Beer In Thailand

Thanyaburi Mac

Moved from the "Thai visas, residency and work permits" forum:

What is the best way to get from Phuket to Vientiane? Are there direct flights? Also when staying in Vientiane what to do? Can some visa runners please give me some tips?

Lite Beer says, 1 March 08:

Fly to Bangkok, another flight to Udon Thanni then a 1 hour bus or taxi to the border.

Or get a bus from Phuket.

You can drink some decent beer rather than the rubbish we get in Thailand.

Sorry, a bit off topic but couldn't let this comment pass. "You can drink some decent beer rather than the rubbish we get in Thailand."

I've been sipping Singha now for 44 years and about 10 days, with a few breaks in between, but no real breaks for the last 18.5 years. A really good brew, I must say!

Must say, tho, that Beer Lao is also good but in a different way.  Was just up there 10 days ago, Savannakhet and out east to Tchepone/Sepone;  Thakhet and out east to the Mu Gia Pass;  Xaysomboun/Moung Cha/LS-113 area;  and Beer Lao available at every stop, plus SPY Wine Cooler for the wife, which did surprise me a bit.

Mac

So, what's this thread about?? :o

Hopefully beer.

I have been drinking Singha off and on for only 40 years plus 44 days and still like it. But I would really like to have an IPA every so often. I have never seen even an import IPA, let alone a decently (to my taste) hopped Thai beer. Has there been any "work around" developed here?

It was about how to get from Phukhet to Vientiane for a Thai visa.  I wanted to comment on Lite Beer's comment about suds but didn't want to get dinged by the friendly moderators, so moved my comment to this forum.

Original thread at the  "Thai visas, residency and work permits" forum.

Mac

It was about how to get from Phukhet to Vientiane for a Thai visa. I wanted to comment on Lite Beer's comment about suds but didn't want to get dinged by the friendly moderators, so moved my comment to this forum.

Original thread at the "Thai visas, residency and work permits" forum.

Mac

Well, I must admit, BEER is a far more interesting subject than VISAS.

I think the best bar I've been to in the world, is in Long Beach California. Can't for the life of me remember the name, but it is on the Broadwalk. It has about 150 beers from around the world...on tap.

Hic...I must go back on day, to try the other 2!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Seems the Mods were feeling kind and moved this off-topic question here instead of just 86ing it.

As for beer gotta go with palepilsenei9.jpg IMHO the best brew in SEA

Well, yes, as long as the San McGoo was brewed in the Philippines!  I've had the brew from HKG, Spain, and here, doesn't seem to compare.

Mac

Hey I bought a singha here in Sydney a few weeks ago. I was in the Banks hotel in Newtown Sydney and was shocked when I saw it sitting in the fridge, I just had to get one.

Almost felt like I was back in Thailand

Cannot go in anyway wrong with Beer Lao - minimal hangovers and great taste.

The Dark Beer Lao is my current favourite tipple however - they changed the recipe from when it first was release and now it's goes down sooooooooooooooo easy, 6.5% to boot. The only problem is it's only available in small bottles. :o Hopefully once the new brewery in Champasak is functioning they'll start do the 640ml bottles :D

Seems the Mods were feeling kind and moved this off-topic question here instead of just 86ing it.

As for beer gotta go with palepilsenei9.jpg IMHO the best brew in SEA

Well, yes, as long as the San McGoo was brewed in the Philippines!  I've had the brew from HKG, Spain, and here, doesn't seem to compare.

Mac

Yeah, gotta agree - the San Mig here in Singapore is imported from the PI's and the version available in Thailand (brewed in Nonthaburi from purest klong water) just doesn't hit the mark :D To be fair, I have that problem with most local brews of foreign beers (Heineken etc) and am not that keen on the Thai beers except for an occasional Singha - so Beer Lao gets my vote (and money) as a rule :o

CC

Beer Lao gets my vote (and money) as a rule :o

I had been told about how great Beer Lao was for years, then when i finally built up the courage to order one was thoroughly disappointed.

San Miguel Light is the way forward, with a lime in to make me you like a real man.