapphire :o ) taste for about a fifth of the price. As ever, it needs a good class of tonic to produce the classic G&T.

There's also Contessa general purpose vodka - but it's like a hundred others. Vodka has never been my thing unless it's one of the exotic flavoured varieties e.g. "bison grass" etc - and then it's got to be from the freezer.

The Similan suggestion definitely sounds worth following up - I've been a happy Sang Som swigger since it was still called Sang Thip :D .

Does anyone know of a local (cheaper) alternative to Underberg? Or Jaegermeister?

• 6 months later...

********************************************************************************

TALISKER & LAGAVULIN!!!! The 2 malts(1 being Islay) that were being "discussed/referred to" above,..I was wondering if any of

the above posters et. al. have ever been able to buy/find them here in Thailand???

I live in Pattaya and would gladly travel to Bangkok(or wherever) to get these bottles :D .Interestingly,here in Pattaya I can buy

Laphroaig,10 year old O.B./70cl/43%(1490 baht) and Bowmore,12 year old O.B./70cl/43%(2250 baht) ....so it's great to be able to

get 2 Islay malts.

BUT....If anyone out there has ever come across ANY ONE OF......LAGAVULIN /ARDBEG /TALISKER /HIGHLAND PARK/

CAOL ILA....................................................

then I'd appreciate the info. on how/where to get it :o:D

Have a good one all........

In that case, one more thought: Talisker. . . . sigh . . . . :D

Edited by lalana

Sorry folks.....found this thread discussion on a drink-related search.(non-Freudian)Only after posting did I realise that it's on the

Chiang Mai bleedin' forum :o Aw well....if anyone "does" have any info,regardless,I'm all ears :D

Edited by lalana

No worries, lalana.

However, the thread is about cheap booze....not sure if single malt Islay qualifies :o

Yep,you're dead right there...single Islay malt isn't exactly standard fare :D .

Although,I could be pedantic and theorize(just like Einstein) that everything is relative.Hennessy "Paradis" Cognac is on sale

for 25,600 baht in Foodland Supermarket(Pattaya) + as for 35 year old Armagnac the price is almost double the Paradis price :D .

This makes the Islay look like a real cheap bargain....relative to the Paradis and Armagnac......although relative to a couple of

bottles of big Chang out of a 7-11....of course a good single malt is crazily expensive!!!!!!!!

Anyway,I'm rambling on,thanks for the response and of course you're right :D

If anyone DOES have any leads on where to source out my hooch though that'd be great.