Land Upgrades

My wife said this is impossible, since this land belongs to the government and the right to use this land has been given to a Thai citizen with the understanding that the land will never leave the hands of that particular family. In other words those outside the family cannot buy the land.

However, note that we did convert our to Chanote, based on some old old records that her family had managed to keep over 100 years showing that they onwed the land outright. It took 3 years. Had a land survey conducted then we paid the taxes and finally the governments land office issued the chanote, which we placed into my daughters name.

Edited by mouse

The problem with the question is the answer will always be in Thailand "it depends"..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=170469

I have known and heard of all manner of land titles becoming other titles, but did these happen in a transparent and legal way without people being paid ?? I would be my back teeth they didnt just happen !! Then for ever after theres the problem of such an activity being called into question (same as the multi 100m perhaps billion baht project in Phuket a couple of years ago, where despite the top law offices in the country all checking the land titles a change a decade or so back from Sor Por Kor to Nor sor sam gor stopped the whole thing) so its a case of just living with what you can do IMO.

If you have connections, if you know anyone nai yok, if you can do what Thais do.. Then you have a chance but always in the back of your mind you have the possible comeback.