Being Booted/banned From The Kingdom

Dr. Burrito

I have an associate, I won't say friend, because he's not, he's an associate. He and another foreigner have recently combined companies, sort of anyway, and between the two of them, have told them repeatedly, they are operating way out of the proper boundaries of Thailand.

'Ah, not to worry, we know bigshots. We are protected from trouble,' and all that sort of thing.

Long story short, I hope anyway.

- Proxy company, though supposedly approved for BOI status.

- Four or five foreigners and about four Thais.

- Cracked software producing commercial work.

The reason I am asking is they are always wanting us to use them as a subcontractor and I keep telling him no for these reasons. I am afraid anything we produce with their services may be tainted by association.

I am so not an expert on how these things work in Thailand. Are these guys actually doing what everyone is doing and are in little or no danger of being booted or are they skating on thin ice?

Dr. B

Hmmm,.....BOI approved, but no investment capital for legitimate software licenses....

Like I said, these guys have a list of issues.... Scares me to think of what would happen if I did it.

Dr. B

Stay far far away. When the shoe drops you don't want to get hit.

The reason I am asking is they are always wanting us to use them as a subcontractor and I keep telling him no for these reasons.

If you do not want to use their services - Don't use their services - And don't feel obliged to give a reason.

I'd ber more concerned with foreign entity/gov't responses. Last year, EU sent investigation teams into Canada, world center of pirating and started going to companies that had vague links to the pirates and telling them they would be blacklisted. Maybe they can or maybe they can't do that but they surely sent a message.

If you got to ask yourself this question you know there has got to be a risk!

sounds like the pyramid scam....There has got to be penny's on the ice for someone do you feel like going for a skate?

I would avoid this one like the plaque!

Well, if he's only an associate, you don't owe the guy anything after all.

Associate or Friend...it shouldn't matter. If your company is in a position that it NEEDS this type of association, then your company is doomed to fail by this very association.

On the other hand, if you are a well-organized and progressive company, then you don't need this association to jeopardize your business.

Open your umbrella and walk through this storm to sunnier pastures.

Well, if he's only an associate, you don't owe the guy anything after all.

Associate or Friend...it shouldn't matter. If your company is in a position that it NEEDS this type of association, then your company is doomed to fail by this very association.

On the other hand, if you are a well-organized and progressive company, then you don't need this association to jeopardize your business.

Open your umbrella and walk through this storm to sunnier pastures.

Nah, we won't die without their services. Mostly, it's that he and his mates seem like nice enough guys and I'd rather see them do well than bad. He and I used to both work at another place before he went into business for himself, so there has been a continuing association based on that more than anything else.

On the other hand, if they are on the slippery slope, then so be it too.

I think I might have misspoke above to when I said scares me think of what would happen if I did it. I wasn't referring to doing business with them so much as what would happen if we were organized the same way and taking such chances, though doing business with them is clearly not the best option either.

That said, given the amount of proxy firms 'owned' by foreigners here, perhaps he is insulated by sheer volume. For his sake, I certainly hope so anyway.

Dr. B

Hmmm,.....BOI approved, but no investment capital for legitimate software licenses....

Like I said, these guys have a list of issues.... Scares me to think of what would happen if I did it.

Dr. B

Well ... You know them ... And we don't. :o

Naka.