Motion Sensors And Timers

ClaudeFeller

Going to Phuket monday. At this ocasion I will try to find something we dont have here in Samui:

- Motion sensors - not the ones with big alarm light but the ones to connect to already existing lightings

- Timers - these easy things to switch on/off a plug according to the exact time

Where in Phuket??

THX for advices, Claude

Going to Phuket monday. At this ocasion I will try to find something we dont have here in Samui:

- Motion sensors - not the ones with big alarm light but the ones to connect to already existing lightings

- Timers - these easy things to switch on/off a plug according to the exact time

Where in Phuket??

THX for advices, Claude

I am NOT from Phuket, but 50km North of BKK, here they have both items in Home Pro, but the Timers are on 'offer' at Tesco for 199 baht.. same ones at Home Pro are 345 baht, these are the simple ones.. as prices go up to arount 1,600 baht for the delux digital ones.

LivingInKata is right about Keehin: It’s the only relatively decent trade electrical supplier in Phuket. But be prepared for often unhelpful staff, VERY slow service when paying, and all the usual frustrations.

I’ve been building a house in Phuket for nearly three years, which includes a complex electrical and home automation installation, so have been through all the sourcing problems!

The plug-in timers should be no great trouble to find.

But separate PIR detectors, used to switch remote lighting circuits are not stocked here. Or at least I could not find any. Sensor lights are available, but they are either rubbish quality or double the western price. But you don’t want them anyway.

For most of my PIR sensors, I ordered from the UK. I’ve used Danlers PIRs for years, and have found then excellent quality and reliable. See:

http://www.danlers.co.uk/

I use the CEFL model, which fits nicely into a plasterboard (‘gypsum’) ceiling.

They often come up on EBay so there are bargains available.

There are many other models, including those designed to replace a standard wall switch, and which do not need a neutral.

If you are really stuck, you can order wall-mounted Btcino PIR models in Phuket. Type N4432 fits a two-module faceplate on a standard horizontal wall switch box. But the wiring is a bit tight and you need to use a deep ‘handibox’, or better, the yellow plastic type, which is bigger.

I ordered three of these from HomePro, which took months, cost a fortune, and were not worth the wait. They are a bit plasticy: the integrated ON-OFF-AUTO switch feels easily breakable. Plus they do not have a very good detection range compared with ceiling-mounted models.

Good luck!