Are You Living Differently?

ThePreacher

i don't even know what they all are. there is too many of them and it is applied differently everywhere. I just know its getting cinfusing and not worth the time to try and figure it out. nothing about immigration and tourism and working and contributing to thai society and everything about dragging out the process and collecting more money and finding institutionalized ways to steal money from people whom they regard as rich. we are the trees that money grows on.

Was refused a non-immigrant again (too young), so I am on a triple entry tourist, hope to carry on this way until I'll be 50.

Stay at home most of the time, got scared by a very thorough police on the spot search in Suk.rd. I get easily intimidated by these serious-attitude guys looking into my underpants.

"The retirement non-imm. was the one I was closest to fulfilling the requirements, they said, looking at my details. 'Only' the age wasn't right.

Curious, are you married to a Thai? if you are then you can try this, you need 400,000 in bank more if you can or income to that amount with evidence, get a non o visa and then apply for the year at local immigration, no age requirement on that you just state you are supporting your wife and hand over a few photo copies of your passport, marriage cert and letter from bank showing your money within the last 10 days, you must go with your wife I think, and she has to show id card and Ta bien ban book whatever that is, think it is her stated address. I am under 40 and have been doing this for two years I did get a visit from the immigration police to check my address and had to visit visit to the police station first time around, nothing weird or under the counter, I did all that in Nongkai and I just have to go to local immigration every 3 months for routine check in then a longer visit at the end of the year to repeat the bank and documents process, total cost 2000 baht a year including photocopies.

Not sure if I just got lucky but there is process for this situation and worth a try for the money saving alone.

Good luck

moziman

Ps sorry bit off topic but in answer to the orginal question new policies haven't affected me other than having to make sure I have 400,000 instead of 200,000 in the bank.

Thanks for the well meant comments, to be precise, I did want an initial 3 months non imm. to be extended in Thailand. As I said, I had the documentation I thought was needed, including the 800.000 in a Thai bank. I am not married, and don't have the required money to invest for other non imm. visas, but I'll be ok as long as i can get more tourist visas.

The change in regulations is causing uncertainty about whether or not I will be able to stay in Thailand. I don't know how the new laws will affect me, and how future laws may affect me if there are more changes.

This may affect my decision about what kind of apartment rental agreement I will make. Making month by month arrangements instead of one year agreements limits the available apartments and probably increases the price.

stroll is right. Most contracts I made over the time had a clause to the effect that one can get out, if have to leave the country by reason of the employment cancelled, or similar.

Usually the deposit be forfeited if it happens in the first year.

you are all making excuses to make yourself feel better about following crazy rules. I have to go report in "only" 4 times per year. Just go to malaysia or singapore, etc. etc.

does anyone going to our countries have to do this crap? what does singapore have to do with an american or brit or whoever that goes to work in thailand?

are we all criminals? are we living in some communist or facist state? why do we need to report?

why do we have to carry our passports on us at all times? see above. our passports are valuable and they are totally disrespected.

people who live and work in our countries don't have all this hoopla and uncertainty always hanging over their heads. how do you know one day when you go to report, you won't become a victim of extortion or worse? how can you predict when one day, you won't be allowed back in after a visa run? you don't.

in our countries, visas are done once, at the beginning. people are told they are allowed to live and work in the country and that is that. they can then go live like human beings. not like animals.

you are all making excuses to make yourself feel better about following crazy rules.  I have to go report in "only" 4 times per year.  Just go to malaysia or singapore, etc. etc. 

does anyone going to our countries have to do this crap?  what does singapore have to do with an american or brit or whoever that goes to work in thailand?

are we all criminals?  are we living in some communist or facist state?  why do we need to report?

why do we have to carry our passports on us at all times?  see above.  our passports are valuable and they are totally disrespected.

people who live and work in our countries don't have all this hoopla and uncertainty always hanging over their heads.  how do you know one day when you go to report, you won't become a victim of extortion or worse?  how can you predict when one day, you won't be allowed back in after a visa run?  you don't.

in our countries, visas are done once, at the beginning.  people are told they are allowed to live and work in the country and that is that.  they can then go live like human beings.  not like animals.

Your feelings are always valid for you, of course.

Your feelings are not always valid for me, of course.

Watch the mass projections.... :o

Anyway, sorry things didn't work out for you in Thailand, for whatever the reason. If you have dashed dreams, I'm sorry. Nobody wants to have that happen, but sometimes shit does happen, no matter how hard we feel we've tried. I don't know you or your situation- only the feelings you've expressed here. I do empathize. I've had a number of buddies leave here wounded...

I hope you will find more happiness in your home country, or wherever your heart takes you. Really.

you are all making excuses to make yourself feel better about following crazy rules.  I have to go report in "only" 4 times per year.  Just go to malaysia or singapore, etc. etc. 

does anyone going to our countries have to do this crap?  what does singapore have to do with an american or brit or whoever that goes to work in thailand?

are we all criminals?  are we living in some communist or facist state?  why do we need to report?

why do we have to carry our passports on us at all times?  see above.  our passports are valuable and they are totally disrespected.

people who live and work in our countries don't have all this hoopla and uncertainty always hanging over their heads.  how do you know one day when you go to report, you won't become a victim of extortion or worse?  how can you predict when one day, you won't be allowed back in after a visa run?  you don't.

in our countries, visas are done once, at the beginning.  people are told they are allowed to live and work in the country and that is that.  they can then go live like human beings.  not like animals.

I guess it depends on how much you want to live in Thailand.

I have been here since 1989 and for years, we used to have to take a 5 day trip to Penang every 2 months from Northern Thailand.

Now, I run up to Mai Sai every 3 months, and it is quite easy in comparison, but if I had to go back to the other way, I would do so.

It is amazing the whinging that goes on, on this board; If you don't like it; If you object to Thai ways and Thai morals; If you don't want to live here; just go home! :o

You are obviously pretty pissed off, Darth.

I don't like the rules either, but we are immigrants and Thailand can make rules as they see fit. I don't know which country you're from, but I suggest the rules are not as straightforward and easy as you make out in most western nations.

As Georgie said, in Thailand there is more than one way to ensure you can stay on if your heart is set on it.

Good luck!

I don't like the rules either, but we areimmigrants and Thailand can make rules as they see fit.

Most farangs aren't 'immigrants', per se. We aren't arrivinbg in Thailand with the right to live unimpeded and eventually get citizenship in a straightforward manner.

Thailand is a shithole is all.

In Korea, I got a 1 year working Visa, full medical, 50/50 pension and had to only leave the country once, at the beginning of my contract.

The deal is way better if you are married to a Korean, also. Immediate benefits.

Even Japan allows for citizehship, in quite a straightforward manner. I think you must renounce your native citizenship, but that is their right to specify and your right to refuse-provided you don't want the citizenship.

Thailand is just a piss-poor, racist nation wrapped up by Thai-Chinese who want to have foreign citizenships and houses and schhol overseas, (while crying racism, all too often), but don;t want to give jack back.

And I'm married to a Thai, have Thai kids and a place in Thailand, so I'm not just talking shit because I'm having a bad day...or essentially have no ties to the country.

I should naturally have lenty of bias for Thailand, but in reality can't see them doing shit for farangs.

IA

For some here, it's a lot about balance...

I know I can live in Japan and make a lot of money, but I don't like the Japanese lifestyle, culture, food, atitudes....

I know Korea is a beautiful country and has some good jobs, but I can't think of ANY other positives, for me.

Thailand has it's share of headaches, too, but, it's other aspects have, so far, balanced them enough for me to feel that this is my Home, where I feel quite content and happy, and I've learned to be a lot more cai yen here because it's what works best here for me.

Lots of ways to drive one's self crazy here.

Just as many ways for one to find peace of mind.

The choices are always yours... :o

The problem is always the same...

The people (generally) make you feel so welcome and are very embracing.

The officals (generally) make you feel like you're not worth the sh!t on their shoes.

You have to go through one to get to the other - a strange hot/cold scenario.

Nearly all the groundwork for my work permit is taken care by a sister company, so I've never experienced doing visa-runs, but it sounds like it's getting more of a headache every day...

I don't like the rules either, but we are immigrants and Thailand can make rules as they see fit.

Most farangs aren't 'immigrants', per se. We aren't arrivinbg in Thailand with the right to live unimpeded and eventually get citizenship in a straightforward manner.

Thailand is a shithole is all.

In Korea, I got a 1 year working Visa, full medical, 50/50 pension and had to only leave the country once, at the beginning of my contract.

The deal is way better if you are married to a Korean, also. Immediate benefits.

Even Japan allows for citizehship, in quite a straightforward manner. I think you must renounce your native citizenship, but that is their right to specify and your right to refuse-provided you don't want the citizenship.

Thailand is just a piss-poor, racist nation wrapped up by Thai-Chinese who want to have foreign citizenships and houses and schhol overseas, (while crying racism, all too often), but don;t want to give jack back.

And I'm married to a Thai, have Thai kids and a place in Thailand, so I'm not just talking shit because I'm having a bad day...or essentially have no ties to the country.

I should naturally have lenty of bias for Thailand, but in reality can't see them doing shit for farangs.

IA

I see your point.

My wife, Sino-Thai, got her MBA in the US 10 years ago. She had no problems starting a career with no restrictions in the US and went on to do very well. Now we're planning on emigrating to Thailand at the end of this year and it doesn't work the other way 'round; being married to a Thai buys you a bit, but not much. If you're married into a good family then you can do Okay; but then if you piss em off you're screwed.

The whole concept of a house-registration just blows me away - some kind of population control measure that one expects to see in a military dictatorship(supposedly a democracy now, you would think that this remnant of control would have already faded away) .

But look at the States - how many millions of lower level illegal workers from Latin America that get treated poorly, but are tolerated because the natives don't want to take the shit jobs.

The problem is always the same...

The people (generally) make you feel so welcome and are very embracing.

The officals (generally) make you feel like you're not worth the sh!t on their shoes.

You have to go through one to get to the other - a strange hot/cold scenario.

BRAVO