Royal Visit To Thai Embassy, London

wolf5370

I was very privileged to be at the Thai Embassy in London last Thursday for the visit of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn เจ้าฟ้าหญิงมหาจักรีสิรินธร.

My wife was giving a concert for her (part of the Thai Classical Orchestra) – she plays the Kim. Her Royal Highness gave an informal speech and then walked from room to room greeting everyone and watched the concert. She even played three pieces; two on the ranad ek (like a xylophone crossed with a hammock) and one with a saw duang (bowed instrument – looks like a stringed Driver (golf club)). It was impromptu, but the Princess played flawlessly with the Orchestra.

There was a named list of guests and few farangs were in attendance. It was videoed by a professional TV film crew and was pumped directly to plasma screens outside (and in different rooms) for visitors that could not get into the main room, or indeed, in the Embassy at all.

The Princess came across as demure, and down to earth. Her short speech made for several rounds of laughter. She reminded us that she had not visited the UK for 37 years. The speech was completely in Thai. I was in awe, especially to the obvious love of her country men (women).

I sat on the floor at the front of the ‘congregation’ – I was no more than 2 meters away. I took 2 reels of film (50 pics) some of which I’ll put in my gallery here when I get around to scanning them in.

Princess Sirindhorn has always been my favorite...What a brain that woman has! :o

The last year (about 10 years ago) that The King gave out the diplomas at CMU before retiring from that duty, he brought Princess Sirindhorn along with him. A few of us Farang Ajarns were also invited to greet them, and it was one of my most cherished memories (forget about the fact that I had been standing for 2 hours waiting their arrival)

We only had a moment with them, but it was great. The King greeted us first in Thai, then English. When he made eye contact with me, my legs started to get weak- I was petrified that he would ask me something. Though now I wish he had :D

Yes, that's exactly as I felt too. Petrified she would ask me something. She just smiled and moved on (I probably looked a right pratt!).

I was one of the first in as my wife turned up early to tune her Kim. I spent 5 hours sitting on the floor waiting for the visit. As time went on, the space between me and the masking-tape-boundary on the floor was diminished so far I could do nothing except kneel sidways. I am not built for floor sitting - and that's a fact! I avoided drinking the water I brought with me for fear of loosing my space. I managed to expand my territory a little as others went to the hong-nahm. :o

Everyone ignored the "no photos when she sits down" rule, so I did too (but not as obviously/blatantly as some of the Thais!). At least I could pretend I didn't understand the instruction - the 'rules' were spoken out by the ambassidor's assistant in Thai just before Her Royal Highness arrived.

She seems to have lost weight; she looked very slim. I don't know if this is because the TV adds 10 pounds or because she has lost weight.

PS: She is one of my favourites too. Continues Mama's (Grandmother's) and Fathers good work with the Hill Tribes and citizens of LOS. I was very impressed.

Yep. Mention 'Mae Fa Luang' to many Northerners, and their faces light up with a big smile. She was truly loved here, and is sorely missed.

You mentioned about the sitting....

I once had visions of being a monk, but after seeing how they sat, I knew I wouldn't last long at that calling... :o

I read somewhere that their was a Princess that was married to an American and not to long ago divorced and went back to Thailand,  Is This True??

Princess Ubolrat Ratchakanya (a very beautiful 53 years old) was married to Peter Jenson. She divorced, and is back living in Thailand with her daughters.

I read somewhere that their was a Princess that was married to an American and not to long ago divorced and went back to Thailand,  Is This True??

Princess Ubolrat Ratchakanya (a very beautiful 53 years old) was married to Peter Jenson. She divorced, and is back living in Thailand with her daughters.

I recently saw her on a program about thai zoo's in the states, She's 53 :o She didn't look that old. :D

I live in florida and had the Prince visit a nearby Wat last summer The Wat was charging well they called it donations $500 US Dollars to see him.
That is tragic. Many people would not be able to afford that. I am sure the Prince would have liked to see many of his people, and amny of the less afluent Thais would like to have seen him. Disgracefull for a wat to do this; shame on the Long Por. :o

She had to abdicate her right of succession to the throne. The crown prince and his children are first in line (second born) and Princess Sirindhorn follows as third child of the King (Princess Sirindhorn was given the title of Maha Chakri which is as close to being called crown princess as you can get without actually saying it).

I live in florida and had the Prince visit a nearby Wat last summer The Wat was charging well they called it donations $500 US Dollars to see him.

That is tragic. Many people would not be able to afford that. I am sure the Prince would have liked to see many of his people, and amny of the less afluent Thais would like to have seen him. Disgracefull for a wat to do this; shame on the Long Por. :o

I went by there because I hade never seen the Wat before There were hundreds of people outside on the grounds Can't say how many people inside,

Wat1.jpg

this is the wat in florida

Isn't it forbidden to speak about these people? ;-)

Well the guidelines actually say...

No disrespect of the King of Thailand or The Thai Royal Family!

.... as the above post are not disrespectful to The King or The Thai Royal Family but are informative and positive I would say there is no breach of the guidelines :D:D

totster :o

You don't REALLY believe that the money went to the Wat do you?

Or to the Abbot for that matter.